OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Social Responsibility and Turkey hunting.  (Read 7044 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Social Responsibility and Turkey hunting.
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2020, 07:29:40 PM »
Amen my brother, amen.......
“Solo hunter”

Offline idgobble

« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »
It’s easy to look around and see how this crisis has brought out the worst in some people — from some entrepreneurs over charging to revelers crowding bars and restaurants despite public-health guidelines. But such irresponsible behavior, I believe, is more the exception than the rule. Time and again, individuals, organizations, and communities have demonstrated that the worst situations tend to bring out the best in people and the organizations to which they belong.  So I'm doing all I can to limit my exposure to others and I hope everyone else will, too, but I can see that there is a % of our population that is completely ignorant and irresponsible.  They're the ones who are exacerbating the problem and will ultimately be responsible for more people dying.  One of my buddies is always saying, "You can't fix stupid".  That's what we have to deal with, unfortunately.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2020, 08:47:42 PM »
This lengthy thread is a microcosm of society and I am very glad to see that the vast majority of folks are caring and considerate. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2020, 10:13:53 PM »
What kills me is the New Yorkers fleeing the city, some unknowingly infected, and spreading the virus all over the place.  Florida is placing many of them on quarantine, but one has to realize that is how it spreads.  A scary disease.  I’m going hunting alone and not stopping anywhere, coming and going.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2020, 10:18:52 PM »
What kills me is the New Yorkers fleeing the city, some unknowingly infected, and spreading the virus all over the place.  Florida is placing many of them on quarantine, but one has to realize that is how it spreads.  A scary disease.  I’m going hunting alone and not stopping anywhere, coming and going.
New York City residents, not New Yorker's, please don't put us all in the same box. Thank you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2020, 09:04:16 AM »
There is a fourth scenario to what OG mentioned and that is develop a vaccine and drugs to combat the symptoms/out breaks as they occur. The medical research is the US is some of the best in the world. The reports seem to indicate there is some hope in these areas.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2020, 09:16:58 AM »
 I think that in the midst of this virus taking over a lot of people have forgotten that other medical emergencies have not stopped. People are still having heart attacks, are in car accidents, having appendicitis, cutting a finger off with a skill-saw, getting bit by rattle snakes, falling & breaking a leg/hip, etc.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2020, 11:41:58 AM »
Sooner or later we open business and life goes forward. The virus will spread and we will have a big spike.  Early on they said pro a lying 60 percent get it. 
I will travel to hunt if I can do so with reasonable safety.  We will see what it looks like as my trip date approaches.  So far my travel plans hAve been a bust, the virus being a partial factor. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2020, 11:59:15 AM »
Keep our spirits up,  we can get by this.........This is America my friends.......
“Solo hunter”

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2020, 12:07:33 PM »
In Summary:
1)  Listen to the professionals, not the naysayers (they might get you killed!)
2)  Be smart,... not stubborn, arrogant, or influenced by your politics
3)  Use your common sense!

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2020, 12:27:13 PM »
In Summary:
This right here. Good advice for all to remember.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2020, 01:03:49 PM »
In Summary:

One of the best posts in this thread.

Offline ddturkeyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2020, 02:16:26 PM »
I am hunting, I will limit interaction with strangers and social distancing is not very difficult.  I need to buy food regardless of weather I am on a hunting trip so will exercise distance at the grocery store.

Gas stations I rarely go into so paying at the pump I can keep from spreading or contracting with some wipes or gloves.  I can take pit stops to address the call of nature anywhere for the most part.

As far as the Dems, I could not agree more, but if you don't think repubs are a problem that is a whole other can of worms!

Be careful, hunt safe and enjoy the great outdoors!

I am staying away from people as much as possible. But real hard if you have to travel by plane. Tag out in Hawaii, more on that later. Head home tonight rest of hunting will be by auto. So have that figure out, I hope. And  if I screw up and infect someone else I also will maybe have paid the price. Because I am getting up in age and have extra health problems.
As far as both parties go I think they both better learn to give and take better 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2020, 02:25:26 PM »
Hey what's that thing you call "common Sense", is that a new sub-species of turkey. You wouldn't have a picture of it would you? I don't believe I've seen many of those critters

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2020, 02:42:46 PM »
Hey what's that thing you call "common Sense", is that a new sub-species of turkey. You wouldn't have a picture of it would you? I don't believe I've seen many of those critters

:TooFunny: