turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DSD decoys worth the money?

Started by Bobby5, March 18, 2020, 10:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakkin6

I actually bought a duck decoy bag and just throw my dekes and bag in there and it carries like a backpack

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Bobby5

went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought the upright hen and jake. They look better in person then the pics.

Shoreguy

The dad 3/4 jake is a must have. Put it out with a hen decoy a cheaper brand hen works for me. It's all in the jake posture. I have had many birds jump on the jake decoy since buying one. You won't be disappointed.

SteelCityArcher

Quote from: captpete on March 18, 2020, 11:06:38 PM
I have a Jake & upright hen. Bought them about 5-6 years ago. Outside of a small scuff here or there they look new. The first few times out they can be kind of a pain to carry, but you figure out how & what works for you. I put the hen decoy(in it's bag) in the with jake decoy so I only have to carry one bag. I bought the upright hen so I can use as a regular upright hen or stake it low like in a breeding postion.

Do you use a shorter stake to make it look like a breeder? I would never be able to get the original stake that far in the ground. I have the hard bodied version and tried to just set it on the ground, but it doesn't like to stay in place, especially if there is wind.
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

MK M GOBL

I just use an old arrow, cut to length and added an insert to the back end.

Easy fit in the pack and then stabilizes the decoy, I used my DSD Upright Hen, now I have bought the Submissive Hen. Upright is still used for Run &Guns so I can switch her to set.

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 09, 2020, 09:44:02 AM
I just use an old arrow, cut to length and added an insert to the back end.

Easy fit in the pack and then stabilizes the decoy, I used my DSD Upright Hen, now I have bought the Submissive Hen. Upright is still used for Run &Guns so I can switch her to set.

MK M GOBL
X2 ...So agree , I've got more cut pieces of arrow shaft ,than most indians had arrows ..LOL..

DUCKDIGGLER

Quality only costs once. No doubt the best turkey decoys on the market. Buy once, cry once.  :character0029:

Dfowlup

I have not upgraded to DSD's yet and probably won't as long as my Avians are accomplishing the job.  Both are fine decoys but I have had a lot of success with my Avians. I had to build sturdier stakes to withstand all the abuse they get and reseal them from time to time to hold air but that has been about the only issue. I am looking to purchase an older model Avian breeder hen like the one in the attached video link so if anyone has any leads please message me.  This hen was heavier and fatter than the new breeder and seems to attract gobblers and hens much better.  Even when I have out both they go to the "fat" hen first.  Here is a clip from some awesome video I got this past week:  https://youtu.be/e8ol8RHAbkg
Fowlup

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Dfowlup on April 10, 2020, 09:57:08 AM
I have not upgraded to DSD's yet and probably won't as long as my Avians are accomplishing the job.  Both are fine decoys but I have had a lot of success with my Avians. I had to build sturdier stakes to withstand all the abuse they get and reseal them from time to time to hold air but that has been about the only issue. I am looking to purchase an older model Avian breeder hen like the one in the attached video link so if anyone has any leads please message me.  This hen was heavier and fatter than the new breeder and seems to attract gobblers and hens much better.  Even when I have out both they go to the "fat" hen first.  Here is a clip from some awesome video I got this past week:  https://youtu.be/e8ol8RHAbkg

I will not be "upgrading." Avians have been working very well for me over the past 3-4 years at least. The paint has not chipped or peeled and they fool turkeys consistantly. I am not sure DSD's are truly the way to go. To expensive and it seems they don't hold up as wall as Avians. As to Avians not holding their air. Mine do!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.