OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Rain chalk  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Here turkey turkey turkey

Rain chalk
« on: March 15, 2020, 09:58:48 PM »
Anyone use this on your scratch boxes?

To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Online outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Rain chalk
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 10:02:50 PM »
I'v used it on my calls and it's really good stuff
http://www.rainchalk.com/products.html

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 10:06:41 PM »
My favorite for scratch boxes just got 2 more pieces

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Candyman

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 10:07:07 PM »

Yes!!  I really like it.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 10:08:36 PM »
That is all I need to know, thanks guys.
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 02:22:57 PM »
I need to reapply far less often with it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 02:31:20 PM »
I have used and like both the rain chalk, the carpenters chalk, the H.S. Strut brown chalk and the red railroad chalk I believe it is called and I prefer the red chalk myself, seems to give more bite to the way  it grips the striker piece if you know what I mean. I like it on my box calls as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 03:30:49 PM »
Do you guys just put it over you other chalk?
Thanks

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 03:47:05 PM »
Do you guys just put it over you other chalk?
Thanks
I wipe off the old stuff with a paper towel being careful not to get get any hand oils on anything. I think that is what you were asking. If the same kind then just put it over the top of the old stuff unless you feel the stuff on it is contaminated.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Charlie 51

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »
I agree with sir die ..red railroad chalk is good. I also got talked to David halloran he recommends or uses blue chalk thT he sales

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 09:04:29 PM »
Old red brick chalk , Halloran blue and i will mix little white .. depends on the call and the tone and sound your looking for in the gripping .. Rain chalk is good stuff also..

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 06:50:55 PM »
I have a huge box of red brick chalk that you cannot hardly get your hands on. I have used rain chalk and still have some , but personally I like the brick. To me it gives more friction in my experience.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
I have tried rain chalk, but prefer red brick chalk.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 02:49:05 PM »
I've been cleaning up my hunting stuff during this down time. I when through some stuff that I haven't been into for years and I found some old waterproofing powder made by Lohman. It was still in the package, lol, so I have no idea if it's any good or not.

Offline Jacobson

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 05:58:44 PM »
Im just going to put this out there. I have done  a lot of testing with all kinds of chalk. Scratch boxes and box calls of all kinds. I have something to say about chalk. There are myths wives tales and BS. Rain chalk is just not what they say it is. Compared to all other chalks that I have I would rate it last. What we are looking for in chalk is to create friction, and with all the testing and comparisions I have done, Rain chalk is waxy and very fine. Bottom line is the calls just don't sound as good with rain chalk. This is not a discussion I will engage in, it is simply advise from doing the work of testing. My personal favorite is Blue carpenters chalk. Good luck Hunting!!!