OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO SHOOT A TURKEY WITH 50 CAL. POWERBELT BULLET??  (Read 18723 times)

Offline roundbaby

:welcomeOG:I HAVE A CVA 50 CAL. INLINE MUZZLELOADER AND I HAD A QUESTION FOR THE OLD AND THE NEW PRIMITIVE WEAPONS FOR SHOT PLACEMENT AND POWERBELT TYPE AMMO. DOWN HERE IN GA, YOU CAN USE A PRIMITIVE WEAPON OF ANY TYPE TO HUNT MOST GAME. I USE THE CVA 50 CAL. HOLLOW POINT POWERBELT BULLETS TO HUNT WITH IN THE PAST FEW YEARS. MY FIRST TURKEY I KILLED WAS AT LEAST 75 YARDS AND HIT HIM IN THE FACE --LUCKY SHOT ALTHOUGH.  THIS YEAR I'M GOING TO THE AERO-TIP WHICH ACCORDING TO THE POWERBELT COMPANY WOULD INCREASE MY ACCURACY AND KILLING POWER. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON SABOT TYPES OR BULLET WEIGHTS THAT MIGHT IMPROVE THE KILLING CURVE?? ALSO ON A BIG GOBBLER WHERE DO YOU THINK I SHOULD AIM FOR BEST KNOCKDOWN KILL ON THE TURKEYS BODY. I'VE HEARD WHERE THE WING BUTT JOINS THE BODY CAVITY IS A VITAL AIMING TARGET. ANYONE WITH SIMILIAR PROBLEMS WHAT DO YOU THINK. BY THE WAY I USE 2 PYRODEX 50 GRN. PELLETS FOR MY POWDER AND CAN USE A SCOPE ON GUN--I KNOW ITS NOT TRADITION, BUT IT TASTES REAL GOOD!!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:45:28 PM by roundbaby »

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
I'm speechless (almost).  Three unrecoverable birds in a season should tell you that this isn't working out.  Not really too many guys reading this new muzzleloader section is there.  Move this to the general forum and you'll get plenty of "replies".  I hope I didn't get "trolled".

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
Just curious but where is it legal to shoot a turkey with a muzzleloader rifle?? Must be Texas..

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Still plenty of rifle States around.  It is legal down here in Florida but only on private land.  Florida finally agreed that rifles, turkeys and public land is a dangerous combo.  I once considered using a squirrel mzl (a 25 yard weapon for me) on an area that is primitive weapons only but decided to get a TK2000 instead.  This isn't the first time that I read that Georgia has some sort of mzl exception.  Might be from this same poster.  I'll check my archives.  

Not the same guy but it was Georgia that he said has an any mzl exception.  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:59:02 PM by joey46 »

Offline SR1

This post is the reason they should not allow anything like it in any states.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
I'm speechless (almost).  Three unrecoverable birds in a season should tell you that this isn't working out.  Not really too many guys reading this new muzzleloader section is there.  Move this to the general forum and you'll get plenty of "replies".  I hope I didn't get "trolled".

First off...could not agree more about losing 3 birds and not learning from the FIRST one that something is not working!!  That is the perfect definition of slob hunting at its finest.  2nd...From reading his/her other "posts"(Wow my head hurts now after doin that!), I hate to say this but...I think you just got TROLLED!   Posts read like a spammer and English is a second language!   :bike2:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline tyelper

Re: WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO SHOOT A TURKEY WITH 50 CAL. POWERBELT BULLET??
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 12:57:13 AM »
KINDA like squirrel hunting with a 338 win mag dont ya think,,,,

Offline bustinbirds

I can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot a turkey with a ML. It doesn't make any sense legal or not! My suggestion to you is to put it down and get you a shotgun and practice your turkey calling!
Lifelong member of The Tenth Legion

Offline bustinbirds

Sorry, rifled ML. shotgun ml is fine
Lifelong member of The Tenth Legion

Offline mnbirdbuster

This is kind of an odd subject really :TrainWreck1: Im a die hard muzzleloader shooter and do alot of my hunting with them in one form or another! It may be my double barrel 12ga for upland or small game, maybe grouse up north, deer with my inline or maybe one of my many traditional caplocks! And starting this year...turkey with my Knight TK 2000 :z-guntootsmiley: I have friends who in certain areas, can and do actually shoot turkeys with their muzzleloaders with roundballs, actually cutting their powder charge down about 30% from their deer charge when targeting turkeys! If a roundball can kill a turkey so can any modern projectile even the widely despised PowerBelt! With a single projectile, a turkey suddenly has a small vital zone, id do a little research and look at where bowhunters shoot turkeys in various angles, and aim there or scrap the rifle all together and take the shotgun :deadhorse:

Offline roundbaby

Just curious but where is it legal to shoot a turkey with a muzzleloader rifle?? Must be Texas..
IN GEORGIA YOU ARE  ALLOWED TO HUNT WITH PRIMITIVE WEPONS. IT'S SAD THAT SO MANY TURKEY HUNTERS ARE SO JUDGEMENTAL ABOUT MY WEAPON OF CHOICE. 50 CAL. INLINE MUZZLELOADER. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT PLACEMENT OF BULLET IS BEST--SIMPLE AS THAT. IT'S BAD WHEN CERTIN TURKEY HUNTERS DON'T LIKE A NEW ETHICAL WY OF HUNTING TURKEYS. ITS HARDER TO KILL WITH 50 CAL. INLINE THAN SHOTGUN BECAUSE I'VE DONE BOTH. STUPID PEOPLE ALWAYS HUNT THE BAD THINGS TO SAY, JUST LIKE CROSSBOWS AND COMPOUND BOWS ARE NOT EQUAL. NEWSFLASH CROSSBOWS CAME FIRST IN THE MEDEIVAL DAYS. DANIEL BOONE ABOUT EVERY ANIMAL CRAWLING WITH ROUNDBALLS. YOU GUYS TURN OFF NEW HUNTERS TO THE SPORT WITH JUST COMMENTS LIKE TROLLING --WHATEVER THAT IS. I DON'T GO TURKEY HUNTIN MUCH AND SHOTGUN COST TOO MUCH!!! HEY WE ON THE SAME TEAM I THOUGHT

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
I'd say you don't go turkey hunting ever. BUT here's some helpful info. so perhaps you'll stop wasting birds: First, if you get some loose power and back that powder charge down you'll gain accuracy. You need very good accuracy to put the bullet where it needs to go on as small a target as is required to cleaning take a turkey. Here's a pic that shows what you need to target:

You need to take out the wings or legs. Just hitting the vitals won't anchor the bird.

Now, for everyone else, I would like to point out that if you back off the charges to between forty and fifty grains you get a very soft shooting turkey gun that is limited to the ranges we normally shoot turkeys. That sounds great until you take one to the woods and realize all the twigs and leaves you could just shoot through with a shotgun have to be shot around with a rifle. I took mine exactly once before I went back to the shotgun.

Offline roundbaby

THANK GOD FOR THE GEORGIA BOYS AND EVEN TEXAS--A MAN ASKS A SIMPLE QUESTION WHERE TO SHOOT A TURKEY WITH A INLINE MUZZLELOADER AND DANIEL BOONE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW TOO.  I KILLED A BIG GOBBLER TODAY AND GOT SHOOK UP WORSE THAN DEER HUNTING FOR SURE. TRY RELOADING A MUZZLELOADER WHEN TURKEYS ARE STILL AROUND. I REALLYLOVE THE 50 CAL INLINE WITH 295 GRN POWERBELT BULLETS AND GIVES GOOD KNOCKDOWN POWER.
   ANOTHER GOOD THING ABOUT USING A MUZZLELOADER IS IF A COYOTE COMES BY THAT IS A BONUS. I HEARD OF ALL THESE PERFECT KNOWITALL SHOTGUN HUNTERS HAVING TO LET A COYOTE GO BECAUSE OF OUT OF RANGE EXCUSES-NO MORE. I THINK THE FIRST TURKEY HUNTERS USED MUZZLE LOADERS AS A MATTER OF FACT- ITS WHY ITS CALLED PRIMITIVE. I THINK SHOTGUNS WITH SCOPES AND NEW FULL CHOKES OR HOLDING 10 SHELLS IS STUPID IF YOU LISTEN TO THE REAL TROLLS HERE. I'M OPEN FOR ANYTHING LEGAL AND DON'T LIKE CALIFORNIA TYPE RULES. HAVE FUN LIKE I DID TODAY AND WE'RE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM--CRITISIZERS ALWAYS HELPS THE ANIMAL ACTIVIST AND MUZZLELOADERS SURE A'INT NO RIFLE- IT'S PRIMITIVE MAN
[/quote]

Offline leaf shaker

dude I got the same thing(cva and powerbelts) would suggest just shoot them in the head square on or just behind the eye. wouldn't shoot to much past 50 yards but otherwise go for it and have fun :z-guntootsmiley: