OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: No Dice This Morning  (Read 1278 times)

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
No Dice This Morning
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:20:19 AM »
Quiet start to the season. Slipped in before daylight on a bird I had scouted and he never said a word. Sat on him over an hour trying to get a gobble out of him and nothing. Hit another spot, silence. Went to another farm, finally struck a bird. Problem is he was wrapped up in hens. I was able to call in one hen, but the others dragged off the gobbler. I went around trying to cut them off, bird gobbled one more time and everything went silent. No luck. Going to try again this afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
Re: No Dice This Morning
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 03:44:41 PM »
No luck here either. Weatherman said partly sunny by 9. Well that was a lie 37 and raining all morning. I got one bird to gobble about 6:45 sunrise was supposed to be at 6:50, but it was still pretty dark because of the cloud cover. The bird sounded about 150 to 200 yards off. I started moving through the woods to try to get to about 100 yards. Moved maybe 50 yards or so and the trees around me exploded. Probably bumped 7 or so hens off their roost. All quiet after that, walked around maybe 5 miles trying to strike one up. Through everything at them in my vest titanium, copper, ceramic, crystal, mouth calls and locators. NOTHING

Going back out tomorrow and Monday so hopefully I will have better luck. Good luck this afternoon Struttin.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 04:27:45 PM »
No luck here either. Weatherman said partly sunny by 9. Well that was a lie 37 and raining all morning. I got one bird to gobble about 6:45 sunrise was supposed to be at 6:50, but it was still pretty dark because of the cloud cover. The bird sounded about 150 to 200 yards off. I started moving through the woods to try to get to about 100 yards. Moved maybe 50 yards or so and the trees around me exploded. Probably bumped 7 or so hens off their roost. All quiet after that, walked around maybe 5 miles trying to strike one up. Through everything at them in my vest titanium, copper, ceramic, crystal, mouth calls and locators. NOTHING

Going back out tomorrow and Monday so hopefully I will have better luck. Good luck this afternoon Struttin.

I appreciate it. Hunted this afternoon, heard one clear gobble but I was next to my truck and couldn’t course it’s direction. Walked down to where three firebreaks intersect near some roosting areas. Gave it a hour or two cold calling and came up with nothing. But I got to enjoy the woods and it was better than sitting at home. Going to check a couple cameras now.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
Nice, I hunt public land so no cameras for me. Tomorrow is looking like hard rain starting around noon. So I will get a morning hunt in. But Monday is supposed to be beautiful so I may try to stay out all day.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 07:05:15 PM »
Good luck tommorow guys, a bad day of hunting is always better than a good day at work! :anim_25:

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 11:24:08 PM »
Well the cameras came up dry. I slipped back into the area we hunted this morning, for two reasons. One, to do some quiet yelping in hopes that the gobbler might check me out before flying up, which didn’t happen. Second, to listen for him to fly up and get a good direction on him, which was successful. As an added bonus, he even gobbled on the roost a few times; pretty uncommon for these local eastern birds. So I have a pretty decent idea of where he is, currently pondering my options as to the best strategy to set up on him in the morning. Either way, I plan on being within a hundred yards of him in the morning well before daylight. Time will tell, these birds seemed to be covered up in hens at the moment.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 04:12:41 AM »
I think it might be the same here, everyone I talked to that hunted yesterday all said the birds were being tight lipped. But our weather was kind of bad yesterday also. I am getting ready to head o. Out I about 45 minutes. Good luck Struttin and stay safe.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline TNTRKYHunter

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 09:50:43 AM »
Stay after them fellas. You will find one that wants to play the game. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 06:19:55 PM »
Man I chased one of my gobblers from daylight until 1pm nonstop. He fired back up twice from mid morning to noon, and I moved on him three or four times. Stubborn joker, he wouldn’t break for anything I threw at him. He may have had hens, but if he did I didn’t hear them. Think he was moving around to different strut zones. I’m calling this bird Houdini, because somehow he escaped every trap I set for him.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 07:24:07 PM »
Lol, not much better here either. Was on one bird until about 8:30 or so. After that I couldn't hear a thing. The wind picked up to 25 mph gusts. Setup on a field hoping they would want to get out of the woods. Put my dekes out and used my box and mouth calls to try to cut through the wind but nothing. Wrapped it up about 11:30

DE OPPRESSO LIBER