OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835 Pattern 45 yards

Started by rakkin6, March 18, 2020, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Doesn't matter what anyone's personal beliefs are, we all have the right but it's the rules of the forum nothing else to discuss

RiverRoost

Quote from: KentuckyLB on March 25, 2020, 08:09:06 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 24, 2020, 04:47:35 PM
Quote from: KentuckyLB on March 24, 2020, 03:17:02 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 19, 2020, 02:23:42 PM
We are supposed to limit talk to 40 yards. I know it's only paper and wouldn't harm anything but to my understanding 40 yard anything is max

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Yeah if he`s 41 please don't shoot them 5`s will not kill him. :icon_thumright:

It's someone else's forum n he prefers we limit talk to 40. A man should respect that. I for one think he's on the right track w his thinking. You should read the rules about it. You might learn something about the way our words n thoughts are seen by others be it brothers or enemies.

Yeah I understand its someone else`s forum , but your beliefs and others with this 40 yard stuff is not accurate or should be taken as 40 yards is the maximum turkeys should be killed. No I am not condoning shooting turkeys at long range , but with todays shells and chokes 40 yards is obsolete and should not stop someone from harvesting a gobbler or they're first turkey. I have mentoring young turkey hunters for a long time this is my 35th season keep letting them walk when they are past 40 ...more for us  :icon_thumright:

I'm with you on this. 40 years ago or back in the days of paper shells and such I feel certain that people thought 40 yards was too far to kill a bird but as technology advanced and shells and internal dynamics of guns got better 40 yards started to look a lot better at "ethical" range. I'm not condoning shooting past 40 but if one comes out past 40 and I've patterned my gun past 40 and know my affective range of my gun then I say it's up to the shooter. I dig this site and think it's great, a lot of great info and great people willing to help you out but I don't think limiting the talk here is going to curve the shooting distance gap. I'd say it's our duty as dedicated turkey hunters and conservationists of the game to talk and educate newcomers to know your equipment, don't just rely on what your buddy tells you is what you need. We need to teach newcomers how to learn their way around equipment and what causes what and what means what and make their own setups they like

mmorgan9812

Rakkin what size Indian Creek?

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Bowguy

RiverRoost it's not our forum. We have an obligation to the forum owner to follow his rules. Not make your own cause we think we need to. I will add it's our obligation to teach sporting behavior. After all this is sport hunting it's supposed to be sporting.
Shooting anything certain ways will never be sporting. Long distance is one not because of pattern density and could be unethical because of energy variables. There's lots of things that add or detract from that. We will have a limit. How do you know exactly where that is?? You don't. Add as well the avg person doesn't know for sure distances and we've all either heard of a shot taken by others or one taken by us that was too long. We need to consider that and err on the safe side. New folks tend to push things. Take Hail Mary shots, hope they get lucky. We need to impress the game is too valuable for that.
Shannon didn't say you can't do what you want. He said don't talk about it.

Tom007

In 1980 when I started turkey hunting, Knight & Hale had a cassette tape for beginners. It went over how to use a mouth call (put in your mouth, bent to conform to the roof, say the word chalk). All the sudden, a yelp came out. They also went over ethical shooting range, 25 yards. My old 1100 3 inch mag Remington with a fixed full choke and Duck Pheasant high brass #4's was my baby. 2 beads, I used it for years, shot turkeys. I play a lot of golf, so yardage judgement comes easy. The guns now a days with these new shells and chokes can reach out and touch someone. Optics have centered our patterns, 12 gauges that are as lethal as 10 gauges has changed the look of our sport. I sight all my guns in at 25 yards and occasionally pattern at 30, 35. I feel this is my ethical Max, even though I see peppered paper at longer distances. Turkey hunting always hit me as an up close and personal battle with these wilderness kings. When they strut and gobble inside 30 yards, the ground shakes like an LA earthquake. I will never tell anyone how far is too far, but in my world close is not close enough. Yes, I have let a lot of killable birds walk, only to hope the following season their gobble shakes my world before I pulled the trigger, and slung him over my shoulder. Great forum, great family. I am proud to be a part of it. Thank you.
"Solo hunter"

Eddie12

Great pattern OP. My old Mossberg 500 patterns really well with LB's too. It is what it is I guess but it sucks that your thread turned into a 40 yard rule thread...gotta love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stoeger M3000

rakkin6

It is a .675 constriction

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER