turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lefty Semi

Started by njt124, March 18, 2020, 09:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njt124

What is everyone's opinion on an SBE2 with 24inch barrell?  Looking for my first semi auto and am left handed.  Would like something drilled and tapped for a red dot.  Also prefer a shorter barrell length.  Any other suggestions that are lefty friendly?

Elmerfudd

I've got an original SBE left handed with 24" barrel. Served me well for 20 yrs or so. Nothing has ever broken, handles like an over/under and feeds anything I've ever put thru it. I've done some mods over time - mainspring upgrade, trigger spring kit from taran tactical, had it cerakoted midnite bronze and the plastic done in MO Bottomland. Love it. I also have an M2 in 20 gauge but it's a righty model.  I shot right handed 870s for so many years I really don't see any diff. You can adjust the cast for left or right handed on Benellis which is a huge plus. 

Tom007

Wow, love to see your Cerakote SBE. I am also a lefty, but I also have aSuper Black Eagle Steady Grip. The gun is right handed, does not bother me. I love it, 24 inch barrel, Nikon Scope, Rob Roberts 660 choke. Shoots Fed Heavyweight #6 real good. I recommend the Benelli. Good luck.....
"Solo hunter"

Brian Fahs

I am a left hand shooter but own right hand semi shotguns. I hunt with a remington sp-10 with a 22 inch barrel. My backup gun is an old 11-87 greenleaf with a 21 inch barrel. Been shooting the 10 gauge for almost 30 years and love it. I never had an issue with using a right handed semi but did reverse the safeties to left hand operation.

I recently got the bug to buy a 20 since I shoot tss hand loads in the 10 and 12. I found a benelli m2 12 gauge with a 21 inch barrel I could not pass up the price on. I bought it but have not patterned it yet. I did buy an Indian creek choke for it.

Did I mention I like short barrels for turkey.......

If I add a 20 it will probably be an 11-87 compact. My nephew has one that really shoots well.

Tom007

Fantastic. That Greenleaf 1187 must be a beauty. Be safe
"Solo hunter"

njt124

What is everyone's opinion on a red dot and what mount to use?

Tom007

Burris fast flight with speedball Mount. Mount goes between stock and receiver. If gun is drilled for weaver type base, the Nikon Spur Turkey red dot is great. Good luck
"Solo hunter"

Elmerfudd

Swamp fox king Slayer with green circle dot or Holosun 507 with adjustable reticle. Also can't go wrong with fast fire 3. Will post some pics tomorrow

Brian Fahs

Sumtoy mount with vortex venom 3 moa

I had to have my receivers tapped but after trying to mount a speedbead on my 11-87 I tossed it in the trash and called sumtoy. Problem solved

Tom007

Good info, thanks....
"Solo hunter"

Elmerfudd

M2 20 ga with Sumtoy mount cerakoted to match receiver and SwampFox Kingslayer green circle dot.

Elmerfudd

Original SBE lefty 12 with midnite bronze cerakote and MO bottomland ink.

Mounts is a ScalarWorks SYNC and the optic is a Holosun 507C with the selectable red reticles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom007

No that is a beauty my friend......wow :turkey2:
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Two beauties, wow. Great job. Did you buy them that way, or set them up yourself? Nice job...
"Solo hunter"

Elmerfudd

The SBE was an original, gen 1, all black. Traded the 28" for a 24" barrel years ago. I had it dipped in bottomland about 3 yrs ago and the finish was crap and just self destructed in one season. I stripped it completely and ran it black again for awhile. I was an early red dot fan and ran Burris ff2 and ff3s on a weaver base. This year I decided to give it a facelift so I had it cerakoted and the stocks dipped again by another vendor. Much better job. Then decided I wanted to mount my optics lower and found the scalarworks mount in the trijicon/ Holosun  footprint. Then decided to change the mainspring for the heavier Wolff model, put a trigger spring kit in, larger bolt handle and bolt release. It always shot crazy tight with an old MAD choke tube (similar to old primos) so no change there. Call it done.

TSS got me looking at 20 ga options. Last year I ran a Franchi Affinity and it was great. But I hated the grip on it. So much that I sold it. Found the M2 with tungsten cerakote and the optifade camo. I thought wow that's a different look and nobody else will have one of them. Only change was adding the larger bolt release button and the TT trigger spring kit. Sumtoy set me up with Williams awesome base that I had coated to match and a 562 5 choke. It patterns so tight I'm thinking of having him make me a 570 for it.

I went right handed on the 20 ga because Benelli doesn't make a left handed slug barrel for their lefty M2 20 and I see myself needing one at some point for Ontario since I'm hunting up there again with some frequency.

Thanks for asking. I'm pretty happy with both platforms.