OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 12 ga 3in 1 3/4 oz #5 lb

Started by Old Timer, March 09, 2020, 06:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

Missouri hunter

Pretty tight. I got that same load to pattern in the 140s and 150s with a pure gold .670. The last box I got though was shooting terrible so I'm back to double xx high velocity for now. Only shooting in the 90s but I'll trust it more than the long beards.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Old Timer

This is a .683. What choke to open up a little? Jelly Head? Your thoughts

trkehunr93

Old Timer

Happy

Ol' timer, I shoot one of the old star dot .676 choke tubes out off my 835 with longbeard 3.5", 2oz. Loads of #5 shot. My 20 yard pattern is more like a volleyball size at 20 yards and if memory serves me right it's around 190ish in a 10" circle at 40. For some reason my pattern isn't as tight as most and I am good with it. Still plenty good at 40 and a little wiggle room.
My observations so far are leading me to believe a tighter choke fractures the resin more and opens the pattern slightly.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: Happy on March 22, 2020, 08:55:20 PM
Ol' timer, I shoot one of the old star dot .676 choke tubes out off my 835 with longbeard 3.5", 2oz. Loads of #5 shot. My 20 yard pattern is more like a volleyball size at 20 yards and if memory serves me right it's around 190ish in a 10" circle at 40. For some reason my pattern isn't as tight as most and I am good with it. Still plenty good at 40 and a little wiggle room.
My observations so far are leading me to believe a tighter choke fractures the resin more and opens the pattern slightly.
Happy I've noticed the same observation between my Star Dot .676  and my Carlson Longbeard .683 choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on March 22, 2020, 09:33:20 PM
Quote from: Happy on March 22, 2020, 08:55:20 PM
Happy I've noticed the same observation between my Star Dot .676  and my Carlson Longbeard .683 choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know I ain't the only one with that theory.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club