OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Franchi affinity 3 20 gauge. #9 TSS hand load  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Bustabeak

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Carroll county Georgia!
    • Smallwood and sons
Franchi affinity 3 20 gauge. #9 TSS hand load
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:37:42 PM »
I was able to pattern my gun today. I don’t know what the parameters are as to how many in a 10” circle are, but the turkey target is an 8” circle and I had 258 in the 8” circle at 40 yards ranged with a laser range finder. I sighted the gun in first then took to the turkey targets. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

1st pic at 40
2nd pic at 2

Franchi affinity 3
26” barrel
Sumtoy  .562
Sumtoy sight base
Burris fast fire 3
Hal’s hand load Big 20XL #9 TSS
I’d say today was about 65 degrees very light winds

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:24:28 PM by Bustabeak »

Offline RemingtonRules

Franchi affinity 3 20 gauge. #9 TSS hand load
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 09:07:55 AM »
That 20 yard pattern is super tight.   That would be my only concern.

You have room to give on your 40 so you can open up the 20. I would shoot a more open choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bustabeak

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Smallwood and sons
Re: Franchi affinity 3 20 gauge. #9 TSS hand load
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 11:56:48 AM »
It is a little tight. I’ve shot three this year with it. One at 30, one at 55 and one at 68 yards (Disclaimer: I don’t always shoot at turkey that far, he got spooky and I had a shot and took it. Turns out it worked) but I also think the 20 is pretty tight, but I prefer them to be at 30 to 40 for me to take a shot. 

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 09:34:49 AM »
You got room to open it up some, but if you dont, just make sure you're on him tight if he's close!!! Good pattern,personally I wouldn't touch it.

Offline TTG

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 02:24:35 PM »
It is a little tight. I’ve shot three this year with it. One at 30, one at 55 and one at 68 yards (Disclaimer: I don’t always shoot at turkey that far, he got spooky and I had a shot and took it. Turns out it worked) but I also think the 20 is pretty tight, but I prefer them to be at 30 to 40 for me to take a shot.

I don't mean to come across harsh, but I would suggest taking shots you don't have to "hope" it kills the turkey. You could have easily wounded that bird. Have a better set up or better anything next time. Just not the image that turkey hunting needs is people taking hail mary shots because they shoot TSS. I get misjudging a distance but shooting a living animal with a shotgun that far is not good practice.

On topic, pattern looks good at 40 but maybe overblown at 20? Seems like there's a belt to it which you can get from too tight of a choke. Hope this helps and happy hunting

Offline Bustabeak

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Smallwood and sons
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 03:54:03 PM »
Thanks your your input.

Offline blazer29

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 09:43:36 AM »
I was able to pattern my gun today. I don’t know what the parameters are as to how many in a 10” circle are, but the turkey target is an 8” circle and I had 258 in the 8” circle at 40 yards ranged with a laser range finder. I sighted the gun in first then took to the turkey targets. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

1st pic at 40
2nd pic at 2

Franchi affinity 3
26” barrel
Sumtoy  .562
Sumtoy sight base
Burris fast fire 3

Did you do anything specific to the Barrel? I have the sam exact setup, hope to shoot some Apex through it Thursday and see how it does.

Offline Bustabeak

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Smallwood and sons
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 09:45:29 AM »

1st pic at 40
2nd pic at 2

Franchi affinity 3
26” barrel
Sumtoy  .562
Sumtoy sight base
Burris fast fire 3

Did you do anything specific to the Barrel? I have the sam exact setup, hope to shoot some Apex through it Thursday and see how it does.

No, I have not done anything to the barrel. I would like to polish it, just haven’t had the time. I love my gun. I’ll probably never shoot a 12 gauge again as long as I can’t get the stuff to load my own shells.

Offline DaMitch

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 07:12:15 PM »
I would not change a thing.  Those are very nice patterns at both ranges.

Offline Hansonc

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »
I’ve got the same gun and shoot the same load. What I’ve found with the vp92 wad is it responds very well to chokes with an exit diameter of .575 and up. I run a .585 in mine and gives 270/250 in the 10 and 20 consistently

Offline Bustabeak

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Smallwood and sons
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 06:41:00 PM »
I was able to actually shoot today and I shot at 65 yards. I have no doubt this would kill a turkey every time. Hal’s big 20 XL. I’d prefer them at 30 or closer, but I’d feel 100% confident if I wanted to take this shot.