OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DSD decoys worth the money?

Started by Bobby5, March 18, 2020, 10:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrkimbrough

IMO yes they are worth the money, however I will say that the new Flextone decoys are absolutely killer for the price point!

Harty

DSDs- great quality.Great customer service. Will last a lifetime. Expensive and will need personally decide if it's worth it based on hunting style,time spent afield,monetary funds etc. I don't carry them when I R&G. My two get pounded everyday during the season generally(I borrow them to others) and still look great. This includes
some pretty nasty weather in Wisconsin .

dublelung

No they're not worth the absurd price they charge for them.

Back when I did use a decoy I used one from Wal Mart that was around $15.00 or $20.00 and it worked just fine.

EZ

Quote from: Fullfan on March 19, 2020, 07:56:12 AM
I have been killing gobblers for 35 years, decoys are not required. The high dollar decoys are meant to catch the hunter, just like red hooks or fishing. Setting and waiting with a flock of decoys to me is not hunting. But that is just me.

Couldn't agree more.
I would also add that if the OP is just starting to learn to turkey hunt, learn to hunt turkeys. He will have plenty of time to decide whether decoys are something he wants to fool with.

guesswho

For those who need or want them, they are worth every penny.  But for my personal use I wouldn't give 50 cents a pair for them.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Quote from: guesswho on March 19, 2020, 02:19:21 PM
For those who need or want them, they are worth every penny.  But for my personal use I wouldn't give 50 cents a pair for them.
Do i hear dollar , now 2 dollars 

MK M GOBL

If you are going to use decoys you can't do better than DSD's, been hunting with them since 2008. Started with the Upright Hen, added a Feeding Hen the next season and has gone on from there. They are DEADLY, and again not for every hunt but when you're going to use them they're worth the price and toting them around. If I were going for a Run & Gun pair it would be the 3/4 Strut Jake and Upright Hen (she can be used on the stake and off as a breeder) both will fit in the Jake's bag.

Now then comes the strutter, currently I have the Jake Strutter that I "Gobblerized"  aka lil' PUFFY and used my White Headed Design on him and been tipping toms. He's not the Run & Gun decoy but he is killer! If you are going to be in a blind and hunt an opening or a field this is where he's for.

I have a thread dedicated to DSD's here http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html there's a lot of info in there and as always if you have questions on use let me know, there is a lot to "Hunting decoys Right".

MK M GOBL

Happy

I am not a decoy fan but here is my opinion. It's a out like comparing a Remington to a Benelli. They both kill the same, one just makes you look cooler.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Kylongspur88

I don't use decoys much but when I do the interactions between live birds and my dsd hen is unlike any other decoy I've owned. And by that I mean birds will come right up to it and even try to breed it...

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Happy on March 19, 2020, 06:04:26 PM
I am not a decoy fan but here is my opinion. It's a out like comparing a Remington to a Benelli. They both kill the same, one just makes you look cooler.

I agree with the above statement. However, I kill turkeys with and without decoys. DSD's look great but so do Avians in my opinion and it does not bother me one bit that Avians are not American made. I have four Avians and an assortment of plastics decoys that came from Walmart. One of my plastic decoys came with a fan like tail which I quickly replaced with a real tail and cut down to look like a Jake. That poor bird gets no respect.

I have killed plenty of birds over Walmart or eBay foam decoys. There is always one in my vest and they work fine to get a bird in close enough to shoot. I honestly don't care if they get bred or not.

I beleave one should not overthink the decoy equation. That high dollar extra fancy decoy is no guarantee that you are going to kill that gobbler. Save your bucks and buy a cheap decoy at Walmart polish up your calling and wood craft skills and wait until after season to buy your decoys on sale if that is the route you wish to go. Just my 2 cents.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

mudhen

DSD are great quality decoys!!

Spend your money however you wish!!!
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

roberthyman14

They are turkeys in rut, put a pillow sack out there on a stick they will come.   I have some 15 year old, foam folding decoys.  Ugly as sin.  But they have worked when needed.   Dont hardly carry them anymore. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

DSD is 100 percent worth the money!  My Jake has been around for 8 seasons or so, has been beat on by countless gobblers and barely shows signs of wear.

I guide and hunt personally so I spend more days in the field than most, the realistic decoys make a huge difference, will cheap ones work, sure but not as good!

I used stuffer decoys prior to dsd and before that cheap foam ones, when I had cheap ones I rarely used them simply because they didn't work more often than not!

You will get enough use from the DSD to justify the price and then some!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

You would think if turkeys cared about ultra realistic details then the fact that all decoys have one leg and very anatomically incorrect legs at that would be a huge red flag.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

redjones

I'll preface my reply a little bit,killed my first Turkey in the mid 70's,there was no such thing as a turkey decoy back then that I know of.
Last Spring I killed 3 birds all of them over a decoy.
I had just as much enjoyment and satisfaction out of last bird I killed as I did the first.
When I killed my first bird I was carrying a 20ga sxs whatever 2 3/4'' shells I had in my pants pocket and a Lynch box call,no camo no gps,cell phone,blah,blah,blah.
Like anything else involving the outdoors these days,the amount of "Gear" you have access to is incredible and its up to you what makes your time spent in the Outdoors more or less enjoyable.
If I hunted woods or swamps mostly a decoy would probably not be high on my list of needed gear,but I hunt farmland so they fill a need for long distance attraction.
A lot of the places I hunt are small parcels and there is no run and gun option,more than once I have killed a bird that came off a neighboring property to a decoy set on a field edge.
And they are great for guys hunting out of blinds,with kids or older hunters,lots of interaction between birds and decoys,its very entertaining.
As far as realism,you could probably cut some decoys out of cardboard,paint them up and kill Turkeys,but to me pride of ownership comes into play,I like nice guns and rifle's and gear and yes decoys.
We live in age where people spend 5 to 15 dollars for one Turkey load,hundreds plus on calls,hundreds plus on clothes and decoys and chairs and blinds and boots and vest,hundreds plus on guns,hundreds plus on scopes and bino's,Thousands on out of state trips,guides,tags,etc,etc,etc.
The older I get the less I seem to worry about the killing its more about the overall experience.
There's no right or wrong way to enjoy your time outdoors,you just have to figure out what makes your time in the field the best it can be and don't worry about what everyone else says or does.
And yes DSD's are worth it,I hunt over their Goose decoys also,but there are quite a few other brands now that make quality realistic Turkey decoys.

Hope Everyone Has a Great Spring...............Greg

Semper Fi