OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sighting in vortex venom

Started by ArkyRidgeRunna, March 15, 2020, 08:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkyRidgeRunna

Any tips sighting in vortex venom sight.. trying to shoot as few expensive shells as I can. If 1 click is 1 1/4" at 100 yards what does that make it at 30 yards or so?  ???

yelpaholic

i started at ten yards with dove loads blowing holes in the target got it close that way then backed up to 30 was real close

USMC0331

1/2 inch

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

USMC0331

Not 1/2 sorry.

RossAnderson

I shot a dove load at 15-20 yards and got it centered up. Then moved back to 40 yards and shot a turkey load and fine tuned it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Ross

USMC0331

1/8 but do as the others have mentioned.  Use the Dove load at 10 to 12 yards , fine tune then move out.

turkey_slayer

Shoot dove load at 15. Adjust sight.  Move to 40. Shoot.  If it needs adjustment put a dot in the center of pattern.  Hold gun as steady as possible and move the dot from original bullseye to the new dot.  Shoot again to verify.  Never takes me more than 3 shots

rdjustham

When i sighted mine in last year, I adjusted the heck out of it and the dot would not move.  It was close at 20 with cheap shells but 40 was off with turkey loads.  After some cussing, i ran the adjustments up, down, side to side back and forth from max to max.  then re sighted with cheap shells at 20 before finishing the last two expensive ones at forty.  Called vortex and talked to their tech who told me that they recommend running the adjustments prior to shooting to loosen everything up.  Havent had a problem with it since.

RossAnderson

Quote from: rdjustham on March 16, 2020, 01:28:06 PM
When i sighted mine in last year, I adjusted the heck out of it and the dot would not move.  It was close at 20 with cheap shells but 40 was off with turkey loads.  After some cussing, i ran the adjustments up, down, side to side back and forth from max to max.  then re sighted with cheap shells at 20 before finishing the last two expensive ones at forty.  Called vortex and talked to their tech who told me that they recommend running the adjustments prior to shooting to loosen everything up.  Havent had a problem with it since.
That's crazy, mine did the same thing. Ran it up and down all the way and it worked fine after that.

-Ross

USMC0331

Thanks for the heads up

rdjustham

Quote from: RossAnderson on March 16, 2020, 01:50:23 PM
Quote from: rdjustham on March 16, 2020, 01:28:06 PM
That's crazy, mine did the same thing. Ran it up and down all the way and it worked fine after that.

I was not a happy person on the phone with vortex, then, when the guy told me they suggest it and believes its actually in the manual to do it, i felt incredibly stupid.  That being said, i still havent looked to see if the manual says that.

RossAnderson

Hahaha. I didn't see it in the manual but I wasn't lookin either. I didn't even call them for some reason. Went to sight it in and it wasn't moving, just figured I'd run it all the way up and then down just to see if it moves and it started workin. Got it sighted in with no problems after that.

-Ross

rdjustham

Quote from: RossAnderson on March 16, 2020, 02:44:47 PM
Hahaha. I didn't see it in the manual but I wasn't lookin either. I didn't even call them for some reason. Went to sight it in and it wasn't moving, just figured I'd run it all the way up and then down just to see if it moves and it started workin. Got it sighted in with no problems after that.

I did the same thing.  The call afterwards was more to give them an ear full for the $40 box of shells.  Took a while to get my foot outta my mouth! lol

ArkyRidgeRunna

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 15, 2020, 08:50:33 PM
Shoot dove load at 15. Adjust sight.  Move to 40. Shoot.  If it needs adjustment put a dot in the center of pattern.  Hold gun as steady as possible and move the dot from original bullseye to the new dot.  Shoot again to verify.  Never takes me more than 3 shots

On a reflex sight dont you move the sight to where you want your pattern to hit? I guess this would work for that but maybe doesnt work in my brain!

Gobbler428

Think of it like this. POA = POI is what you want. If you know POI, after aiming at center of target, then move POA (Red Dot) to POI and you now have POA = POI. Shoot again at center of target and you should be good yo go.