OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Permar Trumpet  (Read 4510 times)

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
Permar Trumpet
« on: March 23, 2020, 06:55:40 PM »
I’ve been hunting with trumpets for a few years and have come to love their versatility and sound. I just ordered my first Ralph Permar trumpet, a model 1930 with amber mouthpiece. Looking forward to getting it. Anybody hunt with one of these and have any feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Permar Trumpet
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 08:44:50 PM »
Good choice - I would definitely put Permar in the top three callmakers. Share pics when it arrives!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 09:11:12 PM »
I think you will be happy with any of Ralph’s calls. I have his delrin 45 and it’s a great sounding call. I have been wanting a 1930 but haven’t got it yet.

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 10:19:24 PM »
 :z-winnersmiley:Ive got several of Ralphs calls. I really like his classic, 1920, and 1940.

My favorite is the 1920 followed by the 1940
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:52:50 PM by savduck »
Georgia Boy

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 10:20:56 PM »
I will definitely share some pics when it hits my mailbox. I actually called about his little Jordan yelper. He ran one over the phone for me, then played a walnut 1930 for comparison. Something about the sound of that 1930 caught my attention. Yes it was somewhat high pitched, but it finished with a ear catching little rasp that I fell in love with. We talked turkey hunting for a little while and Ralph shared with me that he hunts a walnut 1930 more than any of his trumpets, and it has a sound that seems to get birds gobbling. I’ll be sending him a money order tomorrow. Side note- he has some trumpets available on hand with no wait. Due to the quarantine he has been steadily building calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »
I've got three of Ralph's calls. a 1930 Model, a Bocote Roanoke and a Mexican Cocobolo 1940 Model. The 1940 model is the smoothest drawing trumpet I own and will be around my neck opening morning here in South Carolina in a few weeks. You made an excellent choice in the 1930 Model. Ralph makes outstanding trumpets and is a fine gentleman to talk turkey and deal with. You can't beat his calls.

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 07:25:16 AM »
I have one of Ralph's 45s and its an awesome call.  You will be very happy with anything that Ralph makes.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Offline Paladin85

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 06:35:15 PM »
Permar’s 1930 style trumpet is a great call. I can a bit of rasp from it that I don’t get with other trumpets. It’s one of two that I will have in my vest for the opener next Wednesday.

Offline k4brannon

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 07:36:19 PM »
I just got a trumpet from Ralph he called a spring yelper. It's as easy a running trumpet as iv played and looks just as good. Won't be the last one I get from him.

Offline shatcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 09:47:35 PM »
What's the number on that spring yelper?  I just got # 25.  Easy player.  Good looking too.  Ralph is truly a nice fellar.

Offline k4brannon

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 01:19:53 PM »
#20 Bolivian Rosewood

Online Deast1988

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 08:36:49 AM »
I got a 1930 style from him last week an really like it, I’ll have a .45 from him sometime in June.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 09:12:49 AM »
I have a bunch of Ralph's trumpets. One of my favorites is his Spring trumpet as others mentioned. It plays so easy a kid could play it and sound good. I have a spare coming I like the call so much. Every trumpet I've ever bought from him I've been happy with. What's even better is he's a very humble and great guy to talk with...

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 10:58:35 AM »
What's even better is he's a very humble and great guy to talk with...

That is 110% truth.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »
You guys pressured me into it I ordered a 1930 yesterday.Looking forward to getting it.