Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Social Responsibility and Turkey hunting.

Started by Marc, March 23, 2020, 01:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Quote from: howl on March 24, 2020, 10:57:13 AM
'bout tired of backward thinking trying to make the virus fit the available treatment capacity. The American way to gear up to fight, not try to hide. You can't hide. Most people will get it. Few will die. All these people not working could be quickly put to work making face masks and respirators to increase capacity and shorten the period of threat.

All this flatten the curve nonsense will increase the duration of the viral threat, tank the economy and make suffering and lost more widespread than the virus only ever could.

The government needs to get out of the way with regulation and taxation so people can fight this thing.

Yeah that "get it over" strategy is working real well in Italy.  Flatten the curve is to make sure a) enough people  that need to can be treated and b)other people don't die of other diseases because the healthcare system is overwhelmed.  These are not opinions.  These are facts.  It is Philadelphia vs Louisville in the Spanish Flu epidemic.  Those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Big Guy

Quote from: g8rvet on March 24, 2020, 11:58:31 AM
'bout tired of backward thinking trying to make the virus fit the available treatment capacity. The American way to gear up to fight, not try to hide. You can't hide. Most people will get it. Few will die. All these people not working could be quickly put to work making face masks and respirators to increase capacity and shorten the period of threat.

All this flatten the curve nonsense will increase the duration of the viral threat, tank the economy and make suffering and lost more widespread than the virus only ever could.

The government needs to get out of the way with regulation and taxation so people can fight this thing.

Yeah that "get it over" strategy is working real well in Italy.  Flatten the curve is to make sure a) enough people  that need to can be treated and b)other people don't die of other diseases because the healthcare system is overwhelmed.  These are not opinions.  These are facts.  It is Philadelphia vs Louisville in the Spanish Flu epidemic.  Those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it.
Glad to see someone gets it.  Being a tough guy and fighting the virus because that's what Americans do is a is a perfect way to spread the virus and overload the healthcare system.  If we wait until the numbers are bad to do anything it will be far too late.  If this thing does not end up being as bad as predicted in will be BECAUSE of the isolating efforts not in spite of them.

Marc

I have friends that are ER docs, and they initially felt the same way (as did I)...

But as it currently stands, we do not have the physical resources to fight this infection if it were to take off quickly.  We are not producing our own pharmaceuticals,  nor are we producing much of our own emergency medical equipment, we do not have enough beds, or respirators, and we would have no way of providing resources (such as food or clean water) to those that were not ill if a large percentage of the population were to get this infection simultaneously.

Now, imagine enough people sick that there is no means for adequate health care, no stores open to purchase food, a diminished police force, and desperate people trying to get resources to survive with their families, in a country as large and diverse as the U.S.  That is what we are trying to avoid...  Worst case scenario for sure, but not implausible.

Talking to my friends in medicine, and following as much of the relevant information I can, it is widely thought that this infection will eventually be endemic...  Meaning that most American will have come in contact with this infection at some time...  The current goal is slow the curve, and bide some time in hopes of coming up with treatments, and eventually a vaccine.

The UK was initially attempting a strategy called "managed spread" hoping to create "herd immunity" and shorten the length of economic catastrophe...  But, apparently, they came to the realization that they do not have the resources to deal with the high numbers of sick people all at once either, and their strategy model has changed to prevention of spread.

As to the current politics...  I have always felt that there was a benefit to the two-party system, in that when an idea is passed by both sides it is generally a good idea, and very often poor or partisan ideas do not get passed...  And while I feel that Trump is in no way a perfect president, the hatred of him from the dems, is creating an extremely dangerous partisan situation, which is now endangering both the health and economy of the nation...

Currently there is no such thing as a moderate, and if this partisan BS does not stop now, I fear that we could potentially be facing other issues outside of this virus...   The hatred of the far left towards anyone on the right, and the hatred of the right towards the far left is becoming an unhealthy political and philosophical divide....

As a moderate, the progressive pork positions that the current dems are trying to push through will not help the country, and will NOT pull us together as a nation.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

"Now, imagine enough people sick that there is no means for adequate health care, no stores open to purchase food"

This is EXACTLY what is happening in Italy and New York City.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Gooserbat

Quote from: g8rvet on March 24, 2020, 01:30:11 PM
"Now, imagine enough people sick that there is no means for adequate health care, no stores open to purchase food"

This is EXACTLY what is happening in Italy and New York City.

Country people have food. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

g8rvet

Right.  Sorry.  I really only meant to include healthcare in the quote.  Food supplies are not an issue for much of the US at any point.

Tail Feathers

This could easily get to where the cure is worse than the virus.  Lose tens of thousands to see virus or lose tens of thousands to starvation and suicide in a major world wide depression.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

howl

Quote from: Marc on March 24, 2020, 01:19:59 PM

I have friends that are ER docs, and they initially felt the same way (as did I)...

But as it currently stands, we do not have the physical resources to fight this infection if it were to take off quickly.  We are not producing our own pharmaceuticals,  nor are we producing much of our own emergency medical equipment, we do not have enough beds, or respirators, and we would have no way of providing resources (such as food or clean water) to those that were not ill if a large percentage of the population were to get this infection simultaneously.

Now, imagine enough people sick that there is no means for adequate health care, no stores open to purchase food, a diminished police force, and desperate people trying to get resources to survive with their families, in a country as large and diverse as the U.S.  That is what we are trying to avoid...  Worst case scenario for sure, but not implausible.

Talking to my friends in medicine, and following as much of the relevant information I can, it is widely thought that this infection will eventually be endemic...  Meaning that most American will have come in contact with this infection at some time...  The current goal is slow the curve, and bide some time in hopes of coming up with treatments, and eventually a vaccine.

The UK was initially attempting a strategy called "managed spread" hoping to create "herd immunity" and shorten the length of economic catastrophe...  But, apparently, they came to the realization that they do not have the resources to deal with the high numbers of sick people all at once either, and their strategy model has changed to prevention of spread.

As to the current politics...  I have always felt that there was a benefit to the two-party system, in that when an idea is passed by both sides it is generally a good idea, and very often poor or partisan ideas do not get passed...  And while I feel that Trump is in no way a perfect president, the hatred of him from the dems, is creating an extremely dangerous partisan situation, which is now endangering both the health and economy of the ...

Currently there is no such thing as a moderate, and if this partisan BS does not stop now, I fear that we could potentially be facing other issues outside of this virus...   The hatred of the far left towards anyone on the right, and the hatred of the right towards the far left is becoming an unhealthy political and philosophical divide....

As a moderate, the progressive pork positions that the current dems are trying to push through will not help the country, and will NOT pull us together as a .

Right. We have not currently got the capacity and so must develop it. Government of any flavor is not capable of solving this. Printing enough money to float everyone for three months without sending the country into economic chaos isn't possible. "Flattening the curve" and intentionally entering economic depression will result in more death.

A car manufacturer stopping production of vehicles to make ventilators to is the kind of solution we have. There is an awful lot of labor sitting idle which could be put to work if everyone weren't scared witless and blocked by government regulation. Get .gov out of the way so private companies can provide aggressive testing to find out who to quarantine like Iceland and South Korea. Same for equipment to treat people instead of just letting them die like Italy. Citing a bad example and wanting to just try to do it "better" is insanity.

But, and I hate to repeat it here, but but BUT not working for months is not an option. A long hot summer on rice and beans and no a/c or adequate hygiene will kill some of these old people just as dead as any virus anyhow.

g8rvet

I see what you are saying howl and that makes more sense.  We have to solve this without permanently crippling the economy that will kill off more folks as well.  It is a delicate balancing act and there are no easy solutions.  Glad we have someone in office that sees the ability of the private sector to help the country instead of just throwing money at it. 

LOL Warrent.  Typical.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 23, 2020, 03:18:59 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on March 23, 2020, 01:23:05 PMVery good advice.  A lot of folks will downplay it and say it is media driven or politics driven, but this is going to be a long, devastating ride before it is done.
While everything you said, and the sentiments expressed in this entire post are accurate, don't forget that it truly is the Democrats and the main stream media, which is the propaganda arm of the Democrat party, fueling the panic with misinformation and hysteria. The more harmful this virus is to the American people, and to the US economy, it is a boon to the Democrat politicians.
They are using anything and everything they can to try to take down President Trump and keep him from getting re-elected. So while the virus is real, and serious precautions need to be taken, never forget that the panic related to the virus has been manufactured by the Democrats.

Agreed JimBo! They are the real Virus. Now they are withholding aid, something they tried to impeach the president for  SMH! ???
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Howie g

Are some of you fellas serious?? It may take missing a few turkey hunts around home , or missing a out of state hunt  to protect your family. Nobody loves chasing the spring more then me , and I mean nobody ... but my family's well being comes lst !  Some of you better get your head out the sand !  Making light of this mess as some of you are is just ludicrous!   

LaLongbeard

Quote from: warrent423 on March 24, 2020, 01:43:51 PM
Short of either hospitalization or death, I have and will be Spring Turkey Hunting on into at least the second Sunday in May, regardless of national or state seasonal shutdown. NOTHING or NOBODY will keep me from hunting Gobblers in the Spring. Turkey hunting is what I live for.

Agreed
NOBODY has even tried to explain how a solo Turkey hunter is going to add to the risk. All you experts in "China flu" get together and get me an answer by tomorrow if you can, or just shut lol. Are y'all trying to tell me you are not going anywhere gas station,grocery store,pharmacy etc. just sitting in your TP bunker working on "curve flattening charts"? The Government said don't hoard food just by a weeks supply. So what are all you responsible citizens gonna do in a week or 15 days or next Sept.( time frame depends on which news show is doing the hyping). Unless your gonna stay in the TP bunker till Pelosi let's you out, you will be taking and contributing the same risk as a turkey hunter. 
    On top of all that not everyone drives a truck that gets 3 miles a gallon, or requires a whole bag of donuts, and a case on Mountain Dew to hunt from daylight till 9:30. I usually hunt all day and don't need to stop anywhere. There's not been a single case of "bat stew flu"  in my parish, maybe everyone here doesn't lick door knobs?
     Finally y'all need to realize some of us are not scared of this virus. And some of us take Hunting Turkeys serous. 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Howie g

The above proves my case and point ... ^

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Howie g on March 24, 2020, 07:29:08 PM

So that's gonna be a NO on any answer to the question? Got it. Have fun in the bunker I hope the Democrats don't forget some of you lol
      Ps I heard 3 Gobblers this morning and none of them had the flu!
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Howie g

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 24, 2020, 07:33:55 PM
Quote from: Howie g on March 24, 2020, 07:29:08 PM

So that's gonna be a NO on any answer to the question? Got it. Have fun in the bunker I hope the Democrats don't forget some of you lol
      Ps I heard 3 Gobblers this morning and none of them had the flu!
.   Man , I pray you don't catch this virus ,  seems you don't have many brain cells to spare .  Ps, good luck in collecting 2 of the 3 gobblers you heard . Seems killing turkeys is very important to you .