turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge semi auto turkey gun dilemma.

Started by Rocko, March 07, 2020, 11:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocko

I've been reading but can't decide. Hopefully you boys can help me narrow it down. Here's what I'm wanting. A 20 gauge semi, that is light. And the issue is optics. The Remington's are too heavy, the tristar shave a 3/8 rail and with the adapter to run a red dot, it's too high. The Franchi Affinity is what I really want to run, but it's not drilled and tapped. I don't want to mess with trying to find a smith, cause there's none local to have it drilled and tapped. Are there any quality options out there? I would like a 26" barrel so I can run it for ducks and doves also. And I'd prefer bottomland camp but not a deal breaker. Want it light as possible, and have to be able to run optics. With all that in mind, what's the best choice?

Walkerhuntfish

The affinity is drilled and tapped. I love mine. Working on turkey chokes now but it was great packing squirrel hunting and on a few rabbit hunts.

Rocko

So the new one is? I know Dave Owens had his tapped for a 336 base. That was my big hold up. Been looking online and can't find any pics of the top of the receiver

Walkerhuntfish

My dad and my buddy both bought new guns last year and they are both drilled and tapped also so I'm guess franchi has added this in last couple years.

On another note my only hang up on these guns was the issue I witnessed with them not cycling 3" Federals properly. But both of them bought guns new and went straight to trying turkey loads. I shot mine probably 100 plus times prior to trying the federal tss. It cycled fine. Might just need a lil breaking in.

Spurs Up

The newer models (Affinity 3) have been out for a few years now and are drilled and tapped.  However, they don't match up with the 336 base. You can have the 336 base modified or purchase a custom mount from Sumtoy.

I've never shot Federal 3" TSS shells. That said, I don't think it's a matter of break-in of the inertia recoil spring, but a matter of overall shell length. Longer shells-as rolled crimped 3" ones tend to be—can present challenges when used as following shells. No issue whatsoever with firing and ejection. 2-3/4" shells cycle and follow just fine...

Prohunter3509

Sumtoy base and choke is what I would say I have bot
And they are the cats meow
And super nice to deal with
And the base sets real low

Walkerhuntfish

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on March 08, 2020, 08:24:12 PM
Sumtoy base and choke is what I would say I have bot
And they are the cats meow
And super nice to deal with
And the base sets real low

Sumtoy base for sure. I mounted the one my dad got with the vortex venom. It's all just as Prohunter says.

FL-Boss

Mossberg SA-20.  If you want to spend a little more - Weatherby SA-459. These are both out of box turkey killer.  Already drilled and tapped... throw on a red dot, cheap Carlson choke and go hunt.

cutt down

Quote from: Spurs Up on March 08, 2020, 07:01:05 PM
The newer models (Affinity 3) have been out for a few years now and are drilled and tapped.  However, they don't match up with the 336 base. You can have the 336 base modified or purchase a custom mount from Sumtoy.

I've never shot Federal 3" TSS shells. That said, I don't think it's a matter of break-in of the inertia recoil spring, but a matter of overall shell length. Longer shells-as rolled crimped 3" ones tend to be—can present challenges when used as following shells. No issue whatsoever with firing and ejection. 2-3/4" shells cycle and follow just fine...
I'm almost positive the weaver 93A base fits the factory drilled holes in the affinity 3. Someone might correct me but it looked as though it would line up.

Tuffonturkeys

Shoebuck

Benelli M2 with Sumtoy base and a fast fire 3

Team Stuckem

I have a Affinity 3 with an IC .562. This combo is an absolute shooter with handload 9's or the Federal 7x9 blend. The weaver 93A will line directly up with the holes on an Affinity. However, the mounting screws that come with the base are a touch to long for the front two holes. You will either have to cut them down just a hair or order some 8x40 mounting screws that are about 1/8 inch shorter. You can get two 93a bases off amazon for around $13.