OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: One of my earliest memories  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Braunschweiger

One of my earliest memories
« on: March 12, 2020, 04:41:49 PM »
Long, long ago... my uncle was the one who always took me turkey hunting. My dad is way more into deer hunting.

I'll never forget when I was about 7-8 years old and I went hunting with my uncle. He had I believe a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. 3.5" mags were the norm and I believe it was around a 20" barrel with compensating choke.

As I've got my back against a cedar tree along a fence row... he is laid out in front of me pointed toward a woodline down the hill. We had roosted some birds below and figured we had a good setup. After hearing a few good gobbles in response to his mouth call... we knew we may have a bird on the way. Shortly thereafter, he notices in the corner of his eye, a good Tom walking over the terrace directly behind me and the cedar tree.

Naturally, the words "DO NOT MOVE" are muttered and he slowly turns and gets into position using myself and the tree as cover. Next, he does the unthinkable. my left shoulder is now his rest to make the shot.

I thought I was dead.

Boom. Turkey is down and my left ear has never been the same since.

TRUE STORY and I'll never forget it.

Offline justin.arps

Re: One of my earliest memories
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 03:46:33 PM »
Oh wow lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 05:53:43 PM »
WOW! How could you forget something like that.

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 12:19:27 AM »
    I know it's an old post but this is horrible what this selfish, idiot did to his nephew. I had a similar but less egregious thing happen to me in a duck blind.
     I permently lost some of the hearing in my left ear because someone swung too far to his right and blasted me right in the ear with the gun's receiver. But that was an accident.
      What this guy did is something along the line of depraved indifference and battery of a child. He shouldn't have access to a firearms.

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14