OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Marlin Watkins  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Marlin Watkins
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 09:29:07 AM »
Thanks for the update/communication  mr. Watkins. Any decision that allows you to enjoy you’re hobby more makes sense to me.

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »
Marlin, you just keep doing what you are doing.  You are a brilliant callmaker-your produce consistently amazing calls, it is my pleasure to have them in my arsenal.  Your calls will be passed through generations.

Offline Mad_Baron

• Mad Baron Calls
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »
Makes total sense to me and I am happy with my last fiddle box.  Build what you like, I am sure we will like it too.
John Haines

Mad Baron Calls
NWTF Chapter President
NWTF Indiana State Board Member

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 06:45:25 AM »
And THAT'S exactly why you're one of the best makers at work. Most of us are just consumers. We love turkey calls but we don't understand what constitutes getting that sound. Perfect example, I recently asked Jeff McKamey to make me a walnut over mineralized poplar box. He told me he wouldn't do it. Said he wasn't happy with any of the walnut he'd been getting. Said he'd make me one with mora and mineralized poplar instead. Of course I trust him and said have at it. He knows boxes. I just play them.

Hello: as you know I don’t post much. I really appreciate all the fine folks on this forum and just want to clear up the facts about me not keeping a list anymore. When I kept a list I would go to the shop and look at list and feel obligated to make the calls people were asking for. My dislike for this was that someone would want a particular wood combination that in the past I had made some killer calls from. However once I had used the last of that wood the next tree I worked from did not have the same tonal quality. I would spend endless hours trying to make a world class call and it just wasn’t going to happen.  Therefore I did away with list. I’m making as many calls as ever and I’m using the woods that are making the best combinations I can make. I have lots of calls built from wood combinations that I want to make and when someone contacts me I can give them many combinations that I have on hand. This works a lot better for me and I think results in better quality of calls. I hope this ads clarity to where I’m at in my call making hobby. Thanks much

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 05:27:48 PM »
I'd love tp get Mr. Watkins phone number if somebody could pm it to me.