turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

State Hunting Closures Thread

Started by GobbleNut, March 17, 2020, 11:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

In Massachusetts its turkey season as usual. WMAs are open, most state parks that allow hunting are open,and the rest of private land are open. Just about all hunting lands are open, to both RESIDENTS and NON-RESIDENTS. Some solitude on a set up and a vocal gobbler is something we all need. Outside and in fresh air, best health boost I can think of! My very best wishes for all of you and your families!  :wagon:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

SCGobbler

Quote from: greencop01 on March 31, 2020, 02:11:41 PM
In Massachusetts its turkey season as usual. WMAs are open, most state parks that allow hunting are open,and the rest of private land are open. Just about all hunting lands are open, to both RESIDENTS and NON-RESIDENTS. Some solitude on a set up and a vocal gobbler is something we all need. Outside and in fresh air, best health boost I can think of! My very best wishes for all of you and your families!  :wagon:
Amen to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

WylieCoyote

Quote from: SCGobbler on March 30, 2020, 12:04:49 AM
SC has cancelled all draw hunts on all properties.

There are a few WMAs that are closed so if you are coming to SC from out of state it is best to check first.

Again, some not all WMAs in SC are closed.

As far as I know the National Forests and most WMAs are open as expected.

Public land was dead Saturday for youth day. Not sure if people opted out of hunting or everyone leased land lol. Either way I hope tomorrow is the same way!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

SCGobbler

I may be wrong but... I didn't think the WMAs opened in 1&2 until the 1st even if it was a youth day.

The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Neill_Prater

I liken this my route truck driving days when the roads were covered with ice and snow, I wasn't worried about my driving, but rather all the idiots on the road.  I hunted Alabama last week. Never felt I was endangering myself, or anyone else. Stayed with my good friend and his wife. They're both retired so have limited contact with other people. The 4 counties I was in during the hunt, as of yesterday, still had no confirmed cases. I went inside exactly 3 businesses, 2 Dollar Generals, looking for TP to bring home, they were out, and a C-store for a bag of ice. Used 70% alcohol freely as a hand sanitizer EVERY time I touched anything another human might have. Payed at the pump, wore gloves, and if I got change at a drive through, I gave the coins an alcohol bath. In other words, taking the same precautions I am here at home. If I am able to hunt Kansas, which I normally do, I will have zero contact with another human, and sleep in my Jeep if I hunt multiple days. I would not go if I suspected that I even remotely might have been exposed. If everyone did this, I am guessing the turkey woods are possibly the safest place on the globe to be.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

ChiefBubba

Getting word that a most South Florida WMAs closing today. When I get the list I'll post. Bubba

ChiefBubba

https://www.sfwmd.gov/news/sfwmd-temporarily-closing-public-access-some-district-lands-protect-public-safety-reduce

That the website with the closures. Most of these the hunting is done with or there was no hunts on them at all. Two biggest surprises are the 2 Kissimmee ones. They have a couple more weeks of hunting.
I had a permitted hunt this past weekend. I've never seen so many hikers and bikers in a WMA before. Since these are pretty much the only thing open and no one at the gates anyone and everyone could come and go. I hate to think how turkey let got poached this season. Bubba

shemp

If anybody still planning on hunting FL, check the updates daily...some WMAs restricted, some open.
I am 0 for 3 on hunt days to date...small problem given what's going on in the world at the moment.

Gator spooked a gobbling tom at 80 yards Sunday of opening weekend.  Opener was dead as a rock for turkeys.  Went 1 day this weekend, had a hen and drumming tom scoot behind me on the edge of the burn...never saw them but they couldn't have been 15 yards behind me soft yelping and drumming.

Front blowing through today, maybe tomorrow's the day

longbeards

WV has closed all National Forest Campgrounds, all State Park Lodges and camping areas.

idgobble

OutWest

Nebraska has closed to nonresidents, if you have a tag already you are still good to go but no additional tags for sale. KS is restricting certain states, they have the list on their website. Unfortunately mine made the list.

fallhnt

More states will close to NR I'm sure. I can't even hunt state owned ground in my own state. Glad I prefer fall turkey hunting. Should be great this fall.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

dzsmith

Quote from: greencop01 on March 31, 2020, 02:11:41 PM
you have to consider that 90% of the country cannot even come to Massachusetts without traveling through new York .....so yal are fairly safe from the traveling turkey hunter at the moment.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

idgobble

4/4/20   The Idaho Fish and Game Commission adopted a rule that temporarily suspends the sale of several types of nonresident fishing and hunting licenses, tags, and permits effective immediately, lasts until rule repealed consistent with Idaho public health ordershttps://idfg.idaho.gov/press/nonresident-licenses-permits-and-tags-sales-temporarily-suspended-fg-commission ...