OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Scratch box...  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Here turkey turkey turkey

Scratch box...
« on: March 13, 2020, 07:23:51 PM »
I am not saying right now who made it. There is no need to try and knock them out of business. One week ago from today I had never touched a scratch box. Please critique. Thanks for listening.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:40:08 PM by Here turkey turkey turkey »
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Scratch box...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 11:07:57 PM »
Not bad at all, you are going to get better with time as with any instrument, if you put the time in.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 03:31:31 AM »
When I first started drenalin had a video that really helped me. I don’t know how but I bet you could do some kinda search n find it.
When I was getting comfortable w em Al from SS swore scratchers would be a go to type call. I still wasn’t buying it. One morning I forgot every striker I had in my vest in house. I used a scratcher as that’s all I had. Worked awesome n I called a bird right in no problem.
Nowadays I use them all the time. I love them calls. Try n find that instructional from drenalin. Imo concentrate initially on yelping and doing so w correct cadence and simple clucks.
Purrs are ok but lots of guys run them out too long imo on a scratcher.
Once you get good clucks, cutting is easy. Fly downs are relatively easy too as you progress. For a short time you’re doing good, keep at it

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
I do not know if this will help, but here is a list of different instructional videos that I have saved to help me learn various kinds of calls, included are a few on scratch boxes. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 11:32:50 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback. I will try to look up the video you bowguy and a I will go through that playlist sir-die-a lot.

I feel like my yelps have too much rasp or something, I have tried to get some of it out, sometimes it works and sometimes it don’t.
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 02:16:26 PM »
Middle of the striker less rasp and more toward the palm more rasp.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 03:47:44 PM »
Thanks Greg...

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 09:43:40 PM »
I am no master by any means but they are addictive. You can change the sound of the call just by a firmer grip or by squeezing it a little bit on the box .That will get rid of some of the rasp if that’s what you want. I don’t think you are doing bad at all. Kentucky headhunter did a little video a couple years ago that you may be able to find. I myself can’t use my thumb very well to rest my box on for my pivot point. I use my fore finger to rest it on. Do what feels comfortable and eventually you will get the sound you are wanting

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 11:14:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for listening, I have practiced some more but still am not happy, lol. Time should tell if I get any better or not.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 12:42:26 PM »
I'm not very good at explaining how to run calls in txt but to me it sounds like you are play too hesitate, you want smooth out the strokes and rotate at the wrist to pop the finish of your clucks and yelps.

I would almost describe it as a turn the keys in an ignition as you make your short sweep with the striker.

Scratch boxes have been very good to me, within 72hrs of getting my first one I called in two birds in two states with it and I haven't gone hunting without one in my vest ever since.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »
Ok, thanks a lot.

God job on calling in 2 birds in 2 states.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 08:34:42 PM »
If a box call is an automatic transmission then a scratchbox is an old five speed with a clutch.  Manual requires mastery and muscle memory.  Like trumpets they work if you take the time. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 08:54:33 PM »
I have practiced with a wingbone and do alright. The scratchbox is another thing, lol.

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 11:38:43 PM »
Some good info.