OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Watkins trumpet?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline rdlewis77

Watkins trumpet?
« on: March 11, 2020, 10:34:17 PM »
Does Marlin Watkins still make trumpets?  I see stuff about his boxes all over the place, but I never see much about his trumpets.  Just looking for some info on them.
Thanks for any information.

-Ray

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
Re: Watkins trumpet?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 11:22:11 PM »
Yes as of last year he still was... Watkins adjustable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 06:46:23 AM »
Yes, Marlin makes a nice, easy to run trumpet.

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 08:29:12 AM »
He just sold one the other day on ebay. It went for almost $700. He doesn't keep a list anymore for the box calls. In the description on the trumpet on ebay he wrote that he was selling it on ebay so everyone would have a chance to buy it.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 04:52:07 PM »
He once told me they were his nemesis.  He makes only a few every year I think.  I was able to get one at Unicoi a few years ago.  Unbelievable trumpet!  Was shocked to see how high the one on ebay fetched.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »
i was on his list for awhile.  think i got 2 or 3 boxes before he said something about the trumpet list.  its nice.  i like the adjustable and it has a different sorta triangular shaped mouthpiece.

Offline 2nd 100

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 10:50:19 PM »
Mr Marlin only builds 8 to 10 trumpets a year , all are adjustable these days . He has told me numerous times that a box call is a challenge to get what you want out of a piece of wood and that Trumpets are a mechanical deal , make the dimensions the same and you always turn out a good trumpet , so in his description they are not about skill , just repeating measurements with tight tolerances. I am sure this is after you decide which measurements work best for you and this is where the learning curve is !
Then we have to learn a musical instrument to get the sounds we want out of one .

Offline chefrific

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
Picked this Watkins up back in December from another member. Snakewood and Blackwood. Both a wing bone and I’m guessing delrin mouthpiece.  It’s a cool little “trumpet”.
Adjusting the stem definitely changes the tone, but personally I prefer just a good traditional wood trumpet.  This thing is a little gadgety to me. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:07:08 AM by chefrific »

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 12:58:01 PM »
Picked this Watkins up back in December from another member. Snakewood and Blackwood. Both a wing bone and I’m guessing delrin mouthpiece.  It’s a cool little “trumpet”.
Adjusting the stem definitely changes the tone, but personally I prefer just a good traditional wood trumpet.  This thing is a little gadgety to me. 

Those are really nice. Lot of great history in those trumpets.