OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Social Responsibility and Turkey hunting.

Started by Marc, March 23, 2020, 01:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I decided to post this on a stand alone thread, after posting a similar response on a different thread.

We all have a social responsibility to reduce slow the rate of infection of this virus.  Just because it is not in your area yet, does not mean it will not present itself.

Remember the virus can survive on surfaces (such as gas handles, money, countertops, etc.), and potentially be transmitted to someone else who touches those same surfaces.  And MOST PEOPLE ARE ASYMPTOMATIC while initially spreading this infection...  That is one of the most scary and dangerous aspects of this infection.

It is NOT the act of turkey hunting that will spread the virus...  It is the INCIDENTAL INTERACTIONS, such as getting gas or a snack in the area you are hunting.  Handing money to someone, pumping gas and touching a handle that someone else has or will touched... 

I will be hunting this season, but I will stay close to home...  I will get gas before I leave.  I will be supplied with food/water, etc...  I will not stop at any stores, gas stations, or anywhere there is a chance of physical interaction, and will avoid coming into close proximity to anyone.

By all known information, this infection will come to most areas in this country, and will likely be endemic (meaning most Americans will come in contact with it).  The goal currently is to reduce the rate of spread and transmission so that we do not overload the health system, and potentially are able to come up with treatments or vaccines so that less people are seriously effected.

Please be socially responsible.  Do what you can (at home and while hunting) to decrease the risk of transmitting or acquiring this infection.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

Very good advice.  A lot of folks will downplay it and say it is media driven or politics driven, but this is going to be a long, devastating ride before it is done.  I am praying for the safety of all folks everywhere and that people will listen to the advice of stopping non-essential travel.  Some people will just ignore the warning until they or someone they love gets gravely ill. 

Those of us that just went through Hurricane Michael (and the good folks in Tennessee with the tornado, South Carolina with the flooding a couple years back, etc) learned that life will eventually return to normal, but be prepared for it to last a good long while.  Don't panic, but use sense, stay safe, care for others by not being a vector of spread.  Missing a hunt is a small price to pay to safe a life.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Tom007

I plan on social distance adherence till at least July. I will follow these rules till this thing is long, long gone. Solo turkey hunts this season for 30 plus days is my immediate plan stating Mid April. We will prevail, this is America.....
"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

I agree with the sentiments expressed.  Even so, there are activities that are innocuous as far as potentially spreading this virus.  IMO, a well-planned and thought-out hunting trip away from society, and with the proper precautions taken, regardless of where it might be, falls into this category. 

Unless otherwise prevented from going, I will be taking my planned trips,...and will implement the necessary precautions needed.  By now, everybody should know what they need to be doing. Anybody that doesn't hasn't been paying attention,...and for whatever reason, probably doesn't care.   

There are so many variables that are part of our everyday lives that we can't control.  However, there are many that we can by applying just a modicum of common sense.  Control the ones you can as carefully as you can,...but sacrificing the things in life you cherish that will make no difference to the overall outcome will do nothing to help the situation. 

Turkeyman

Agree with the above but it will be very very difficult not to spread the virus if you unfortunately come into contact with it. Scenario: You go to the grocery store and pick up a few items. What if an infected person touched them, or sneezed on them, before you came along? Okay you don't touch your face and upon leaving use the sanitizer. Now you go home, put the infected items away and decide to wash your hands...or not, because you used the sanitizer upon exiting the grocery store. Turn on the faucet...oops, you just infected the handle, plus if the infected item(s) was plastic or stainless it will live for 2 or 3 days. We can all come up with dozens of such scenarios and, to not come down with it, may be more luck than anything else.

On a personal note, my wife just came off weeks of chemo and is now getting radiation. During chemo, she came down and was hospitalized with pneumonia for a week. After that she developed diverticulitis...another week in the hospital. Both due to a compromised immune system. We are trying to be extra careful but, as said, it may end up being more luck than anything.

1iagobblergetter

We can social distance all we can and hopefully it slows things down,but mail,packages,supplies are not abiding by the state lines being closed or our social distancing.
Only chance I see of not adventually coming down with it is a vaccine.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on March 23, 2020, 01:23:05 PMVery good advice.  A lot of folks will downplay it and say it is media driven or politics driven, but this is going to be a long, devastating ride before it is done.
While everything you said, and the sentiments expressed in this entire post are accurate, don't forget that it truly is the Democrats and the main stream media, which is the propaganda arm of the Democrat party, fueling the panic with misinformation and hysteria. The more harmful this virus is to the American people, and to the US economy, it is a boon to the Democrat politicians.
They are using anything and everything they can to try to take down President Trump and keep him from getting re-elected. So while the virus is real, and serious precautions need to be taken, never forget that the panic related to the virus has been manufactured by the Democrats.

hotspur

Yes I plan on doing the same thing, I have all the supplies I need, except gas, I have my own latex gloss I'musing when iI get out of my truck for gas, or what have you,  not lleaving the state this year, I will be in the woods most of my free time. I am surrounded by people that are down playing this, not being careful of what they are doing , and acting selfish ( like I'm not gonna get sick ) but ignoring the fact that Mr so and sois 60 a d his wife is at home with health problems.  Prayers being sent.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 23, 2020, 03:18:59 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on March 23, 2020, 01:23:05 PM.
don't forget that it truly is the Democrats and the main stream media, which is the propaganda arm of the Democrat party, fueling the panic with misinformation and hysteria. The more harmful this virus is to the American people, and to the US economy, it is a boon to the Democrat politicians.
They are using anything and everything they can to try to take down President Trump and keep him from getting re-elected. So while the virus is real, and serious precautions need to be taken, never forget that the panic related to the virus has been manufactured by the Democrats.

100% correct
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

idgobble

Quote from: g8rvet on March 23, 2020, 01:23:05 PMVery good advice.  A lot of folks will downplay it and say it is media driven or politics driven, but this is going to be a long, devastating ride before it is done.
While everything you said, and the sentiments expressed in this entire post are accurate, don't forget that it truly is the Democrats and the main stream media, which is the propaganda arm of the Democrat party, fueling the panic with misinformation and hysteria. The more harmful this virus is to the American people, and to the US economy, it is a boon to the Democrat politicians.

If we're going to get into politics here and blame the Dems for everything it will lead to some very heated posts. And that's OK with me because I have some opinions on the people who are and have been downplaying the threat.  The biggest problem I see is some people completely ignoring all the sensible advice we're getting on how to decrease the chances of spreading the virus or coming into contact with people who are asymptomatic. 

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 23, 2020, 03:40:57 PM
don't forget that it truly is the Democrats and the main stream media, which is the propaganda arm of the Democrat party, fueling the panic with misinformation and hysteria. The more harmful this virus is to the American people, and to the US economy, it is a boon to the Democrat politicians.

100% correct
That's what I'm thinking also...Cant impeach..No one worth a crap to run against him.(even if your a Democrat you can't deny that)..Lets ruin the economy and scare everyone maybe this will work...

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on March 23, 2020, 01:23:05 PMA lot of folks will downplay it and say it is media driven or politics driven.

Quote from: idgobble on March 23, 2020, 03:45:27 PM

If we're going to get into politics here and blame the Dems for everything it will lead to some very heated posts.  The biggest problem I see is some people completely ignoring all the sensible advice we're getting on how to decrease the chances of spreading the virus or coming into contact with people who are asymptomatic. 
Idgobble, a reference to media and politics was already made before I commented. I supported the need for caution and smart response to the virus. Just because we don't all agree on politics, I won't refrain from commenting on the obvious politically driven aspect of the virus, that has intentionally led to a nationwide deliberate panic.

Dtrkyman

I am hunting, I will limit interaction with strangers and social distancing is not very difficult.  I need to buy food regardless of weather I am on a hunting trip so will exercise distance at the grocery store.

Gas stations I rarely go into so paying at the pump I can keep from spreading or contracting with some wipes or gloves.  I can take pit stops to address the call of nature anywhere for the most part.

As far as the Dems, I could not agree more, but if you don't think repubs are a problem that is a whole other can of worms!

Be careful, hunt safe and enjoy the great outdoors! 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 23, 2020, 03:48:54 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 23, 2020, 03:40:57 PM

100% correct
That's what I'm thinking also...Cant impeach..No one worth a crap to run against him.(even if your a Democrat you can't deny that)..Lets ruin the economy and scare everyone maybe this will work...
This is my personal thought of what is going on as well. I mean Polosi blocks a bill to get aid because she wants something put in on abortion? That is why Trump declared a state of emergency so he could bypass The House. (And ended up with more money than he asked for by doing so) Also there is strong evidence that the Malaria drug (Quinine I think, could be another) has helped with curing it but the Dem/Libs insult Trump and say he is a fool for trying it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

eman375

Okay, politics aside.  I understand the social responsibility aspect that comes with this pandemic. And those precautions should be taken.  However, I find it ironic that there are those hunters that preach social responsibility but can still justify their own personal hunts. And before the firebombs start flying I realize that the government has said outdoor recreation is a good thing with minimal risk.  Do your thing...