turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sight for a kid

Started by nativeks, March 09, 2020, 01:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativeks

My son is seven and has been begging to shoot a turkey after tagging along the last 3 years. We are practicing, but I think I would like to put a red dot on hit Franchi Affinity. Anybody have a recommendation?

Brwndg

Red dot. Nothing simpler. Put the dot on the wattles and squeeze the trigger
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

USMC0331

Red dot would be perfect. Hope he gets a big tom as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

nativeks

Dumb question. How do you guys go about attaching it? This will be his do everything gun so I don't want a permanently mounted red dot on it.

USMC0331

That will be tuff. Different ammo , different chokes for different game will make that very challenging.  Wish I had a better answer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

I bought my Son a youth 20g. and after installing a Burris Fastfire helped him shoot night and day better. He shoots right handed and is left eye dominant so he had a heck of a time before going this route.
I'd let your son have a turkey gun and another for whatever else,but my 15 year old has more guns than most grown men probably do.

badwolf

If the receiver isn't drilled and tapped,  there are ones that clamp on a ventilated rib

CALLM2U

I would drill and tap the receiver (if it isn't already) and then when you need to change seasons, remove the red dot and place the screws back in the receiver. They should fit flush and not cause any problems.

You're going to want to shoot it every year before season anyway.  The POI shouldn't move much if any by taking it off and putting it back on. 

rdjustham

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on March 10, 2020, 12:07:50 AM
my 15 year old has more guns than most grown men probably do.

I tell my ten year old the same thing!