OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TSS opinions  (Read 1934 times)

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
TSS opinions
« on: March 24, 2020, 09:26:34 AM »
Sorry I posted this on another thread also but I wanted to create a separate thread for it.

What is your guys opinion on TSS I. A 12 gauge. I already patterned my 835 but I also have a Mossberg 535 that I am going to pattern for my backup. J have been using Winchester LB 3" and they have been great. But with everyone talking about how great TSS is it got me thinking. Just hard to pay $40.00-$50.00 for 5 shells. What say you guys is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: TSS opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:50:07 AM »
Just my opinion but in my 12 gauge 3.5" guns I don't see the need for it. Not fighting it but there isn't anything I would do with it that I wouldn't do with the Long Beards. What it does do is adds a whole new dimension to the muzzle loaders and small bores like a 410, 28 and 20 gauge. In older guns that are safe with high pressure modern loads the 2 3/4" TSS lets them act like a modern turkey gun. I killed birds years ago with ammo that some people now wouldn't believe would kill a turkey. It turned my 28 gauge into a fully capable 40+ yard gun. That's ok but I prefer calling them up in my lap.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »
That's what I was thinking also just wanted some opinions other than my own. Don't want to be that guy that is stuck in my ways.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »
One of the big benefits is that it allows for guys to downsize in gauge to a lighter gun with the same past performance of a 12. It’s also turned the little 410 into a proven killer, which is awesome for young kids starting out. Personally, if you want the utmost in devastation like I do, that’s when you load them in a 12 gauge. 538 tss pellets within a ten inch ball does not apologize when it makes impact. It simply crushes them. Also if my range estimation is off by a few yards, I have that insurance to ensure a clean kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline TNTRKYHunter

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 10:17:15 PM »
One of the big benefits is that it allows for guys to downsize in gauge to a lighter gun with the same past performance of a 12. It’s also turned the little 410 into a proven killer, which is awesome for young kids starting out. Personally, if you want the utmost in devastation like I do, that’s when you load them in a 12 gauge. 538 tss pellets within a ten inch ball does not apologize when it makes impact. It simply crushes them. Also if my range estimation is off by a few yards, I have that insurance to ensure a clean kill.

538 in a ten inch circle!! Wow. That’s a hot core. I agree with everyone regarding how TSS allows a 20 to 410 g shotguns to effectively kill turkeys. I hand load TSS and hunt with a 20g. But, with all that said. I have a couple of friends that shoot LB’s and those patterns are crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 10:32:15 PM »

538 in a ten inch circle!! Wow. That’s a hot core. I agree with everyone regarding how TSS allows a 20 to 410 g shotguns to effectively kill turkeys. I hand load TSS and hunt with a 20g. But, with all that said. I have a couple of friends that shoot LB’s and those patterns are crazy.

Yes it is nuts, I’ve never had a gun that would throw this kind of pattern before. Honestly I almost think it’s too much. Anything under forty yards would have to be shot high chest at the base of the neck due to the incredibly tight ball of shot at closer range. Almost like shooting a rifle. I use an aimpoint red dot and carry a small bipod hunting to try and improve accuracy. The federal tss doesn’t put up the huge numbers in the core like that, but it does throw a pretty and even pattern. It’s probably the better hunting choice if I’m being honest.

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:25:01 PM »

Yes it is nuts, I’ve never had a gun that would throw this kind of pattern before. Honestly I almost think it’s too much. Anything under forty yards would have to be shot high chest at the base of the neck due to the incredibly tight ball of shot at closer range. Almost like shooting a rifle. I use an aimpoint red dot and carry a small bipod hunting to try and improve accuracy. The federal tss doesn’t put up the huge numbers in the core like that, but it does throw a pretty and even pattern. It’s probably the better hunting choice if I’m being honest.

I agree that the TSS really shines with the sub gauges. I currently hand-load for a TC 20 gauge. Killed two nice birds with it last year and while I am also set up to load for the 12g feel no desire to do so. However, should I decide to load for the 12 I would load 2 3/4 as the 3" is too much in my opinion.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 08:16:37 AM »
I hand load for around 100 cartridges. I have a 20ga loader and a 28ga loader. I haven't loaded TSS for either one yet. What TSS I use so far I bought Apex and it just works. If I do start loading TSS it will probably be in the 28.

The 12ga 2 3/4 with 2oz #8 throws a monstrous pattern from all of my 12 gauges. I figure a 3" or 3.5" won't kill them any deader. The long beard 3.5-5-2 out of all of my 3.5" guns is about as deadly as it gets. I don't plan on shooting far enough that the TSS would come into play.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 08:22:26 AM »
I shoot Longbeards 3"#5 out of my 835 and this is the pattern I get so no need to change that. If I decide to go with the TSS in my 535 I will post some pictures

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 09:05:38 AM »
That is a dead bird.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 09:20:15 AM »
That's at 45

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline TNTRKYHunter

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »
That's at 45

There’s no need to change anything!! That’s devastating!!