OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question for Hunters That Do Not Use Vests  (Read 10404 times)

Offline Bob G.

Re: Question for Hunters That Do Not Use Vests
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 05:17:12 PM »
I’ve been using a Niff-T-Seat with the small post for several years for deer and turkey hunting. It folds up small and can carry it with a strap on my belt. Being it that it is a single post, you need to lean up against a tree.

I still wear a vest for turkey hunting but carry a Johnson Woolen Mill Black Powder Hunting Pouch on my belt for basic turkey calls when bow hunting for deer. Also use it during rifle season for extra ammo, flashlight, etc AND during muzzleloader season!

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 06:27:15 PM »
The most comfortable chair I've ever used is the Millennium M300. Has a shoulder strap, quiet to set up and weighs 4 pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Treestands-M300-Tree-Seat/dp/B000T55ZTW

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 06:32:59 PM »
This is a great thread that always emerges because we are all looking for the “holy grail”  regarding efficiently carrying what we need in the turkey woods. As we see from the posts above, everyone caters their equipment to the type of hunting one does. Sitters favor chairs and comfortable cushions. Runner/gunners tend to have a more minimalist set up, an attached seat, fanny pack/satchel, or a minimalist type vest. I have different set ups for my different types of hunts. Most of the time, I am a minimalist hunter. My favorite set up is a Cabelas 1/2 vest that I modified. This was made several years ago. It is a Fanny pack type waist belt that has a lumbar cushion for back support. It has a some large zippered pockets, 2 water bottle pouches, and shell loops within smaller pockets. I added an HS Strut box call holder, and a pot call holder. I added a Glenda striker pouch that holds my strikers nicely. I added a padded set of suspenders to the set up. The best thing about this is it has the patented Cabelas Speed seat built in. This seat to me is the best. Comfortable, and stays out of your way when your on the move. Attached is a picture of the set up. The only answer to how we all carry our equipment is what works best for you. We all seem to have found out what’s best for our type of hunting. This will always be an ever evolving topic in our sport in the years to come. Be safe, best of luck.....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:29:17 PM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 09:13:51 PM »
Well I just picked up a Avian X Rundown at Cabelas and seems like I might like it.   Going to give it a close look at some.   I also ordered a Crazy Creek lounge chair.   It may be the way I go this year.   

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 07:11:10 AM »
The most comfortable chair I've ever used is the Millennium M300. Has a shoulder strap, quiet to set up and weighs 4 pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Treestands-M300-Tree-Seat/dp/B000T55ZTW

Saw that seat, sure looks well built, light.......looks good
“Solo hunter”

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 08:46:14 AM »
Fanny pack/belt with a couple of HS Strut pouches. Carry a Browning chair. On the properties I hunt I know GENERALLY where the birds are going to be, I`m not one to do much running through the woods, so I spend the vast majority of time set up. I`ve found the patient approach fits my style and likes and has worked well for me.

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 09:04:45 PM »
Well I just picked up a Avian X Rundown at Cabelas and seems like I might like it.   Going to give it a close look at some.   I also ordered a Crazy Creek lounge chair.   It may be the way I go this year.   

I have looked at this closer today.   I will say you can put a ton of stuff in that little guy.  I had 10 strikers,  three box calls,  4 pot calls,  and ton of mouth calls,  a stone,  pad,  and some other stuff in it today and still had room.   I was actually shocked.   I am not 100 percent sold on the over the shoulder strap yet.  I am going to wait on the three vests I ordered before I decide which I keep and which three get returned.   

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 05:50:38 AM »
I went through a fascination with vests that lasted about 10 years, back when turkey vests first started to be a thing.  I stopped about 20 years ago.

1)  It encouraged me to carry way too many calls.
2)  It was heavy and noisy
3)  It was hard to remove. If I wanted to put the sneak on a bird and lose the vest, it was a major undertaking

When I got my own property, I went to a small Messenger bag for calls and ammo and such and then added a musette bag on the other side for decoys, sweater and other light/bulky things.  Both were held on with shoulder straps. I could drop both off my body by unbuckling.

The Messenger bag started to deteriorate a few years ago, and I started using this:

Rothco makes one called an "Advanced Tactical Bag" that you can order off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-2348-Advanced-Tactical-Bag/dp/B006GA48RE?th=1

One thing I like about these bags is that I can open it up on the ground and place my calls on top. It keeps them dry and clean.

The musette bag I carry I made myself.  It's camo and bigger than a normal musette bag. They used to sell a turkey decoy bag that would do the same thing.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 08:21:46 AM »
I went through a fascination with vests that lasted about 10 years, back when turkey vests first started to be a thing.  I stopped about 20 years ago.

1)  It encouraged me to carry way too many calls.
2)  It was heavy and noisy
3)  It was hard to remove. If I wanted to put the sneak on a bird and lose the vest, it was a major undertaking

When I got my own property, I went to a small Messenger bag for calls and ammo and such and then added a musette bag on the other side for decoys, sweater and other light/bulky things.  Both were held on with shoulder straps. I could drop both off my body by unbuckling.

The Messenger bag started to deteriorate a few years ago, and I started using this:

Rothco makes one called an "Advanced Tactical Bag" that you can order off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-2348-Advanced-Tactical-Bag/dp/B006GA48RE?th=1

One thing I like about these bags is that I can open it up on the ground and place my calls on top. It keeps them dry and clean.

The musette bag I carry I made myself.  It's camo and bigger than a normal musette bag. They used to sell a turkey decoy bag that would do the same thing.

Cool looking set-up
“Solo hunter”

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 07:01:38 PM »
  I have always preferred  a Daypack.  Inside is a walmart Black Step Stool that,I  like to sit on. Perfect height ,wide, and comfortable.

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2021, 08:57:18 PM »
Thought I would give everyone an update:   

1.  I am still liking the Avian Rundown.  It holds a ton of stuff securely.   I am not 100 percent sold on the over the shoulder design.  It just seems a little - and I emphasize “little”.   So it is still in the running.

2.  The Alps IMPACT vest came a couple days ago.  I like the lounge style built in seat and back.  They get an A plus there.  However,  the one size fits all is a C minus.  I am 6 feet tall and 165 pounds.  I am bulit for run and gun hunting.  That vest is built for someone 6 feet 4 inches tall and 245 pounds.   Even cinched all the way in it is way too big.  It just seems awkward.   At first I didn’t think there were enough pockets.  I was wrong there are plenty of pockets but the design is a B minus.  For example,  the box call pocket is too short.  The pot call pockets are a tad too small.  The pockets in general are very stiff but that would probably come out if you washed the vest.   This vest is being shipped back with a B minus grade.

3.  The badlands vest is a different story.   They seem to have have a keep if you are interested in vests.  It fits really really well and is up and tight not hanging on you like your high school prom tux.   I will give you more on the pocket layout tomorrow.   I am still checking it out.   As for the seat,  I really like it.  It is super thick and the way it is attached to the vest is nice.  This vest in combo with a Crazy Creek lounge seat is a real contender for 2021 and probably the front runner right now.   Waiting to receive the Tenzing 18.   

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 10:22:16 PM »
The Alps IMPACT vest came a couple days ago.  I like the lounge style built in seat and back.  They get an A plus there.  However,  the one size fits all is a C minus.  I am 6 feet tall and 165 pounds.  I am bulit for run and gun hunting.  That vest is built for someone 6 feet 4 inches tall and 245 pounds.   Even cinched all the way in it is way too big.  It just seems awkward.   At first I didn’t think there were enough pockets.  I was wrong there are plenty of pockets but the design is a B minus.  For example,  the box call pocket is too short.  The pot call pockets are a tad too small.  The pockets in general are very stiff but that would probably come out if you washed the vest.   This vest is being shipped back with a B minus grade.

This is primary issue with 80% of all turkey vest.. they seem to made for guys 6'5 over 250lbs.  Have you looked at the Knight & Hale RNG 200 or 300? Both are great, but I prefer the 300.   I tried literally every vest made over the last 5 years. I liked this RNG vest so much that I bought 3 of them in case they stop making it. This vest is a lean "run and gun" type vest that actually fit's normal guys.  It doesn't have the lounger kick stand.  Read the reviews on this site, and watch some YouTube videos of the vest.

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2021, 01:18:36 AM »
I like this for a seat.... you actually want to inflate less than you think..... straps around the waste and you can plop down anywhere. Greatest part to a good cushion is they work well on an incline.....

Allen Company - Self-Inflating Hunting Seat Cushion - Camo
HS Undertaker Chest Pack

This is the combo when not using the vest..... but I honestly love the vest
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2021, 06:27:02 PM »
[

This is primary issue with 80% of all turkey vest.. they seem to made for guys 6'5 over 250lbs.  Have you looked at the Knight & Hale RNG 200 or 300? Both are great, but I prefer the 300.   I tried literally every vest made over the last 5 years. I liked this RNG vest so much that I bought 3 of them in case they stop making it. This vest is a lean "run and gun" type vest that actually fit's normal guys.  It doesn't have the lounger kick stand.  Read the reviews on this site, and watch some YouTube videos of the vest.
[/quote]

I am pretty darn sure I am going to stay true to a vest as opposed to a pack this spring.  Been in a vest for 37 years and now that I have a badlands vest,  I would be hard pressed to find one better.  But, still keeping an open mind for when the Tenzing arrives. 

Offline Number17

• Pennsylvania 4E
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2021, 08:31:47 AM »
My favorite set up is a Cabelas 1/2 vest that I modified. This was made several years ago. It is a Fanny pack type waist belt that has a lumbar cushion for back support.

I purchased a half vest when they first came out and haven't used a traditional vest since. I found a used one a few years ago, bought it and gave it to a buddy. I wish they were still made because they are fantastic.
I like the suspender idea. I've thought about adding them but haven't yet because I really don't carry much weight.

I have an Alps "crazy creek" style seat on the way as well. I want some kind of lounger for open country but really don't want to lug around a full size chair for those just in case moments.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls