OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: A Truly Exciting Hunt in NC Kansas  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Dermott

A Truly Exciting Hunt in NC Kansas
« on: March 05, 2020, 08:48:33 PM »
 :turkey:
I have had several memorable hunts that I still recall often but this story one of my favorites. Although I prefer to hunt with a friend, my buddy started going on pay hunts in Oklahoma & Iowa. I decided to hunt NC Kansas in a county where we had success in the past. The first day I only saw 1 Jake & a few hens. The next morning I hunted for 6 hours and it was slow again. I did find a roost area and decided to set up near it for the afternoon although I had not heard or seen any come from the roost the day before.

Late afternoon I saw 3-4 turkeys crossing a large field about 200 yards away coming to the wood line where I was set up with an aggressive looking Jake & a Avian X hen decoy about 20 yards in the field. In a few minutes 15-20 hens & several gobblers were about 200 yards out in the field 150-200 yards to be right. I yelped & clucked a few times to get their attention and when they got near the wood line & saw my decoys they turned my way.  I positioned my shotgun, called lightly & waited for them and 9 gobblers were out front. At about 70 yards all 9 Toms ran full speed and attacked the jake decoy & knocked over the hen decoy down. I could not determine which had best beard so finally aimed at one that had a huge neck & beard. When I fired 2 big gobblers went down & I was tagged out.

Of course I called my buddy that was on the pay hunt in Oklahoma!  :funnyturkey:

Offline Dermott

Re: A Truly Exciting Hunt in NC Kansas
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 08:57:07 PM »
It is about a 9 1/2 hours drive from my home in Bentonville, Arkansas to that farm but I would gladly drive up except it has been leased by someone. ????