OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: State Hunting Closures Thread  (Read 14448 times)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
State Hunting Closures Thread
« on: March 17, 2020, 11:00:25 PM »
The concerns about states closing public hunting areas or seasons makes me think we need a thread for information on any of that sort of thing that might be happening around the country.  If you know of closures or any information that might be of value to other hunters that might be headed your way, please share.

Here in New Mexico, as far as I am aware as of March 17th, there are no plans in the works to close areas or seasons,...at least I have not seen anything.  ...Will update if any concerns arise. 

Offline a_jabbo

Re: State Hunting Closures Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:09:58 PM »
Definitely something we are all dreading with seasons opening an trips planned. This is a great topic to start given the current situation.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 11:49:50 PM »
Closing of state lines are possibly a bigger concern for those who hunt multiple states.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 12:28:11 AM »
I understand Illinois closed all state lands, even the forests.  If anyone if thinking of hunting public there please check into that.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 01:47:57 AM »
Ogala Sioux Reservation in Kyle, SD has closed it's land to outside personnel.  The tribal council made this decision over the weekend.

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 02:02:38 AM »
Today I received an Email from the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) that said they will not be closing any hunting or fishing seasons or state lands due to the Coronavirus. It said that during this time the outdoors are a good outlet for individuals and that there is no better form of "social distancing" then the outdoors. I was glad to hear that from the TWRA  has I was worried that it could happen. I tried to download the email attachment and post it with this but was unable to. Good luck to the rest of you and stay safe.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline CharlesW87

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 03:09:36 AM »
100% confirmed that ALL Illinois state land  is closed until further notice. No information on if it will affect hunting seasons or not with opening day being April 13th and youth season the 2 weekends before. From what I could gather from the media, the shutdowns for restaurants, bars and other establishments are only supposed to last for 14 day or 2 weeks. So fingers crossed it's the same for state land

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 04:11:51 AM »
My in-laws live up in Illinois and they own a couple small diners in Manteno and Kankakee, completely sucks for them and their staff. They texted me and were telling me about the state land shut down. Still doesn't make sense toe why they would shut it down, it is not like you are surrounded by people while fishing or hunting.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline Jester87

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Arizona
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 04:13:16 AM »
No land access restrictions in AZ yet. They just canceled next weekends annual game & fish sports show.

Offline falltoms

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 06:14:21 AM »
Rosebud Sioux Game and Parks, hunts are canceled

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 07:15:32 AM »
Florida south zone is open now.  Rest of State due to open Saturday.  At this minute everything a go.  Crazy times.  Nothing will surprise me anymore.  If you are coming from out of state and aren't here already here that may be the problem.  Good luck to everyone.

Offline Bolandstrutters

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 08:01:12 AM »
If anyone thinks "closing" public land to turkey hunters is actually going to stop them, I've got some ocean front property in Missouri to sell them.  Good luck enforcing that. 

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 08:15:22 AM »
South Carolina remains open and to my knowledge will continue to be open.  Does not make a lot of sense to close down an activity that involves a couple people at most in the woods.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
I understand Illinois closed all state lands, even the forests.  If anyone if thinking of hunting public there please check into that.
Forest is open. Corp ground is open. Only effecting state owned property. If everything opens at the end of March,only a few youth hunters will be effected. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Hobbes

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 11:02:39 AM »
If agencies read the threads on these forums that cry about overcrowded public lands during hunting season, they'd have to believe that it's shoulder to shoulder.