OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

State Hunting Closures Thread

Started by GobbleNut, March 17, 2020, 11:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefBubba

What I'm getting from my FWC contacts is that WMA closings are rumors. They're open for turkey season. There are some state parks and other places closing though. Bubba.

Tail Feathers

I heard from a source with close ties to FL FWC that FL will not close their public lands.  They will be taking other measures, porta potties will be removed to prevent disease spreading by contact and bird checks will be on-line only.  Camping will still be allowed.
A quick check does not show any of this on their website so keep an eye on that for any changes.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 17, 2020, 11:49:50 PM
Closing of state lines are possibly a bigger concern for those who hunt multiple states.

This crossed my mind as well...

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: rakkin6 on March 18, 2020, 02:02:38 AM
Today I received an Email from the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) that said they will not be closing any hunting or fishing seasons or state lands due to the Coronavirus. It said that during this time the outdoors are a good outlet for individuals and that there is no better form of "social distancing" then the outdoors. I was glad to hear that from the TWRA  has I was worried that it could happen. I tried to download the email attachment and post it with this but was unable to. Good luck to the rest of you and stay safe.

I saw this post! That's great! Hope other follow the same.

rakkin6

This is the email from the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA).

as many schools, churches and offices are closing due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we remind all Tennesseans that the great outdoors remains open as usual and more inviting than ever. March and April usually bring some excellent fishing opportunities. Also, turkey hunting will kick off March 28th with the statewide youth season, and April 4th for everyone else.

What better way is there to practice 'social distancing,' as health authorities recommend, than to seize the opportunity to get outside and enjoy Tennessee's natural resources. The recommendation is to stay 6 feet or more away from others as you head outside.

Places that are open for you to get outside and enjoy some sunshine:

Boat ramps

Family fishing lakes

Statewide Bank Fishing

Wildlife Management Areas

Select Shooting ranges on WMAs (only unstaffed shooting ranges are open)

Renew Your License
The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency offices statewide have very limited staff on location until further notice. This is in response to the Governor's emergency declaration and the need to halt the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

The headquarters and field offices will remain open with limited staffing until further notice. In addition, scheduled public events through April are being canceled/postponed. These include any in-person hunter education classes, boating education classes, public staff shooting ranges, the National Archery in the Schools state tournament, and Commission meetings.

There are no plans to limit turkey season, which opens statewide April 4. Public land hunts and quota hunts will be opened.

Many TWRA staff will continue serving the sportsmen and sportswomen of Tennessee by working remotely.

We encourage everyone to get online if they need us. You can make inquiries about anything through our website or email. Our licensing system is available 24/7/365 online so anyone can purchase licenses at anytime without going to a physical location. Or, go paperless and use the TWRA on the Go App for license purchase.

We will continue to respond to inquiries on TWRA's normal public communication outlets including:

Facebook
Email messages via the "Contact Us" link Ask.TWRA@tn.gov
TnWildlife.org
Game Wardens will be in service across the state as usual; to report a violation or accident visit https://www.tn.gov/twra/law-enforcement#accident

Upgrade your license to a Collector's Card

MORE RESOURCES:

Contact Us! Call or email

Get the TWRA On The Go App and Go Paperless

Where to Go Fishing

Fishing Regulations

Everything Fishing

Turkey Hunting Information

Everything Hunting

Update your subscriptions, modify your password or email address, or stop subscriptions at any time on your Subscriber Preferences Page. You will need to use your email address to log in. If you have questions or problems with the subscription service, please visit subscriberhelp.govdelivery.com.

This service is provided to you at no charge by Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

cracker4112

Florida has announced some campground closures, but the lands are still open for now.

Check here: https://myfwc.com/recreation/notices/

ChiefBubba

https://www.sfwmd.gov/news/camping-suspended-sfwmd-land-60-days-reduce-spread-covid-19

I believe this will be the campgrounds in the WMAs. From what it say's if you're already camping you can stay until Monday.
Florida is kind of screwy when it comes to WMAs and hunting. FWC only runs the hunting on them The Water Management Districts operate the properties. So you can still hunt but you'll have to camp someplace else. Bubba

WylieCoyote

Quote from: davisd9 on March 18, 2020, 08:15:22 AM
South Carolina remains open and to my knowledge will continue to be open.  Does not make a lot of sense to close down an activity that involves a couple people at most in the woods.
Noooo!!!! Tell them all WMA is closed until further notice. Especially to all NC residents

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Big Sky Tom

I have tickets to fly back East and hunt my Dad's family's farm in S MD. Been looking forward and prepping all year. Gonna be pretty crushed if they shut down interstate travel or something.

I work in oil and gas. On the plus side this $25 a barrel oil might mean I have the turkey season off as well as fishing season and the foreseeable future....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

No State Land "Closures" I have seen in WI, State DNR did shutdown the Lean to Hunt Turkey Program though, I have already contacted my hunter and she will be out with me during regular season.

MK M GOBL

ChiefBubba

They've closed all WMA Campgrounds. Hunting still remains open for now. Bubba

Turkeytider

Rather than closed public land, I think the greatest threat to the season will be closures/restrictions on travel, be it inter or intrastate.

fallhnt

So the top 3 chit hole states in the Union are closed but....California,#1 chit hole,governor changed the wording and the construction on the NFL stadium continues. In my chit hole state of IL,#3 on my list, liquor stores are deemed essential and stay open.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

ChiefBubba

Not turkey related but some counties and cities in Florida are starting to close boat ramps. I'm thinking all recreational opportunities will be closer by the end of the week. Bubba

idgobble

I'm in Idaho and have not heard of closures here yet.  Maybe this Colorado policy will interest some. I contacted CO Parks and Wildlife about my hard to draw controlled spring turkey hunt I used my 6 preference pts. to get. I'm very pleased with their reply. I'm still hoping to use the tag but it will be a last minute decision in mid-April.

"Thank you for your email regarding your upcoming spring turkey hunt in Colorado. This is a time of uncertainty for us all, but Colorado Parks and Wildlife will be doing all we can to accommodate customers impacted by the outbreak. For the 2020 spring turkey season, we will be waiving the 14-day minimum requirement to turn in one's spring turkey license for a refund as well as the $15 processing fee. We will also allow for refunds and restoration of turkey preference points for this spring season only.  Licenses will need to be postmarked and/or returned before the start of the season to be eligible.