OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

O/U for turkeys?

Started by Beano38, March 09, 2020, 08:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beano38

I have an opportunity to buy a used Browning Citori 725 12 gauge for $900, with an aftermarket camo wrap that was well done.  Great price for a used Citori 725.  Since turkey hunting is aiming vs. pointing (like upland game & ducks), are there issues aiming an O/U since the barrel patterns converge at 35-40 yards?  I like the ability to use 2 different chokes with an O/U.  Thanks for your help.   

howl

Yes, the gun will hit high and low. If you use tungsten the difference will be greater. Since we shoot turkeys with their head up, the difference is usually not big enough to miss.

Some people use a spreader load in the second barrel to account for close range shots. Personally, my second barrel is the cleanup barrel. I actually have it choked tighter to reach out and correct a mistake on a bird that is departing the scene of the crime.

If possible, check the gun before buying at about 13 to 15 yards. It should hit in line vertically, with barrel no more than 4" high or low. If it more than that, then you know why the gun is cheap.

Greg Massey

I have 410 under / over and really like the gun.. Sumtoy built my chokes ...

1iagobblergetter

I always thought a O/O would be a great turkey gun.
I would probably buy one in 20g though if I had a choice. Mainly for being lighter to carry and due to all the new loads for the 20's.
A friend of mine that's 6'4 bought a 12g. O/O for pheasants and did a little trap shooting before hand and said he wished he'd bought a 20g. due to the recoil??? Never have owned or shot one before so I'm not sure if he's exaggerating or not. One thing about your only shooting a shell or 2 at Turkey's.

eggshell

I have turkey hunted with mine early season and I like it. I use a modified tube for first shot and a full for back up. Never got to the back up with it.

Marc

I turkey hunted with a Browning Citori O/U for years...  Bottom choke more open for closer shots (generally a modified choke good out to 30 yards) & top choke tighter (extra-full turkey choke) if you want to stretch things out.

I have never in my turkey hunting career had the opportunity to shoot three shells....  I doubt there are very many birds killed on that third shot by many hunters.  Generally if you hear three shots fired, that is a bird that got away.

But, an O/U is a heavier gun, and it will recoil more than a semi-auto (but less than most pump-action guns that are lighter in weight).

Currently I hunt with a semi-auto (my duck hunting gun)...  It is lighter and kicks less, and I do not worry about breaking brush with it.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

hunter85

I just went the o/u game with a Stevens 20ga that it between 6-6.5 lbs loaded ready to hunt using a .555 and .590 constructions shooting federal #9 tss with 10/20 numbers of 254/178 at 40 and 384/70 at 20 with the bottom barrel hitting spot on at 20 and the top is a touch low and right probably 2-3 inches

Dtrkyman

I chickened out on my last gun purchase, wanted a sxs 20 but was worried about the barrels shooting different so I went with an auto.

When a get the bug for another gun I will buy a sxs and if it isn't good as far as poa/poi I will just use it for doves!

AC 870

I've tried to set up 2 and gave up on both.
Point of aim/point of impact my issue.

tlh2865

I know browning makes a synergy 12 gauge 3.5 O/U specifically designed for turkeys that I would like to try out but wouldn't pay the over two grand for one they ask

Marc

Quote from: AC 870 on March 15, 2020, 12:06:01 PM

I've tried to set up 2 and gave up on both.
Point of aim/point of impact my issue.
Out of curiosity, what make were the guns?  I have never faced that issue with my Brownings or my Winchester 101.  Admittedly, the tightest choke I shot at that time was a Briley at .40 constriction.  But I patterned with the tight choke in both barrels to make sure the gun was shooting where I wanted it to.

As another side note, although I had the top barrel choked tighter, I never did NOT kill a bird with the more open choke, and to my recollection, I only opted to shoot the tighter choke on one occasion (in which I still killed the bird).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.