Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Dumbest Public Land Encounter

Started by macobb, March 23, 2020, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

Well I say you learn something new every year and what I learned yesterday is don't doubt how low some people are. Had a bird working Sunday morning. Struck him about 250 yards out. Because of the open hardwoods I decided not to press him since I had the high ground and a bench with basically no leaves from their scratching I decided to coax him up there. Hour passes by and he's closed to about 150 yards. So I hit him hard cutting on him. He triple gobbles just over the other side of the ridge and then BOOM! A shot rings out. I walk over the ridge to see what I thought was a hen sneaking down the ridge between me and the bird was some A-hole who had slinked down behind the ridge and snuck between me and the Tom. Of course his DA says "Hey it's all public land." Absolute dumbest and most dangerous thing I think I have ever encountered. Don't ever think someone isn't dumb enough to do something cause there's always someone dumb enough.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

turkey_slayer

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times that's happened to me.  Last time was with a bird I had about 30 yards but he just wouldn't step in a clear lane.  Bird ends up putting and catches flight while a guy empties the gun on him.  He had snuck in from the other side of the Turkey so if he had shot while it was on the ground I prob would have took a face full.  I went ballistic on the guy in front of his kid while he profusely apologized. 

catman529

That sounds pretty typical really. Probably the #1 complaint of public turkey hunters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtns2hunt

First two weeks of Turkey hunting on public ground scares me. Now I wait until after the first two weeks to hunt public (providing I have any tags left). I then go as far back as possible. In the mean time I hunt private. Not much trespassing on private land as I have let it be known I have cameras everywhere. Cameras are a great deterrent.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Clwg97

Grew up hunting Mark Twain forest in Missouri, ran into every kind or turkey hunter imaginable. Even came across a guy trying to bust up flocks like you would in fall, this guy always managed to scrape out a bird each year. Definitely hard to not get down, but just know it will only take 1 good bird gobbling in your face and you will forget all about it.