News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

State Hunting Closures Thread

Started by GobbleNut, March 17, 2020, 11:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzsmith

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on March 18, 2020, 08:01:12 AM
If anyone thinks "closing" public land to turkey hunters is actually going to stop them, I've got some ocean front property in Missouri to sell them.  Good luck enforcing that.

it probably wont as far as your home state national forests and such. but If they do restrict travel and have the national guard assisiting on the roads...then yes it will stop people from traveling to hunt. good news is, with the talk of not arresting people for petty theft and drugs and possibly letting prisoners out of jail...I don't know what they would actually do to you if you were caught.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

THattaway

All SC lottery hunts cancelled due to governors order regarding state employees. WMA still open at this time but there are some public access sites closed. Some areas do indeed get heavy pressure and with lots of folks with time on their hands, work closings and school out, I'd expect heavier than normal
Public land use if it stays open, expect it will. On a side note and an example of increased pressure, during the economy downturn and under Obama you had to bring your own rock to stand on at many popular trout streams in the southeast. A fly shop owner complained to me about it even, said he had to holler at one fella that even birds on a wire know what too close is.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

WylieCoyote

Quote from: THattaway on March 23, 2020, 01:36:12 PM
All SC lottery hunts cancelled due to governors order regarding state employees. WMA still open at this time but there are some public access sites closed. Some areas do indeed get heavy pressure and with lots of folks with time on their hands, work closings and school out, I'd expect heavier than normal
Public land use if it stays open, expect it will. On a side note and an example of increased pressure, during the economy downturn and under Obama you had to bring your own rock to stand on at many popular trout streams in the southeast. A fly shop owner complained to me about it even, said he had to holler at one fella that even birds on a wire know what too close is.
What part of SC do you hunt? I'm in Union county.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

THattaway

Upstate, Laurens county. I've stomped a bunch of Union county public land.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Coroner01

I reside in Northern Illinois and this is whats going on.  All youth season and regular season turkey is open for private land ONLY.   No State land can be hunted at this time.  All our restaurants are closed for inside business. All bars closed. We are basically locked down to only stores for food, gas, and take out.  I went to the pizza place last night for our order.  We called when we arrived. They came out with our food, wearing gloves. Nobody allowed in their establishment. My sons birthday is today. It was so sad to be uneventful.  Be safe. God Bless.  AL

WylieCoyote

Quote from: THattaway on March 23, 2020, 03:42:03 PM
Upstate, Laurens county. I've stomped a bunch of Union county public land.
Awesome brother! I live in Enoree just across the bridge lol. I wouldn't doubt that I may know you.

WylieCoyote

Quote from: Coroner01 on March 23, 2020, 05:03:26 PM
I reside in Northern Illinois and this is whats going on.  All youth season and regular season turkey is open for private land ONLY.   No State land can be hunted at this time.  All our restaurants are closed for inside business. All bars closed. We are basically locked down to only stores for food, gas, and take out.  I went to the pizza place last night for our order.  We called when we arrived. They came out with our food, wearing gloves. Nobody allowed in their establishment. My sons birthday is today. It was so sad to be uneventful.  Be safe. God Bless.  AL
Ah man, that sucks. I hope with all the precautions that everyone stays safe and healthy man. Good luck from SC!

Dtrkyman

New Mexico

Santa Fe– As directed by Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham in response to COVID-19, the
Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department (EMNRD) is closing all New Mexico State
Parks effective Monday, March 16.
Scheduled events during this time have also been canceled in the interest of public safety. The
closures will expire April 9 unless extended. A law enforcement presence will remain in the park
to ensure the protection of natural resources.
Visitors with overnight camping reservations will be issued a full refund. To stay up to date on
additional announcements, visit the State Parks website.
In addition to canceling all large public events and avoiding large public gatherings whenever
possible, New Mexico health officials continue to urge New Mexicans to:
• Avoid all non-essential travel to affected out-of-state areas; and exercise extreme caution
with all out-of-state travel
• Remain home ("self-isolate") if you are sick and call the Department of Health at 1-855-
600-3453 if you are exhibiting any of the symptoms of COVID-19
o Those symptoms include fever, cough or trouble breathing
• And continue taking precautionary steps to protect your individual health, such as:
o Washing your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
o Clean "high-touch" surfaces daily with regular household cleaners
o Avoid sharing personal household items

A lot of Parks here are no hunting, plenty of BLM, state and national forest to hunt. Season starts the 15th so possibly no effect as far as that goes.

trkehunr93

VA is still open on all WMA's/state lands and the George Washington and Jefferson National forest are still accessible to hunting.  Our trout heritage day has been cancelled and all trout stockings going forward will be unannounced, which won't change much as the stocking truck followers will still congregate, only in small groups of 10 or less per Gov. Northam's order, to wait on the stocking truck. 

owlhoot

Washington state closes fishing, camping and use of wildlife areas and water access sites.
Looks like close to a million acres?

captpete

I know this doesn't have anything to do with hunting, but they closing National Parks. Here is the article:  https://apnews.com/9cea10d86ecd951dcc2896e1c0531322

idgobble

I'm forced to cancel my turkey hunting vacation to Colorado because of Trump Virus social distancing guidelines and travel restrictions.

WylieCoyote

Quote from: idgobble on March 29, 2020, 08:20:53 PM
I'm forced to cancel my turkey hunting vacation to Colorado because of Trump Virus social distancing guidelines and travel restrictions.
Just go, tell them you're required to hunt because you're efforts are ESSINTIAL for a thriving ecosystem.

SCGobbler

SC has cancelled all draw hunts on all properties.

There are a few WMAs that are closed so if you are coming to SC from out of state it is best to check first.

Again, some not all WMAs in SC are closed.

As far as I know the National Forests and most WMAs are open as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

762hunter

I just got word that Nebraska is no longer selling any non resident tags.

There goes my trip to Nebraska

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk