OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question for Hunters That Do Not Use Vests  (Read 10477 times)

Offline GunRunner

Question for Hunters That Do Not Use Vests
« on: March 21, 2020, 08:45:54 PM »
I have noticed, in several recent posts seeking recommendations on turkey vests, there are a good number of our fellow hunters who are going vest-less and are using fanny packs or a custom made satchel for calls and gear.
I am interested in a minimalist approach these days and have considered dumping my vest for a fanny pack or maybe the satchel.
My question is for you guys that are going vest-less, what are you using for a seat cushion and how are you carrying it? This is for folks that stay on the move and are not setting up in turkey chairs. As I have gotten older, sitting comfortably and still for extended periods has become a challenge.

Thanks,
GunRunner

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
Re: Question for Hunters That Do Not Use Vests
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 08:58:51 PM »
I converted to a Brenda Green satchel a few years ago.
I use an HS Strut Turkey stool that is both comfortable and light. I have added adjustable back pack straps to the stool.
This set-up works great for me.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
Question for Hunters That Do Not Use Vests
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 09:04:16 PM »
This is what I use. All have carry straps. Glenda green bag. It’s got a Montana collapsing decoy in it. 3/4 pots, 2 box calls, 6/7 strikers snake bite kit face mask thermacell. Holds a lot if you want pack a lot . Chair is alps vanish. It’s little heavy but I can sit all day in it folds up and straps closed with carry strap attached to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 04:41:28 AM »
I use the same style chair as above,but its from Cabelas and called a Gobbler Lounger.  I've tried numerous chairs and that style is the best. I also use a Glenda Green Satchel. I haven't used a vest the last couple years.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 04:58:04 AM »
I dumped the vest about 8 years ago, I first went to a Badlands Hip Pack (didn't want a fanny pack behind me/no access) used this for the first 7 years and now I have the Avian Sling Pack, still rides on my side for easy setup. As far a seat goes I have a few, my original was an old NWTF Lo-Boy Lite Turkey Seat, I modified it to have a backrest by using a H.S. seat in somewhat same style, I drilled out the rivets on the folding legs took them off and added as a backrest, added a seat pad and have been using this for around 15 years. In the last 5 years I have had a couple of Cabela's Gobbler Loungers as well.

MK M GOBL

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 02:43:42 PM »
I have  a vest and  hs strut turkey seat. The only time the seat comes out with me is when my 75yo father comes with.
 I hunt public land and usually try to find larger tracts to hunt in with the chance I may be able to get away from the crowds. I start out with plan A but usually have to resort to B,C,D,E,......Z as the day unfolds.
I find carrying a seat around too combersome when trying to sneak through the thicker woods and briar patches that inevetably seem to find there way between me and a distant gobbler I may have the luck to hear. I've been know to crawl along a creek bed to stay out of sight trying to close the distance on active Toms. I like to keep my hands free for moving braches and keeping my balance when climbing up and over obstacles. I just don't see myself being able to carry a seat on my back and a gun over my shoulder without them clanging together at the most inopportune times.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline strum

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 05:19:08 PM »
 I modified my tater 2 seat so that I can strap it around my waist. I tried carrying it one time and I kept leaving it behind as i was moving in on a gobbler.  So I either strap it to me or leave it at home.

Offline bc76

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 01:43:43 PM »
http://www.breedlovesaircushions.com/products/

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 10:04:36 PM »
This is what I use. All have carry straps. Glenda green bag. It’s got a Montana collapsing decoy in it. 3/4 pots, 2 box calls, 6/7 strikers snake bite kit face mask thermacell. Holds a lot if you want pack a lot . Chair is alps vanish. It’s little heavy but I can sit all day in it folds up and straps closed with carry strap attached to it

x3 .. no wet butt either .. this same setup.

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 10:39:17 PM »
I use a chest pack from Alps, and I bought a heavy foam seat that came with a sewn in loop and attach it to my back belt loop with a carabiner. Used it all deer season in complete comfort, and it doesn't hang down past my arse to beat against my knees like an unsecured vest seat does.

Offline GunRunner

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 12:04:17 PM »

Loyalist84......can you please share information on the cushion that you bought and carry? Maybe even a picture.

Thanks
GunRunnet

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 12:50:01 PM »
It's a Therm-A-Seat 1.5" thick pad, I think it's called the Predator on Amazon.com but a search should still yield up some decent results.

Offline WTNUT

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 12:33:25 PM »
I am bumping this back up again.  I am considering going with a very light badlands pack,  and a chair.  I don’t want a chair with legs,  so looks like my best option may be a Crazy Creek Chair.   They are made for backpacking are nice.  Alps makes one if you have used it,  would appreciate feedback.   After looking at everything on the net,  I am not sure i see a vest that I am in love with at this point.   My preference would be a quality vest,  but seems like so many are lacking quality or are darn heavy.

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 01:51:31 PM »
I use one of Glenda Greens Minimalist Vest and a Browning Turkey Lounger chair if I know I will most likely be sitting for and extended time.  If not sitting for an extended time, I used to carry a boat cushion with a shoulder strap but I just purchased one of Glendas' new seats with an inflatable innertube and shoulder strap which I plan on using this year. I like the fact that it is very light and you can adjust the comfort level by letting letting some air out.

Online Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 01:57:18 PM »
I have  a vest and  hs strut turkey seat. The only time the seat comes out with me is when my 75yo father comes with.
 I hunt public land and usually try to find larger tracts to hunt in with the chance I may be able to get away from the crowds. I start out with plan A but usually have to resort to B,C,D,E,......Z as the day unfolds.
I find carrying a seat around too combersome when trying to sneak through the thicker woods and briar patches that inevetably seem to find there way between me and a distant gobbler I may have the luck to hear. I've been know to crawl along a creek bed to stay out of sight trying to close the distance on active Toms. I like to keep my hands free for moving braches and keeping my balance when climbing up and over obstacles. I just don't see myself being able to carry a seat on my back and a gun over my shoulder without them clanging together at the most inopportune times.
Same here, however I did start carrying a 2’x2’ piece of cheap rain jacket I cut out in my cargo pocket. It folds up flat and light and I can’t tell it’s there. However, if it’s wet out it goes down before I sit to prevent a wet butt.