OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: choice of box calls  (Read 6360 times)

Offline bwromine

choice of box calls
« on: March 24, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »
Greetings from a South Georgia newbie. Quail hunting has been my passion for 50 years but age is making walking behind hunting dogs difficult. Began to turkey hunt a couple of years ago. I know most of you have custom calls, but I am looking for advise on less expensive box calls in the range of Primos 'Tall Timber Gabriel', Primos 'Box Cutter', and Lynch 'American Patriot' calls. Would appreciate reviews and suggestions of these, or others, in this price range.
    Thanks,
bwromine

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: choice of box calls
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 10:50:38 AM »
If you're searching for a well tuned box at an entry level production price, you're hard pressed to beat a Rohm Brothers box.

:z-twocents:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »
If you're searching for a well tuned box at an entry level production price, you're hard pressed to beat a Rohm Brothers box.

:z-twocents:

X2

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 11:53:35 AM »
X3

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 12:42:07 PM »
Greetings from a South Georgia newbie. Quail hunting has been my passion for 50 years but age is making walking behind hunting dogs difficult. Began to turkey hunt a couple of years ago. I know most of you have custom calls, but I am looking for advise on less expensive box calls in the range of Primos 'Tall Timber Gabriel', Primos 'Box Cutter', and Lynch 'American Patriot' calls. Would appreciate reviews and suggestions of these, or others, in this price range.
    Thanks,
bwromi :emoticon-animal-005:ne
[/quote
  I realize your looking for a less expensive box, but maybe in the future you could make a trip to visit Lonnie Mabry he is in Canton, Georgia. His long and shortboxes are 75 and his pot calls are 30, wingbone 20, and cane yelper 10. If you know nothing about Mr. Mabry you would have an awesome day chatting turkey and his calls are awesome!

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 02:37:16 PM »
For a semi custom call that you can get quickly, I’d highly recommend primos tall timber Gabriel box call. I’ve had a lot of high dollar custom boxes and this one is better than many I’ve had. Very easy to play and makes great sounding yelps and cutts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline bwromine

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 02:59:11 PM »
Thanks to all who replied. Very helpful.
BWR

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 06:02:29 PM »
Our own OG Forums brother Mike of Spring Creek Calls can get you in a real talker of a box call for the price of the Primos.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline 2nd 100

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 06:59:53 PM »
I will x2 Mike at Spring creek . have a couple shorts and longs from him . picked up several used boxes from other callmakers from him thru the years . Super nice and knowledgeable young man . Hard to beat in his price range .

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 07:40:57 PM »
Our own OG Forums brother Mike of Spring Creek Calls can get you in a real talker of a box call for the price of the Primos.

Agree with Yoder 100% - if you in for the price of the Primos, well then I'd definitely ring Spring Creek! No question.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 09:04:55 PM »

Agree with Yoder 100% - if you in for the price of the Primos, well then I'd definitely ring Spring Creek! No question.
x3 - 4

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 09:08:10 PM »
I will x2 Mike at Spring creek . have a couple shorts and longs from him . picked up several used boxes from other callmakers from him thru the years . Super nice and knowledgeable young man . Hard to beat in his price range .
I agree, he makes a great one and has great costumer service.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 09:46:42 PM »
  definitely agree with all the comments above, Mike is a great guy to deal with and makes a great call as well.

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 07:28:29 AM »
Yup spent some time with Mike at Turkey Trot this past summer.  Super nice guy and makes a heck of a box call that you would be happy with!
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Offline bwromine

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 10:08:51 AM »
All replies are appreciated and helpful. Seems I have all the information being sought, and unlikely I can go wrong with any of the recommendations!   Again, my thanks for each of your replies.
      bwr