OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Winchester NWTF Laminated Turkey versus Remington 870  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Winchester NWTF Laminated Turkey versus Remington 870
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 12:26:51 PM »
The NWTF laminate 1300 is extremely well made. Shoulders nice, well balanced, and they pattern extremely well. I am glad I found a few in real good shape. I plan on bringing it out this year. Be safe team.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline THattaway

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Worship the LORD, not His creation.
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 01:03:10 PM »
My vote would be for the laminate Winchester. Compared to a new 870 anyways.
There is some truth to that. The old laminate stock 1300 and black shadow models had flawless barrels. more 870s I’ve bought (last ten years and 1187s in last 4 even) had very rough tool marks in the barrels. The 870s polished up well and are beads shooters though. The last 1300 I purchased was the 2005 NWTF short turkey right before they discontinued the 1300 and almost went out of business. It came with just as rough a barrel as the newer rems, took a bunch of work to smooth out. The only other weakness on the laminate 1300 I’ve seen is the ejector assist spring piece mounted inside the receiver opposite from the load port. It nests inside a slot on the edge of the barrel and if you happen to force the barrel on with that part misaligned it can ruin a hunt for you, jam. Not a major issue but can be if you make that mistake.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

“The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill.”-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 01:52:15 PM »
Great info/advice. I love the 1300’s. Here are 2 that I have. The one with the red dot is the one I hunt with. Jebbs 655, Longbeard 5’s. The upper one without the scope I picked up last year. I don’t think it was fired much, if at all. I do want to get a bottomland 870, or 1187 for a descent number. I will keep searching. No rush. Thanks, be safe....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 08:40:06 AM »
First off I will state I have been a fan of Big Green since I bought my first 870 wingmaster 20 ga 40 + years ago at the ripe old age of 10. With that being said the new guns you can buy today fail in comparison to the guns of that were made back then or even 10 - 15 years ago. The 1300 is a great gun in its own right. As you already stated that it's a little on the heavy side with the laminated stock and forearm. This is the classic Chevy vs. Ford scenario. The biggest advantage I see is that there's so many accessories out there for the 870. I will say that if your seriously considering getting a 870 buy a good older gun rather than a new one.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

FWIW, I`ve had/have the following Remington guns:

1983 1100- Duck hunted hard, south Louisiana marshes. Never once failed.

2005 870 Super Mag Special Purpose Turkey ( SP-T )- Just a tank of a gun. Solid. No problems.

2015 870 Express- Flawless performance, solid field gun.

2017  V3- At its price point, maybe best in market. Excellent trigger, super gas system. Not one failure with any load. Just a solid working field semi auto.

I personally have absolutely no reason not to buy or recommend Remington shotguns, old or new.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 09:34:35 AM »
Fantastic, wow nice collection....
“Solo hunter”

Offline gtrjames

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 11:22:02 AM »
In my experience you can’t beat those old 870 Wingmasters. I’ve owned a few 870 express/ Special Purpose models from the 90s and they were solid guns after smoothing our a few rough edges.
I killed my first bird with a borrowed NWTF 1300...it did the job.

rdjustham

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 11:30:47 AM »
I picked up a new 870 for a duck gun last year and well, the thing will rust while you are looking at it.  I bought my son a remington 700 two years ago and same issue.  Ive got quite a few remingtons in my safe and never had a problem with any of them.  I dont know what remington is doing with their finishes for the last few years but if i buy another one it will be cerakoted!

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2020, 02:54:04 PM »
I picked up a new 870 for a duck gun last year and well, the thing will rust while you are looking at it.  I bought my son a remington 700 two years ago and same issue.  Ive got quite a few remingtons in my safe and never had a problem with any of them.  I dont know what remington is doing with their finishes for the last few years but if i buy another one it will be cerakoted!

That`s interesting. I`ve heard the same thing. Both my V3 and 870 have the black matte style finish. I certainly prefer a blued finish. I got my 870 Express on Gunbroker. It arrived in pristine condition, not a hint of rust. Indicates good care by the previous owner. Because of what I`ve heard, though, I`ve started putting a very thin layer of RIG grease on the exterior of my 870. No chance for rust. For the V3, I don`t even do that, just wipe down with an oily rag. I probably would grease it too if I were using it for waterfowl or if it regularly got damp.

rdjustham

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2020, 08:50:50 PM »
No joke, my sons rifle has never been wet, humidity and early morning dew aside and after every deer trip the muzzle is rusting.  I put my 870 in a floating case, paddled a mile to my spot and it had surface rust when i pulled it out.  I oil it every time i get back and rub it down with 0000 steel wool just to get the rust off.  Id have it cerakoted but the price for it doesnt justify it.  My department issued 870 (15 years old) i was given new outta the box and it rusts in the back of an suv.  I grew up with remingtons and they are still my go to, just dunno wth is up with their finishes.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 09:34:02 PM »
I prefer the 870 myself , and the 500 Mossberg .

Offline rich870

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2020, 08:23:03 PM »
First off I will state I have been a fan of Big Green since I bought my first 870 wingmaster 20 ga 40 + years ago at the ripe old age of 10. With that being said the new guns you can buy today fail in comparison to the guns of that were made back then or even 10 - 15 years ago. The 1300 is a great gun in its own right. As you already stated that it's a little on the heavy side with the laminated stock and forearm. This is the classic Chevy vs. Ford scenario. The biggest advantage I see is that there's so many accessories out there for the 870. I will say that if your seriously considering getting a 870 buy a good older gun rather than a new one.

How old are the good ones?  Besides the Wingmaster are the Expresses or Special Purpose ones good. I was thinking of a new one but you have me thinking. Most older Wingmasters are 2 3/4” chambers. I’d rather have 3”

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2020, 09:39:31 PM »

How old are the good ones?  Besides the Wingmaster are the Expresses or Special Purpose ones good. I was thinking of a new one but you have me thinking. Most older Wingmasters are 2 3/4” chambers. I’d rather have 3”

My 870 Express is a 2015 vintage. It has been flawless. I think a lot of people expect Wingmaster fit and finish in an economy package. Ain’t gonna happen. I knew that when I got my Express .

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2020, 01:16:04 AM »
Ive never personally owned or fired a 1300. Ive been a Remington guy my whole life. The Remington has a steel receiver and the 1300 has an aluminum receiver...if that mattered to you. ive seen a lot of pattern pictures over the years and from what ive seen on here and other places the 1300s simply out pattern the remingtons. Usually drastically. The 1300 has to be one of the best patterning pump shotguns ive seen in 12 guage. Ive no idea if these were older 1300s or newer ones or what they did to them if anything besides choke them. My 870 patterned better than average with lead, and after some work and experimenting with chokes patterns pretty good with tss. But still not as good as a 1300. Not that I care...per say. I guess if I already had a 1300 then no I cant see a reason to go to an 870. However...they don't make 1300s anymore and chances are you could potentially pay a pretty penny for one.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."