OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Federal TSS Throwdown  (Read 4751 times)

Offline ssramage

Federal TSS Throwdown
« on: March 08, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »
I've been shooting the old Heavyweight 7s for a long time. I had a stockpile, but noticed I was down to the last box or two this season so I thought I'd test some new things so I didn't get caught mid-season without tested ammo.

All shots were taken at a ranged 40yds, barrel cleaned each time and allowed to cool in between. Outside temp was high 60s. Gun is a reworked NEF 20 gauge with a Colonial Arms XFull .570 choke.

Loads tested were Federal TSS 1.5oz #7s, 1.5oz #9s, and 1-5/8oz 8x10 blends. Results are below for 10" results and in the pattern pics. Overall, I was very impressed with the blends. That is a SOLID 20 gauge load. The 9s were a little surprising in the 10" but had a nice, even 20" pattern.

#7s: 146
#9s: 136
Blend: 192

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Federal TSS Throwdown
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
looking at the patterns it don't look like 9's not only the 10' but whole paper.
Check your empty hulls for markings? Or federal marked or loaded them wrong.
You should expect around 200 in the 10 I would think.

Offline ssramage

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »
looking at the patterns it don't look like 9's not only the 10' but whole paper.
Check your empty hulls for markings? Or federal marked or loaded them wrong.
You should expect around 200 in the 10 I would think.

Hull was marked as a 9. You can see that the #9 pattern has a much larger spread than the #7 pattern. I don’t think it was marked wrong, I just shoot an open choke.

Offline WylieCoyote

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 06:55:17 PM »
I've been shooting the old Heavyweight 7s for a long time. I had a stockpile, but noticed I was down to the last box or two this season so I thought I'd test some new things so I didn't get caught mid-season without tested ammo.

All shots were taken at a ranged 40yds, barrel cleaned each time and allowed to cool in between. Outside temp was high 60s. Gun is a reworked NEF 20 gauge with a Colonial Arms XFull .570 choke.

Loads tested were Federal TSS 1.5oz #7s, 1.5oz #9s, and 1-5/8oz 8x10 blends. Results are below for 10" results and in the pattern pics. Overall, I was very impressed with the blends. That is a SOLID 20 gauge load. The 9s were a little surprising in the 10" but had a nice, even 20" pattern.

#7s: 146
#9s: 136
Blend: 192
I'm looking for some of those #7 hevi weights, I can't find anything but 4's in the local stores. You know where to get ahold of anymore?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Offline Reddog1966

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 07:37:32 PM »
Thanks for posting.  The blend looks pretty good to me. 

Online Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »
That’s the lowest count #9 patter I have seen, .570 is plenty tight!

Blend pattern is nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MS!48

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »
I'm also still shooting the federal heavyweight 7's. Although I'm down to my last 4 since taking a gobbler yesterday morning. Load averages around 180 in a 10" circle at 40 yards with 870 youth and carlson 575 choke. I'll be trying out the federal TSS 9's next week most likely. Hopefully they shoot good, I'm little sad my stock of heavyweight 7's is almost out though. That has been a solid combo for me last several years.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline WylieCoyote

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 06:08:31 PM »
I'm also still shooting the federal heavyweight 7's. Although I'm down to my last 4 since taking a gobbler yesterday morning. Load averages around 180 in a 10" circle at 40 yards with 870 youth and carlson 575 choke. I'll be trying out the federal TSS 9's next week most likely. Hopefully they shoot good, I'm little sad my stock of heavyweight 7's is almost out though. That has been a solid combo for me last several years.

I alternate between TSS and Hevy weight when loading my gun. TSS in the chamber backed up by a heavy weight #7. Keeps from burning one or the other up so fast

Offline MS!48

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 07:25:41 PM »

I alternate between TSS and Hevy weight when loading my gun. TSS in the chamber backed up by a heavy weight #7. Keeps from burning one or the other up so fast

That's a good idea. I was hoping the 9's shot pretty close to the heavyweight 7's. Has that been the case for your setup?

Offline WylieCoyote

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 07:51:18 PM »

That's a good idea. I was hoping the 9's shot pretty close to the heavyweight 7's. Has that been the case for your setup?

Between me my buddy and his son we haven't had any issues.
I have 3 original hevi-shot 7s left so I just bought some Boss Tom 7s to replace them and back up the hand loads.

Offline DBell

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 05:23:12 PM »

I have 3 original hevi-shot 7s left so I just bought some Boss Tom 7s to replace them and back up the hand loads.

I had horrible results with boss last year when I tested out their original 20 gauge boss tom #6 loads. I made a thread on it. I spoke with the owner and he tried to blame it on a dirty firing pin. I sent him a video of how clean and oil free the area was and he just stopped responding. This was after failures in two separate boxes. I still have 3 boxes sitting in the safe that I won’t ever bring into the field

Offline WylieCoyote

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 01:02:33 AM »

I had horrible results with boss last year when I tested out their original 20 gauge boss tom #6 loads. I made a thread on it. I spoke with the owner and he tried to blame it on a dirty firing pin. I sent him a video of how clean and oil free the area was and he just stopped responding. This was after failures in two separate boxes. I still have 3 boxes sitting in the safe that I won’t ever bring into the field

Yikes! I found more federal HW7 and bought them. Haven't tried the boss Tom's still. Those HW scratched one off at 52yards Saturday

Offline DBell

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 06:59:03 AM »
Give them a thorough test. Hopefully they fixed the issue anyway. But I was pissed. Especially when the owner asked me to take time out of my day to call him on the phone, only to put the blame on my firing pin having oil on it. I should have known better, those guys are duck hunters, they don’t even hunt turkey.