OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DSD decoys worth the money?

Started by Bobby5, March 18, 2020, 10:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on March 20, 2020, 10:21:46 AM
You would think if turkeys cared about ultra realistic details then the fact that all decoys have one leg and very anatomically incorrect legs at that would be a huge red flag.
My turkey are pretty particular , they like the one leg hen's ..  :TooFunny:

Marc

Quote from: guesswho on March 19, 2020, 02:19:21 PM
For those who need or want them, they are worth every penny.  But for my personal use I wouldn't give 50 cents a pair for them.
Pretty fair statement right there....

No doubt but that the premium decoys are better.  More realistic and more durable.  That is not to say that other (less expensive) decoys will not work....  Or that you need decoys at all.

But nobody can say that premium decoys do not make a difference, or that they work better.  Impossible to prove (or disprove) that more realistic decoys attract (or not) turkeys better than less realistic decoys...

"My opinion" would be that more realism can potentially play into a greater success ration...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gobble!

Best looking decoy in my eyes but I've never noticed a difference using them vs other decoys.

Had to do some serious paint touch up work on my hen last year though it sounds like DSD has fixed the issue since I bought that hen in 2008 or so. Can't complain to much as she's 12 years old. Had some money to burn so I bought the new Jake, should be delivered next week. We will see how much action he gets.

Happy

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 20, 2020, 02:22:18 PM
You would think if turkeys cared about ultra realistic details then the fact that all decoys have one leg and very anatomically incorrect legs at that would be a huge red flag.
Your turkeys might be on to something Greg. A hen turkey frozen in place with one leg. Sounds like a perfect scenario for a hormone filled gobbler.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mtns2hunt

Well there is a gizmo that you can attach to a hen or Jake that when you pull the strings the decoy will twirl around. I sure that will take his attention off the one leg.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Old Gobbler

The DSD    decoys are worth the money , you'll only have to pay for them ONE time , my original hen dsd from 2008 is right now sitting out in a trail doing its thing , who only knows how many ice killed with it

Remember this is a one time investment,  one and done ...with that said if you were to only get 1 , I would recommend the Jake .....if two the Jake a d the upright hen that can also be laid on the ground

If your more mobile  and like to travel light then the hen may be best for you ....

All DSD decoys come with a camouflage carry bag
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

owlhoot

:TooFunny: :icon_thumright:
Good one Mr. Massey

RutnNStrutn

I've got a DSD upright hen, feeding hen and a jake. I think they're the best looking and most realistic decoys I've seen, other than a taxidermist mount, but if you think DSD's are expensive, look into the taxidermy ones!! :lol:
I've bought all of mine during the off season on sales. Turkeys think they are actual turkeys because they look so real. I've never had a bird shy away from my DSD's, yet. I know it will eventually happen. I started off years ago with cheap foam decoys, and slowly worked my way up to DSD's. I've found over the years that the more realistic your dekes are, the better the response to them.
So to answer your question, yes, they are worth the money.
I carry them in the bags they come in, over my shoulder. If I carry more than 2, I'll throw all the bags into a back pack style mesh duck decoy bag. It's worth the effort. As the season rolls on, I reduce the amount of dekes I carry, and eventually drop down to one hen. Mine have held up very well. No issues with wear and tear so far.

Marc

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 21, 2020, 09:38:18 AM
Remember this is a one time investment,  one and done ...with that said if you were to only get 1 , I would recommend the Jake .....if two the Jake a d the upright hen that can also be laid on the ground

If your more mobile  and like to travel light then the hen may be best for you ....

I would get the leading hen over the upright...  Other hens do NOT like that decoy, and it looks like a breeder if I set her directly on the ground (without a stake)...

Probably would not make any difference at all though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Bobby5

How do you guys carry 2 of the dsd decoys? Im use to the old fold up ones lol.

roberthyman14

Quote from: Bobby5 on March 23, 2020, 09:05:58 PM
Soccer ball bag.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Never have liked carrying decoys in a mesh bag. At least for me, I find that things ( beaks, stakes, etc ) kind of hang up in the mesh which I find aggravating. My preference is a non-mesh, smooth material. Things slip in and out easier.

dublelung

You should name her PEGgy!

rakkin6

I have Avians and they work very good. The only real issue I have had with them is a leak in my laydown hen and one in my 1/4 strut Jake. But a little shoe goo fixed them up. I think I will try the DSD and just buy them one at a time.

When I use them depends on the situation, I hunt on Fort Campbell which is an Army base. So obviously it is public land. But it is setup a little different then most public spots.  Not sure if anyone else has hunted military bases before but it is a check-in system. There is a list of available areas and you check into one of those areas. But if the area you want is full already you can't get it. So sometimes the area I get my have a lot of fields, sometimes more hardwoods. If I get an area with a lot of fields I carry several decoys. If it is more hardwoods then I might carry one hen decoy or none at all.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

captpete

Quote from: Bobby5 on March 23, 2020, 09:05:58 PM

Each one comes with a bag. I put the hen(without bag) in with the jake.