OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what finish should i use for box calls

Started by scoot43, March 05, 2020, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoot43

hello, from minnesota and thankyou for the invite to the oldgobbler site im new to the site and looking for a bit of help i have been making pan calls all by hand and box calls those are run from a cnc im looking for a good finish for the box calls. i have used a rust-oleum product in a spray can clear with uv resistant comes in clear satin semi-gloss and gloss i just wonder if there is something better? like a hand rubbed finish? thankyou

SS Calls

Not sure what's best but I use Deft spray lacquer in Semi Gloss.

scoot43

ok thanks i was thinking about that i have sprayed laquer on a duck call then top coat it with spar urethane also i was looking for watco exterior or watco teak oil whats your thoughts on teak oil?

Muck

I'll second using the Deft lacquer. It dries quickly and you can build up coats to whatever level of finish you prefer.

I use to be able to purchase the spray lacquer at Ace Hardware and Walmart but they stopped carrying it. Same situation at the HD. Switched to brush on lacquer which is okay. My preference is to spray in a well vented space.

Muck

scoot43

hello,yes i called and had a really nice talk with mr.s&s game calls he to said he can't get it & orders it on-line and sure enough i looked on-line at home depot&other stores no one carrys it however i can find watco spray laquer & i do have a  quart of watco brushing laquer &  i do have some spray now but high gloos and guessing they make it in satin&semi-gloss but im going to go with both your thoughts and order deft thankyou for the help very much appreciated also man it was way cool talking to mr s&s he was making box calls back in the 80's!!!!wow always good to get advice from those guys...thanks

Jeffwhitecustomcalls

I use deft and my local hardware was able to order it for me

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

squirrel

Not sure what you "should " use but I have used tongue oil and linseed oil (boiled) and liked both.  Both can be touched up and end grain can be given heavy amounts in additional applications until its ability to suck it up diminishes.  I would not hesitate to use corn or vegetable oil either for mostly the same reasons.  My calls are not for "showing off" as you might guess.

NCbowjunkie

100% tung oil with deft spray on top 
The local Benjamin Harris paint store carries it here  or any home house paint store. Not Lowe's or Home  depo