OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Covid-19 and your season  (Read 2095 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Covid-19 and your season
« on: March 19, 2020, 06:49:00 PM »
Team mates,

As I sit and work from my house, I see wave after wave of bad news concerning the worldwide Coronavirus pandemic and our tenuous hold on the ways of life that we have known. This extremely aggressive virus continues to spread rapidly across our world and although not everyone who contracts it will die, there is that real possibility. I have heard that the United States of America may be facing a complete nationwide shutdown and forced quarantine like Italy and Spain have instituted. Will this impact our ability to travel to hunting locations to hunt turkeys? Yes it will, much more than it already has.

I said that to say this. Please exert wise caution and discretion concerning the subject of hunting turkeys this season. Brothers, there is not one gobbler in this country that is worth the risk of contracting this virus and the sickness that stems from it. If we will heed the dire warnings and adopt the recommendations of our nations leading health and medical experts, hunker down, reduce our chances of catching it, wash our hands regularly we should be able to successfully weather this maelstrom.

The turkeys will still be there next season. The shells will still pattern the same way next season. Let's agree to stay alive and prepare ourselves for the possibility that Coronavirus has busted our 2020 turkey season. I know first hand how hard it is to miss a season for health concerns. I survived it. Covid-19 will eventually go away.

Let's make certain that we are still here after it's gone.

Love to all.

Norman

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:29:48 PM by FullChoke »

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Covid-19 and your season
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 09:04:41 PM »
good info Norman but I think our woods is the safest place to be, I am sure I will not be near anyone, the only place I fell unsafe would be pumping gas.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 09:57:03 PM »
I work in healthcare so I expect to be able to hunt less in coming weeks. Thankfully, I had already started my vacation time the past week before things really started getting crazy. Hope we are all gonna be fine and I’m just happy I got a few days to see some turkeys this season. Stay safe folks and do what you feel is necessary to make that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 12:57:29 PM »
Great post Norman. I am saddened to have one of my hunts get cancelled yesterday on the San Carlos reservation as I was really looking forward to it.

We shall see how everything continues.

Stay safe out there brothers and sisters.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 09:00:05 AM »
Yesterday afternoon the governor of Mississippi issued a Shelter-In-Place order for the entire state in an effort to curb the spread of the coronavirus. The SIP order will be in effect from Friday April 3rd at 5:00 pm and run until April 20th at 8:00 am.

This will have an obvious impact on our ability to hunt this season, but as it stands it will still give us a few days after the order is lifted to hunt the rest of our season. As of last night, 37 states have a statewide SIP order in place, 8 states have county or city SIP, and 5 states have no known orders in place.

These are unique and tough times for everyone on this earth. We will come through this pandemic with greater knowledge and sensitivity as to how and when we need to react when faced with another deadly health risk like this. Let's agree to do our individual best right now to slow the spread of this virus and to allow our overwhelmed health care system time to catch up and save lives.

Stay safe, have fun, kill gobblers.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 09:51:37 AM »
My family is always my first priority and I will follow all laws and mandates that come down from high on the hill. I may be lucky here because my season doesn't start till May 1st. We shall see.  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline yelpaholic

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 01:15:26 PM »
I’m still chasing them around a little got to find one more upgrade????. If nothing else this shows us just how blessed we are here in America and maybe we can re focus on what’s truly important.  Anyway looks like our out of state hunts or cancelled for this year and that stinks but oh well.  Be safe guys and go kill a turkey , the crusaders passed us up a little ..

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 04:43:12 PM »
Since the governor’s order specifically excluded outdoor activities in MS (except state lakes apparently), I plan on hunting any off day I have left until season is over or I tag out (hopefully). Alabama orders go in effect at 5pm today but have basically the same provisions so I’ll hunt over there on club land when I can. Hunting by yourself is a great form of social distancing and I need the mental break from my healthcare job. Hope everyone stays safe and gets a chance to hunt as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BBR12

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 02:53:51 PM »
I am still having to go to work 4 days on 1 off so I still plan to hunt on my day off. I have taken my 11 yr old every day I have been so far except once since they are out of school. I plan to hunt LA my next few days off while a friend still has a lease over there. This is his last year to have  it.  I will have a tank of gas drive straight to the lease after work and then drive straight home afterword so I will be using my social distancing skills.

I feel like hitting LA hopefully a few days and finally getting in the woods in MS later this month will be about a wrap for my season. If this stuff dies down some I may try to take the boy to MO in late April/early May.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 01:47:39 AM »
Yeah this mess is really putting a damper on the season. I work with BBR12 but my schedule has me working 6 12.5hr nights with 1 night off a week.  Getting to hunt a little while in the mornings but its been tough. Looking like this Covid is gonna postpone mine and BBR12's annual trip to the NE till next year. Not sure what this year holds. 
I'll be in the woods every day I can hunt, its about the safest place there is. 

Best of luck to y'all and stay healthy.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 06:34:07 AM »
Well, my NE. trip is out and I just found out my SD. trip is shot to heck now. The Indian Res. I hunt on has shut down it's borders to all non reservation members. I had both Res and state tags for out there. The guy's place I hunt on out there has both tribal and state land. SD. will refund tags if I can't go out there. Haven't heard yet from tribal on what they will be willing to do. Damn this blast Covid stuff!