OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: calling Tom  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Capt Hook

calling Tom
« on: March 15, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »
is there such a thing as to close .went out yesterday AM with my Quaker Boy Box call the Turkey came with in 4' of me lol t was Great thing I could almost touch him .Lol :turkey2:

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: calling Tom
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 02:56:19 AM »
Was your season open for turkey hunting , if not , you shouldn't have been calling to the birds away. All you were doing was educating the birds. You can make the birds call shy .

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 05:41:58 PM »
To answer your question, yes, you can get them too close.  If you hunt enough, birds will get in your lap regularly.  By the way, Greg is spot on with his comment.  If your season wasn't opened, you probably just educated that Gobbler.  When scouting, scout from a distance with binos and just listen for gobbling and find their travel routes.  Welcome to OG!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:49:25 AM »
X3....and welcome.  We all love to call 'em in and the temptation to do that prior to when you are actually going to be hunting is hard to resist.  BUT,...if you do that preseason calling long enough, you will eventually learn that the turkeys learn from those calling encounters.  Some would like to think that these big birds with the little brains are not capable of learning to avoid turkey calling.  They absolutely, most certainly, are....and do not for a second believe anybody that tells you differently!

Offline strum

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 10:14:36 AM »
 A friend took me to some public land a couple weeks ago .
 I knew where it was but never hunted it and he has always deer hunted it but not turkey.
 Any way as we were driving there he says . "Did you bring your calls?"
 I said "huh?"  He says "youre calls.. did you bring you calls so we can see if we can call one in?"
  I said " No way am I gonna go out there and teach them birds what I sound like"

Back to the subject. I had a similar situation last year . I would set up and the gobbler would gobble 20 -100 times on the roost then fly straight away. Didnt matter how or even if I called . after a few days I moved to a different spot hopping to get in his zone.
 he had been in the same tree for days untill this morning .
 sure nuff at dawn he started hammering his head off.
I had set up to be in between him and his path . but he fooled me . because he had moved I still was on the wrong side.
 He just flew away again. Check mate ..  I hate him