OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Had one Gobble back to me

Started by Sir-diealot, March 17, 2020, 12:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I was walking along a property that can't be hunted and had taken my Ghost Cut mouth calls I had gotten from Daddy_Rat just to practice. I was surprised when I had a gobble come back at me. I never did see him, heard the gobble and some branches in the woods breaking and that was it. I got talking to the landowner and he said he had two toms strutting to a couple of hens a few days ago right in the area that I was.

Now it is nice that I got a reply and all, but it is way to early for them to be strutting here in NY our season does not even start until May 1 I have been talking with a friend earlier in the day and he and his son agree that this warmer weather we are having could really mess out the turkey season if they start early. Sure hope not. I am in the Finger Lakes Region by the way.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Terry

I've seen them strutting in February before. Every year they talk about the weather messing up the season and every year Toms get killed up until the end of the season.  I wouldn't worry about it.

I am closer to  Lake Ontario

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Terry on March 17, 2020, 06:47:59 AM
I've seen them strutting in February before. Every year they talk about the weather messing up the season and every year Toms get killed up until the end of the season.  I wouldn't worry about it.

I am closer to  Lake Ontario

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
I hope you are right, I have seen them go a little early but this is really early. As a friend and I were talking about, it seems when it is a late winter the seasons seem to be better.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Bowguy

I'd never turkey call to birds when scouting. Never let em know it coming.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on March 17, 2020, 02:13:24 PM
I'd never turkey call to birds when scouting. Never let em know it coming.

I did not do that, as stated, the land can't be hunted. I did not expect a thing, I just need a lot of practice on mouth calls so practiced as I walked.

John Koenig:

GobbleNut

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 17, 2020, 12:28:49 AM
....but it is way to early for them to be strutting here in NY our season does not even start until May 1 I have been talking with a friend earlier in the day and he and his son agree that this warmer weather we are having could really mess out the turkey season if they start early. Sure hope not. I am in the Finger Lakes Region by the way.

A short lesson in wild turkey biology:
Turkeys everywhere can gobble, strut, and display breeding-type behavior any time of the year.  Actual breeding activity is primarily determined by the length of the day,...or the total daylight hours.  This "diurnal period" response is an evolutionary trait that has evolved over eons to ensure that turkeys (as well as many other species) have their young at the most optimum time of year for those young to survive.   

While short-term climatic/weather conditions can affect breeding to a small degree, the idea that warm (or cold) weather will drastically alter the onset (or delay) of the breeding period of turkeys is unfounded. 

Now, weather can affect the daily activity of turkeys,...that is, how much they gobble, strut, and otherwise interact with each other on a particular day.  However, the idea that a warm or cold  spring will alter the breeding cycle such that it will significantly impact properly-timed spring gobbler hunting is erroneous. 

In other words, don't worry about whether your turkeys will be still be "in the mood" when your season rolls around.  They will be this year, next year, and every year in any of our lifetimes.   

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 18, 2020, 08:38:51 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 17, 2020, 12:28:49 AM
....but it is way to early for them to be strutting here in NY our season does not even start until May 1 I have been talking with a friend earlier in the day and he and his son agree that this warmer weather we are having could really mess out the turkey season if they start early. Sure hope not. I am in the Finger Lakes Region by the way.

A short lesson in wild turkey biology:
Turkeys everywhere can gobble, strut, and display breeding-type behavior any time of the year.  Actual breeding activity is primarily determined by the length of the day,...or the total daylight hours.  This "diurnal period" response is an evolutionary trait that has evolved over eons to ensure that turkeys (as well as many other species) have their young at the most optimum time of year for those young to survive.   

While short-term climatic/weather conditions can affect breeding to a small degree, the idea that warm (or cold) weather will drastically alter the onset (or delay) of the breeding period of turkeys is unfounded. 

Now, weather can affect the daily activity of turkeys,...that is, how much they gobble, strut, and otherwise interact with each other on a particular day.  However, the idea that a warm or cold  spring will alter the breeding cycle such that it will significantly impact properly-timed spring gobbler hunting is erroneous. 

In other words, don't worry about whether your turkeys will be still be "in the mood" when your season rolls around.  They will be this year, next year, and every year in any of our lifetimes.
I hope you are right.

John Koenig:

EZ

Quite a few of your hens are bread by the end of March every year. Everything is just a little early due to a warmer winter, but certainly not too early for Gobblers to be strutting. Any warm sunny period during winter will have birds strutting and gobbling. No worries.