OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Run and Gun decoys  (Read 4866 times)

Offline gdc23

Run and Gun decoys
« on: March 06, 2020, 09:59:22 PM »
I was always a run and gun hunter and enjoyed that style of hunting in the larger tracts of land, lately Ive been hunting smaller parcels setting up with Avian X decoys but would like to get back to run and gun in bigger country but this time with decoys. Are there any high quality decoys that are lightweight and easy to pack ?

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
Re: Run and Gun decoys
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 02:01:40 AM »
I also use the Avian X decoys and they are great but they are hard to pack around. What I wound up doing is buying a duck decoy carry bag and throw them in there with my pack and just go. It will hold three blown up decoys andy pack in it. I did see some hunter specialties decoys that looked pretty good that were hollow/foldable.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner%C2%AE-mesh-duck-decoy-bag#repChildCatid=314102
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline bower7706

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 11:36:58 AM »
I do the same as rakkin6.  Just get a nice decoy bag and its not unbearable to pack a few avians.  If i run and gun i tend to just take a single hen and call it good enough.  Most of the time i dint even put it out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 12:18:36 PM »
I am not opposed to decoys...  But have found that decoys and run & gun hunting does not necessarily go well together.

I want to move quickly, and set up quickly, and all too often I end up a lot further from the truck with a dead bird than I hoped...  I have also bungled more opportunities trying to set up decoys, when birds were far closer than I thought (or different birds than I was calling come running in).

To me, decoys with running & gunning add more stress than benefit.

That being said, I purchased a DSD hen, and an Avian X jake for running & gunning...  The DSD hen is certainly light enough, and the DSD jake is certainly lighter than the DSD jake...  Were I to run & gun with decoys today, it would be the DSD hen and the Funky Chicken though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline JMalin

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 12:48:07 PM »
The amount of cover will dictate whether I deploy a decoy or not.  When I do tote one, it’s a single hen.  Have had birds in the past shy away from jakes.  I also attempt to set up in such a way that the bird has to come looking.

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 02:34:40 PM »
I have a hen hs strut that kinda collapses. If I use it I usually put it behind me hoping that by the time the Tom can see it I can already get a shot at him

More just a diversion to keep his eyes off me

Online Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 07:07:04 PM »
I may buy a funky chicken for run and gun!

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 07:38:16 PM »
My Run & Gun pair is a DSD 3/4 Strut Jake & DSD Upright Hen, I do not usually set in timber unless open enough for them to be seen, otherwise I want him looking for me. Easy enough to carry as they both fit in the same bag.

MK M GOBL

Offline Reaper

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 10:06:04 PM »
If I’m running and gunning, I typically don’t use decoys...it’s all about moving quickly and setting up instantly at times.  Although, if I wanted, the DSD leading hen or upright hen would work - come with a good bag that’s easy to carry and the ACE technology allows for much less noise from the decoy when moving.

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 10:09:14 PM »
Montana Purrfect Pair would fit your needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gdc23

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 05:34:28 PM »
I appreciate the responses, before I found the Old Gobbler forum I used to grab a couple diaphragm calls and my vest and gun and be done with it, now I got long boxes, short boxes, pot calls, strikers, diaphragm calls decoys etc...For me taking the Avian X on a true run and gun hunt where I may cover 5+ miles in a morning is not enjoyable, I looked at the Montana Purrfect Pair after reading the suggestion here and they seem like the ideal setup, while not as realistic as a DSD or Avian X they sure are more portable.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 02:03:02 AM »
I appreciate the responses, before I found the Old Gobbler forum I used to grab a couple diaphragm calls and my vest and gun and be done with it, now I got long boxes, short boxes, pot calls, strikers, diaphragm calls decoys etc...For me taking the Avian X on a true run and gun hunt where I may cover 5+ miles in a morning is not enjoyable, I looked at the Montana Purrfect Pair after reading the suggestion here and they seem like the ideal setup, while not as realistic as a DSD or Avian X they sure are more portable.
Are  you hunting really open terrain?  Open areas are where I see decoys benefit for Run & Gun hunting...

No doubt I have seen decoys be of benefit in other situations, especially right off the roost with henned up birds.  Jake and hen decoys, and sometimes the hens will come in to challenge the hen decoy, and sometimes the toms will come in to challenge the jake decoy...

But running and gunning is usually later in the morning, and (hopefully) drumming up a lonely bird.  I get way more "hang-ups" on decoys than I do without decoys...  And I have been busted too many times trying to set up decoys, when I should have simply sat down.

I tend to cover more ground, set up more quickly, and screw up less opportunities running & gunning without decoys.

Use the terrain so that incoming birds cannot see where that hen should be...    I am generally hunting more "wooded areas" and if I am hunting a large trail or logging road, I avoid setting up on the straights of a logging road, and try to set up at the bends (or at least slight curves).  I  try and set up with the bird hopefully coming to my left (as a right-handed shooter), but making sure I can still switch and shoot to the right.

That is not to say that there are times when I would not haul decoys while running & gunning, but in the past few years, I have simply become too lazy to do so, and have found that decoys probably would not help me much on those later morning birds anyways...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline gdc23

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 05:26:28 PM »
I really dont need them that much as I am usually in the woods around fields, but occasionally I will get a gobble along a tote rd or at the edge of a field where I think they help. When Im in the timber I wont bother putting them out

Offline jims

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 10:17:51 PM »
I've had really good results with the Miss Perfect decoys.  They fold up tiny, weigh very little, and hardly take any room in a pack!  I usually don't use decoys very often while running and gunning but once in a while when I want to take a break from hiking or find a good spot I set up a couple hens and sometimes a jake.  I really like the ability to adjust the heads to a feeder or upright....or even a breeder hen with jake immediately behind her.  The price is also right!

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 02:59:00 PM »
I have the Montana decoy Jake and I also have the Avian X LCD Jake.

I plan on using my Montana decoy for quick set ups. Keeping the avian X Jake in the truck for when I need it.