turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Public land hunting in Tennessee

Started by Sanctifyoutdoors, March 26, 2020, 09:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanctifyoutdoors

A couple of my buddies and I are looking into public land hunting in Tennessee in late April, but we are trying to decide which WMA to hunt. Does anybody have any suggestions on which WMA would be best to hunt? Thanks guys

fallhnt

Go and hunt one. You will learn by putting boots on the ground

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Delmar ODonnell

I'd advise doing some more research via google and the Tennessee Game and Fish before asking this question on an open forum, especially as your first post. There's a wealth of information here from accomplished hunters, but most hunters, including myself, are not going to volunteer the name of a piece they hunt for obvious reasons.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Delmar ODonnell on March 26, 2020, 09:37:03 PM
I'd advise doing some more research via google and the Tennessee Game and Fish before asking this question on an open forum, especially as your first post. There's a wealth of information here from accomplished hunters, but most hunters, including myself, are not going to volunteer the name of a piece they hunt for obvious reasons.
X2 , i so agree and i'm in Tennessee..

catman529

If you do google search, you'll find everyone who's talked about their success on X Y and Z WMAs. Those WMAs will have a lot lot lot of hunting pressure thanks to people making that mistake. I was one of them several years back when I first got into turkey hunting so I understand that some people just don't known to keep quiet. But look into the TWRA list of WMAs and the harvest numbers. The WMAs with the highest harvest numbers will be overrun with hunters. But there's a lot of good public land out there that hasn't been wore out yet. Don't forget TVA and Corps land if you have a boat. You'll have boat hunter pressure as well, but it is an option to consider. Populations vary widely across the state. Some areas almost no birds, some areas overrun with birds, and some in between. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GobbleNut

Quote from: Sanctifyoutdoors on March 26, 2020, 09:05:29 PM
A couple of my buddies and I are looking into public land hunting in Tennessee in late April, but we are trying to decide which WMA to hunt. Does anybody have any suggestions on which WMA would be best to hunt? Thanks guys

First off, welcome to OG.  Hope you like it and stick around.

As an out-of-stater that hunted TN one time several years ago, I can tell you from first hand experience that there is (or was) a lot of public land there that has very few turkeys on it,...or at least no physical evidence that they are there.  Go to the wrong place and you will spend a lot of time searching for nonexistent birds,...and in some of (what looks like) the prettiest turkey habitat you will ever see.

As others stated, do a LOT of research on where to go before going hunting there.

tracker#1

I hunted the Catoosa last year. Got there the third week and it was trampled. Did manage to work some birds. On an early Wednesday morning, first ones there, while putting gear on and listening, over a dozen vehicles rolled passed our location if that helps you.

Sanctifyoutdoors

I appreciate yall's advice! We're doing our research, and we'll post pics if we get the job done.