OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Handled vs Non Handled Hen Box

Started by gdc23, March 14, 2020, 12:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdc23

I prefer the looks of the non handled hen box but am wondering if the sound quality is any different having your hand directly holding the box. Also does not having the handle make it any more difficult to play ? Any info is appreciated.
Thank you
gdc

Charlie 51

Glad you posted this..I was kinda thinking the same question

Greg Massey

No , it's doesn't make a difference , what does make a difference is in who you choose in making or buying hen box from. With hen box your dealing with a deeper sound chamber and some build more than one style which are longer in length or shorter in length.  Some don't build as wide of a sound chamber, this makes a difference in how it's plays and the rolling of the lid for more hen sounds. It's a learning curve in playing one but once you master the hen box handle or non handle it's hard to put them down.  It's all in what combo your wanting and the sound and tone your looking for from the builder. The biggest learning curve is learning the rolling of the lid for your different hen's in the box.  In my opinion the narrow sound chamber of the box , plays more like a cost style box. I'm sure other's will give opinions also..

HookedonHooks

The only hen boxes I have are Matt Fulkerson's and as Greg said, with maker they will vary moreso than other types of calls. Therefore my opinions only reflect on Matt's work.

I personally think the non-handled hen boxes are a little more forgiving and play a little easier than the handled boxes. I know some say there's no difference, but for me, in the particular combos I had, my two non handled played with ease over the two handled that took longer to get comfortable with. Once you understand the basics of running one, you can run any to some degree, but for me the comfortability was moreso in the non-handled and played easier.

sixbird

Hen boxes (handled) and Turpin style (nonhandled) are different calls and generally run and sound slightly different.
They'll also sound different from different call makers and, of course, different woods.
Some will lean toward a cost style sound and some will have a more mature/hen box sound. I like both...
Regarding ease of running them, that's more a function of the maker.
Some are easier to run but have somewhat less range than others. Others may be slightly more difficult to run but you can get a little more out of them.
I like Richard Hudson, Mike Lapp, Doug Morgan and Ed Jenkins, all for different reasons.
There are others that make good hen boxes and Turpin style boxes, but I don't have enough experience with them to make an educated comment.
A good hen box/Turpin has a unique sound that lots of turkeys haven't heard and respond to really well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdc23

Appreciate all the responses and welcome any additional comments, Its good to hear that the Turpin style is easier or at least no more difficult to play.

3bailey3

I have four handled boxes from Matt, Hudson and just got one from the SS guys. the cost style of box is a side to method, were as a hen box is down with a turn up at the end of the yelp. As someone mentions hen boxes have something just a little different.