OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Weatherby SA-459 TURKEY XTRA GREEN 12 gauge  (Read 5025 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Weatherby SA-459 TURKEY XTRA GREEN 12 gauge
« on: March 04, 2020, 02:07:19 PM »
I just got a phone call and I found this gun,for a really good price brand new.I have read very good reviews on the 20 gauge version of this gun but not a lot on the 12 gauge.I was all set on a pump but for the little bit extra this gun would cost I am leaning towards buying this gun.I do plan on shooting tss and longbeards for ammo.

I have looked for this exact gun for years with no luck and it is the last one in stock and $150.00 off regular price.I have lots of pumps and am looking for a new gun to take on trips to the usa the next decade for turkeys.

How do you guys like yours?

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Weatherby SA-459 TURKEY XTRA GREEN 12 gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 08:30:56 PM »
I thought it over for a few hours and read up a bit and then purchased it and two boxes of Federal Tss #7 3". This was a 40th birthday gift for myself this year,I wanted to add either a semi 20 gauge or a new 12 gauge turkey gun to the collection and I could not be happier to get this gun and for the price I paid makes me even more excited.

I also have a .675 Undertaker hd choke that I will be using this year,I have for ammo that I can test through it...

-2 boxes of Remington Nitro turkey 2 3/4" #5 1 1/2 oz
-1 box of Winchester super x 2 3/4" #6 1 1/2 oz
-1 box of Winchester long beard xr 3" #4 1 3/4 oz
-1 box of Winchester long beard xr 3" #6  1 3/4 oz
-3 Winchester supreme 3" #5's shells
-2 Federal premium 3" #5's 2 oz shells

I plan on running a box or two of light loads through the gun and then spend a solid day when it gets nice testing everything listed.I will probably not do a lot of testing with the Tss shells as It is 57.99 a box of 5,plus tax but I definitely will pattern it at my max distance(40 yards wink wink) and at close range.I plan on loading one Tss shell and then two long beards,I will pick up a box of long beard #5's to test as well to see which long beard shell shoots the best.

I should have gun by March 9 or 10th as It is shipping from 4 hours away and that's the date it says It will arrive.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 12:30:09 PM »
Best of luck with it.... :gobble:
“Solo hunter”

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »
My gun arrived just after lunch today, I was a little nervous as I have never shouldered the sa 459 so I was buying blind but I am super impressed with the fit for me,and everything else so far.I cleaned the gunk and oil off it,put the piston on and put gun together and then added the picatinny rail and then tested both my trs 25 from Bushnell and my trophy xlt with the circle plex from Bushnell.I ended up sticking with the scope as It just feels perfect.I then added my new sling and screwed in the undertaker hd choke, I am hoping I can get out in the next few weekends and fire some shells and get it sighted in and patterned.

It will make a great gun to the collection if I can get it patterned well,It very much is built to kill gobblers.I am impressed with it, I am so tempted to start buying chokes but have decided to shoot the two I have before I buy another,just to buy one.

I will be shooting tss #7 3" from Federal out of this gun,that was my plan before I decided on a new 12 gauge,and backup with longbeards.

I have sent out an email trying to locate some camo scope rings and I may change my black rings out before I sight in and pattern the gun.

It will never take the #1 spot away from my Browning bps 12 gauge nwtf 3.5" gun but It is going in the woods and I may even use it for double duty and hunt whitetail and or coyotes as well with it.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 02:42:24 PM »
I went and picked up my tss for this gun today and I am going to purchase the Carlson Tss Heavyweight choke in .640 before I ever shoot the gun.It wont be for a few weeks but a box is 57.99 plus tax for 5 shells,I picked up 2 to start. Im not cheap but I am not messing around with an average choke,Im going straight for one that is built for the tss shells.

I love the feel of this gun,one of my favorites ever.I hope it shoots as nice as it feels while shouldering it.

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 02:55:38 PM »
Sweet looking. Them black rings look fine they add character. Good luck!

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
I went and purchased the .640 tss choke today as I was up around the place.It will be a few weeks yet before I get out to pattern the new setup.Hurry up April 25th.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 01:16:52 PM »
I took the new gun out today and did some dialing it in and patterning.I started with a low brass 2 3/4 #6 and yup,It jammed and would not eject,I knew I was chancing it seeing as I had the high brass ring in..I got the shell out and then went straight to 3" longbeard #6's at 20 yards and got it dialed in and then stepped back to 40 yards and fired one tss #7 3" and a longbeard 3" #6 and was happy.I didn't take any pics,keep any targets or count pellets as I am going to take it back out and shoot again before season starts.I never shot tss from a 12 gauge before and I can't say I would buy more as I prefer the longbeard shells for a 12 gauge.I need a new box of longbeard 6's.

The gun handles extremely well,shot well,cycled perfect  and I can not wait to carry it in the woods,It has a little kick but not going to be noticeable in a hunting situation.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
Best of luck...
“Solo hunter”

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 12:27:32 PM »
I picked up a few boxes of 3" lb #6's this morning.I like the gun with the scope as it just shoulders perfect but I am thinking about buying a Bushnell first strike to try,I just bought a vortex venom for another gun and have lots of other options but I believe I am willing to test the Bushnell out for this gun.

Offline longislandloco

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 03:26:02 PM »
Good Luck with the new gun! Happy huntin'.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 06:29:46 PM »
I just ordered a trulock .660 for this gun,I am going tomorrow to shoot and pattern a handful of guns and still going to take this to try with the .675 undertaker choke but I will also set it up when the trulock gets here.I was not impressed with the .640 heavyweight tss from Carlson at all with tss #7 at 40 yards,waste of money buying it.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 07:47:33 AM »
I am going to hold off patterning my guns today as its 50 mph winds and -9,I will go next Saturday and Sunday as I am waiting on a few new red dot/reflex sights and a choke.

I am interested in maybe getting some hevi shot to test and pattern from this gun as well.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
I am going to hold off patterning my guns today as its 50 mph winds and -9,I will go next Saturday and Sunday as I am waiting on a few new red dot/reflex sights and a choke.

I am interested in maybe getting some hevi shot to test and pattern from this gun as well.

There are ALOT better choices for TSS loads other than Federal or Hevi-18 for that matter...as in Foxtrot ammo
Burgess Creek ( Great guys to deal with and great prices)
Pendleton ammo
Nitro
Apex
Also check out Gamechanger TSS on Facebook (Josh Emory)
I believe you owe it to yourself to check out these companies before you buy ammo costing more and NOT hand loaded one at a time. Good luck and keep us posted!!! BTW Indian Creek choke tubes are worth the look as well. And I do believe Midway USA has a sale on them now.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 06:13:08 PM »

There are ALOT better choices for TSS loads other than Federal or Hevi-18 for that matter...as in Foxtrot ammo
Burgess Creek ( Great guys to deal with and great prices)
Pendleton ammo
Nitro
Apex
Also check out Gamechanger TSS on Facebook (Josh Emory)
I believe you owe it to yourself to check out these companies before you buy ammo costing more and NOT hand loaded one at a time. Good luck and keep us posted!!! BTW Indian Creek choke tubes are worth the look as well. And I do believe Midway USA has a sale on them now.
No Thanks.I am In ontario. It won't work.I own ic chokes.Yes they are excellent.I am not buying one for this gun though.