OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: choice of box calls  (Read 6361 times)

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Re: choice of box calls
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 06:04:22 PM »
Mike has a walnut/cedar halfmoon box in the classifieds right now for $40.

You WILL NOT go wrong with that call.  If you buy it and DON'T like it........... I'll buy it from YOU.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline uk.turkey.hunter

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 09:01:35 AM »
So I've got 2 questions for you all after reading these posts. 1) How do I get a hold of Mike at Spring Creek Calls and 2) Can anyone tell me the sound difference between a short box and a long box?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 09:21:11 AM »
So I've got 2 questions for you all after reading these posts. 1) How do I get a hold of Mike at Spring Creek Calls and 2) Can anyone tell me the sound difference between a short box and a long box?
Here is Mike's profile here and his website. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?action=profile;u=304

http://springcreekturkeycalls.weebly.com/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline uk.turkey.hunter

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »
Has anyone ran a box from Ridgecreek turkey calls?

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 09:58:52 AM »
Regarding sound differences, it can vary depending on how the call is tuned. But in general the short box will be lower pitched will produce fine yelps, clucks, putts, etc. Short boxes also tend to sound like 1 or 2 hens. Long boxes will provide a greater range of turkey sounds and often produce great kee kees and young hen sounds along with gobbler and Jake yelps. You can produce gobbles with either call. Short boxes are easier to run I’d say as well. Either one is a terrific option if built by a reputable callmaker and if you put in the practice time with it.

Offline uk.turkey.hunter

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 10:10:00 AM »
Regarding sound differences, it can vary depending on how the call is tuned. But in general the short box will be lower pitched will produce fine yelps, clucks, putts, etc. Short boxes also tend to sound like 1 or 2 hens. Long boxes will provide a greater range of turkey sounds and often produce great kee kees and young hen sounds along with gobbler and Jake yelps. You can produce gobbles with either call. Short boxes are easier to run I’d say as well. Either one is a terrific option if built by a reputable callmaker and if you put in the practice time with it.

So if I would like to run some yelps, clucks then I would run a short box? I you had to choise to only run 1 of those boxes which one would it be? The short box?

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2020, 10:43:56 AM »
Either box will produce the turkey sounds you mentioned. I'd say start with a short box and master it and then move on to a long box. The short box has a spring under the lid and a shorter rail which make it easier to run. Most long boxes don't have a spring under the lid and have a longer rail. I'd say that most people take longer to learn to run a long box. However, once mastered the long box can produce a wider range of turkey sounds. You can't go wrong with either one.

Offline uk.turkey.hunter

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 10:50:50 AM »
Either box will produce the turkey sounds you mentioned. I'd say start with a short box and master it and then move on to a long box. The short box has a spring under the lid and a shorter rail which make it easier to run. Most long boxes don't have a spring under the lid and have a longer rail. I'd say that most people take longer to learn to run a long box. However, once mastered the long box can produce a wider range of turkey sounds. You can't go wrong with either one.

Ok, that make since to me then. Have you ran or heard any of the Woodhaven short boxes? I like Woodhaven mouth calls but don't know if the box calls are worth the money.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 11:00:53 AM »
TJ johnson is making some of the best box calls going right now.  $200 price range.

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »
I haven't, but I do agree with earlier comments about Spring Creek. Also SS and others, there is a boatload of short box callmakers out there making fine calls. I think one of the reasons that Spring Creek keeps coming up is that you can get a great call, at a great price and probably have it in the mail in the next few days.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2020, 11:04:14 AM »
TJ johnson is making some of the best box calls going right now.  $200 price range.

sorry, missed less expensive...  if you are close enough go see Lonnie Marbry.  i think he sells his boxes for $40? 50$? 

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2020, 11:35:41 AM »

Ok, that make since to me then. Have you ran or heard any of the Woodhaven short boxes? I like Woodhaven mouth calls but don't know if the box calls are worth the money.
I noticed the UK in your name, how long have to been hunting turkey? I did not think they had them in the UK?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline uk.turkey.hunter

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »

I noticed the UK in your name, how long have to been hunting turkey? I did not think they had them in the UK?

Oh! The UK is for University of Kentucky (UK). Sorry I'm a Big Blue Fan! lol Please don't hold that against me. lol

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2020, 11:39:55 AM »

Oh! The UK is for University of Kentucky (UK). Sorry I'm a Big Blue Fan! lol Please don't hold that against me. lol
I should have realized, I have a friend that is a big UK fan, she really likes basketball.

John Koenig:

Offline uk.turkey.hunter

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2020, 11:49:58 AM »

I should have realized, I have a friend that is a big UK fan, she really likes basketball.

Yep, most people who are BB fan's absolutily love basketball but here in recent years all the sports programs have really started improving. Football team has shocked some people and the baseball team is super strong. The ladies basketball team has had huge success and the ladies softball team is awesome now too!