OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Scouting Reports.  (Read 4511 times)

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Scouting Reports.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 09:25:27 PM »
dzsmith is exactly right. Most birds in my area are heavier than this one. He was definitely smaller, but he was a runner. He had a wide area that he stayed in and never roosted in the same spot twice. He worked some of his weight off I’d say. He had sharp 1 inch spurs so I’m gonna say he could’ve even been 3. The biggest I’ve killed weighed 24 but most around here are 16-18.

after all that....the bird I killed today weighed 14.8lbs. so my running average between the 3 birds I killed this year is 17.6lbs. This was legitimately a small bird. Small feet, small skeleton, small wings, small fan....he was just a dwarf. Not that I care lol.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline birdman67

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 06:38:29 AM »
I guess some birds are just that way. Whether they weigh 12 lbs or 25 lbs, I think we would all agree, it doesn’t matter. The memories they supply us with is indescribable. People who have never experienced it don’t understand.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2020, 07:10:02 AM »
no doubt. I could care less. If hes got a swinging beard, and im turkey hunting...hes getting shot.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2020, 07:54:16 AM »
Congrats DZ on tagging out in MS. Great season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2020, 08:14:38 PM »
thank you

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2020, 08:43:51 AM »
I went out to another wma yesterday: this 1 is a no quota permit needed wma.
I heard 1 gobble way off and could not get to him, I set up a couple times and did some calling, but no luck.
I am not sure if they are gonna shut it down, if not I will be back out next weekend. I have 1 more good quota hunt in April, that will be my best chance at a bird.

I just want to find a 2 year old that wants to play. Lol
Everyone take care and stay safe. The woods are probably the safest place to be right now.

John

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2020, 12:52:56 PM »
This being out of school thing is just about to drive me stir crazy lol. I get plenty of time to scout and listen but dang, there’s only so much you can do at the house,lol. Heard 5 this morning at one of my spots. Big hills and hollers where they’re at, problem is it’s purdy rough on the ole leg. Get to try and call one in this weekend for my nephew. We’ll be huntin green fields and blocks of woods. I’m excited
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline Dmason3

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »

Hoping these guys stick to the pattern. I can finally go next Saturday

Offline wvhoyt19

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 07:28:57 AM »
Well in all this craziness, my son and I have done a good bit of scouting. Been watching a group of 6 jakes, another group of 4 longbeards and several hens. Seems like the Longbeards are still henned up and winter flicks haven’t broken up too much but it has started. Gobbling good on the limb but once the hit the ground they have been pretty tight lipped. Should be a great year here in WV!

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »
I’ve been to my local WMA twice.  It is receiving a huge amount of pressure right now.  It’s gets a lot normally and now with people off work it is ridiculous.  My brother drove around Wednesday and couldn’t find a gate to park at, at 4:30 a.m.!  I’m hoping it lets up a little before the season is over. From what I’ve season there is minimal gobbling on the roost and they’re flying down to hens.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 08:18:52 PM »
I’ve been to my local WMA twice.  It is receiving a huge amount of pressure right now.  It’s gets a lot normally and now with people off work it is ridiculous.  My brother drove around Wednesday and couldn’t find a gate to park at, at 4:30 a.m.!  I’m hoping it lets up a little before the season is over. From what I’ve season there is minimal gobbling on the roost and they’re flying down to hens.

I believe it. I was watching one of THPs recent videos and after they left their first spot because somebody was in there they had to drive past at least 15 parked vehicle to get to another spot. "bama"..... heres what sucks. slowly but surely a lot of Midwest and other go to states are shutting down their season to non res folks....however us down south with early seasons have been getting pounded by ooser to the extreme. I figure by the time many of these northern states open they'll be closed. and we will be the only ones left to absorb the damage.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 08:27:44 PM »
I went and listened one morning when I was off last week just for giggles, and to try and locate a potential bird to take my dad hunting. I found 2 birds gobbling on the ground , on there own, later in the morning . I had to work several days after that but I would spin by that gate in the mornings just to see if people were parking there. Well there has been zero activity at that gate since I last listened. I went yesterday evening to try and listen/ roost those birds to take my dad this morning. I owl hooted until I had multiple barred owls literally on top of me cutting up like crazy. Didn't hear a single gobble. I went with my dad this morning we slipped in the woods and sat at a listening spot until 730. Never heard a peep...with the exception of one shotgun shot at 618 am in a neighboring block.....Obviously somebody limblifted one...poached more than likely. We used to that....We got up at 730 and walked an additional mile and tried locating from several locations including roosting areas. Never heard a peep. Weather wasn't great but not terrible. 1/2 sunny 1/2 over cast. No wind....but also no backround noise and pretty low pressure. I wasn't expecting much but we stayed til about 10 oclock...if a bird had heard I just could see not at least getting a courtesty gobble from one. I looked at out state harvest map....and according to the tagging statistics very few birds had been tagged in the entire sector of our state in the last several days. so its safe to assume there just hasn't been much going on....better luck next time. Didn't bother me for my dad to not kill one, but I would of at least like to have one hunt with my dad and hear some gobbling.