OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Push pin Protection  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Push pin Protection
« on: March 07, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »
After searching for something to protect push pin calls in our vests, I decided to take a run at making my own. I took a gun sock, cut it down a bit longer than my calls, and had the bottom sewn shut. Added a 2020 Old Gobbler patch, works great. Adequate protection without bulk. Will test it soon. Be safe.... :turkey2:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:36:53 PM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline treein dixie

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Push pin Protection
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 09:19:01 PM »
After searching for something to protect push pin calls in our vests, I decided to take a run at making my own. I took a gun sock, cut it down a bit longer than my calls, and had the bottom sewn shut. Added a 2020 Old Gobbler patch, works great. Adequate protection without bulk. Will test it soon. Be safe.... :turkey2:

Hope it works but those pens seem fragile to me as well!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 09:24:30 PM »
Yes, have to be careful. But the sock is thick, keeps it pretty protected. I plan on having in hand most of the time.... thanks be safe.......
“Solo hunter”

Offline Charlie 51

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 01:40:52 AM »
Very impressive..hope it works for you

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 07:44:27 AM »
Thanks. The gun sock is heavy material, the Forum Patch gives it added protection. Fits in vest pocket real nice. I looked for a Tupperware type container, but they were all bulky, too big for any pocket. I will give a post season report on how it protects the push pin. Thanks, good luck, be safe...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 12:02:45 AM »
How did your gunsock carrier work out?

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 09:26:12 AM »
How did your gunsock carrier work out?

Worked perfectly. Kept it quiet, and well protected. Thanks, be safe....
“Solo hunter”

Offline jwm1485

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 01:05:30 AM »
I think mine is going to go in a crown royal bag this year.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 08:06:54 AM »
I think mine is going to go in a crown royal bag this year.

They work well too my friend. The good news is you get to enjoy the whiskey too......be safe, best of luck this spring..
“Solo hunter”

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 11:02:08 PM »
This may sound simple, but I just put mine in a quart ZipLock. I do the same thing with my slate calls along with the striker and scuffing pad. This seems to give adequate protection plus easy identification.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 09:12:52 AM »
All calls can be broken , I've sat on or destroyed box calls , pot calls and the like it can be done trust me

I still use a vest but im tired of searching for items in the dark also the calls sometimes end up in the fanny bag section and thats where the.trouble starts , you end up sitting on them or having a bottle of drink , bug spray or the like press up against it as YOU SIT ON YOUR CALL , even the side pockets get lots of weight thrown on them being caught between. Country boy and a old tree ...

The most fragile part on the push pin calls is the soundboard , once that's cracked it has to be removed and a new one has to be installed...$$

I tell all customers to be carefull with transporting the calls so this never happens to you , probably the worst thing you can do to ANY call is leave it in a hot car/truck that will heat up the wood ...expand it and cause resins in the wood to migrate ..this will cause the sound and tone of the call to "shift" it may even cause the wood that has been glued to seperate from each surface ....pot calls made from exotics are known to have their surface come off from this

Push pins do chatter when walking it is a free-floating ... tracked pin , socks help the most with this ..... the faintest whiff of moisture in a spring morning will cause issues
 with chalk on any box or pot call ..and same goes with my push pins ....I recommend a zip lock back , I keep mine in a nylon dress sock to keep it from chattering,  and then in a vintage map bag ...I can haul a ton more calls and get to them easily this way ... nylon doesn't absorb moisture then impart on your calls

Sometimes I put the push pins in my hunting gloves then roll those up in my face mask , put those in my bag ..when I sit down for hunting , I put the face mask and gloves on when I'm done I reverse the process..I never loose either this way

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 07:41:38 PM »
Great info.......
“Solo hunter”