turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester NWTF Laminated Turkey versus Remington 870

Started by Tom007, March 22, 2020, 09:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Wanted to get the forums thoughts on comparisons between the NWTF Winchester 1300 and the Remington 870 turkey guns. I have a few of the 1300's and find they are very well made, a bit heavy due to the laminated stock, but they pattern extremely well. They are well balanced, a good choice for turkey. I do not have an 870, but am hearing great things about them. I do have a Remington 1100 in 410 gauge, they are real nice guns. What is the forums thoughts here. Thanks much....
"Solo hunter"

Ozarks Hillbilly

First off I will state I have been a fan of Big Green since I bought my first 870 wingmaster 20 ga 40 + years ago at the ripe old age of 10. With that being said the new guns you can buy today fail in comparison to the guns of that were made back then or even 10 - 15 years ago. The 1300 is a great gun in its own right. As you already stated that it's a little on the heavy side with the laminated stock and forearm. This is the classic Chevy vs. Ford scenario. The biggest advantage I see is that there's so many accessories out there for the 870. I will say that if your seriously considering getting a 870 buy a good older gun rather than a new one.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tom007

Thanks much, great info. Agreed, the 870 has lots of accessories. I wish NJ would allow 410's. I would convert my 1100 to a Turkey Slayer if they would. Hearing great things about 410's with TSS ammo. Be safe....
"Solo hunter"

lowoctane

Both great guns! Have both and it's a toss up as to which to carry into the woods! I prefer to stick with
the old 12ga slayers and not chase the latest offerings... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Tom007

By the way, which choke do you run in your 1300? I have Jebbs  655. Produces good patterns.
"Solo hunter"

paboxcall

I've owned two different 1300s, and ran a Hastings .660 in one, and an original JH .660 in the newer 1300.

Never owned a Remington 870, but to Ozark's point, I think the older ones could double for a canoe paddle if needed, they were built so well.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

THattaway

I've got several of both and killed over 100 with the bunch. I'd probably tote the 870, always liked the safety on the rear of the trigger guard and the slimmer grip better.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

1iagobblergetter

You can't go wrong with especially a older 870.
Never have owned a 1300,but would love to find one of the nwtf 20g. ones.
Like someone else said probably about like chevy verse ford. Both are tried and true it just boils down to preference.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Cowboy

I really love a good Remington.  I carry a Remington 1100 every year since I inherited it from my Grandfather when he passed. I've got several other turkey guns, but the old 1100 goes to the woods with me.

Cowboy

Tom007

Amen, Remington is a great product. I love my 410 1100's. They are great guns.....
"Solo hunter"

Happy

My vote would be for the laminate Winchester. Compared to a new 870 anyways.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club