OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How An Older Guy Gets In Shape For Public Lands.

Started by quavers59, March 04, 2020, 09:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

Wellll I could make up something inspiring, but I'll just be honest. I'm 65 and I ain't walking no miles unless there is something at the end of it. I'm not into exercise just for the sake of exercise. I eat too damn much and watch too much TV. I eat what I like and have respiratory and heart disease, but by-God i enjoy life and I intend to die happy.

What I do is I work and I enjoy my hobbies. It's always season for something and most of my pursuits require physical activity. When it's turkey season I am in the woods and I cover whatever ground I need, but closer to the truck is better. I also walk the rivers and hit the lakes fishing, I hunt upland game, I garden, I work this small piece of ground I own and work family ground when needed.  When I'm not playing hard I cut firewood for the house, my maple syrup operation and to sell. In December, January and February I'm in the sugar bush working lines, tapping maple trees, gathering sap and in the sugar shack making Maple syrup. When I'm done with that I'll grab an ice tea and a snack and hit the recliner....I ain't going to no gym. Wait a minute, I supposed to be retired :TooFunny:

Muzzy61

Chase after my 5 year old grandson, best cardio I've ever had.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Harty

Sounds like you're in great shape quaver59 and others as well. Congrats to all.
At 67 I try to commit to good health in general. Eat well,YMCA daily(aerobic workout and light weights). I walk a lot outside  and rabbit hunt with the Beagle which helps keep me in shape as well.  Can't motor like I used too and had to make a few adjustments when turkey hunting , but all worthwhile.

hotspur

I do alot of walking on my job, scout 2 weeks before season ill walk in boots

Missed mallards

I'm half yalls age and a desk has done me in. Got into cardio (working out/biking) again a few weeks ago. Feel much better and trying to change from the whole sitting all day, sitting all night routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

I have found it much easier to stay in shape by doing an activity you enjoy...

I used to go to the gym, but I hate going to a gym...  It becomes easier and easier to come up with priorities or excuses to put off activities which you do not enjoy...

That is why I choose sexercise.....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Missed mallards on March 09, 2020, 04:31:36 PM
I'm half yalls age and a desk has done me in. Got into cardio (working out/biking) again a few weeks ago. Feel much better and trying to change from the whole sitting all day, sitting all night routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A desk is more deadly than TSS. Been there and done that: never again.

To bad eggshell: You could live a lot longer and enjoy your hobbies more not to mention Turkey hunting if you would get up off your backside and exercise.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

eggshell

QuoteTo bad eggshell: You could live a lot longer and enjoy your hobbies more not to mention Turkey hunting if you would get up off your backside and exercise.

The sooner I die the sooner I meet Jesus!

Oh, you have learned not to believe everything you read on the internet, haven't you? Assuming so I'll just believe your having fun too.  :funnyturkey:

mtns2hunt

Quote from: eggshell on March 10, 2020, 07:31:35 AM

QuoteTo bad eggshell: You could live a lot longer and enjoy your hobbies more not to mention Turkey hunting if you would get up off your backside and exercise.

The sooner I die the sooner I meet Jesus!

Oh, you have learned not to believe everything you read on the internet, haven't you? Assuming so I'll just believe your having fun too.  :funnyturkey:

LOL!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Howie g

At 53 , I choose to live by this code = Don't Let the OLD man in !!
   Hit the gym a few times a week , walk instead of riding that atv , eat just a little cleaner diet .
    Stay active and keep that old man at bay .

hotspur

Quote from: Howie g on March 11, 2020, 08:25:13 AM
At 53 , I choose to live by this code = Don't Let the OLD man in !!
   Hit the gym a few times a week , walk instead of riding that atv , eat just a little cleaner diet .
    Stay active and keep that old man at bay .
sound advice, I've been doing some of that. But what can I do about my hair ? :)

Howie g

Well ,, I did give up on hair in my 20s , but hey , being bald makes you look slimmer and faster  :emoticon-cartoon-012: :emoticon-cartoon-012:

LaLongbeard

Not at the old guy age yet, but I think you can hold it off if you put in some effort. I walk a lot at work miles....not a couple hundred yards. I workout with weights 3 times a week and hit the exercise bike 3 days a week for 35-40 miles.
    It makes a huge difference I can walk all day without being worn out. Nothing worse than hearing a Gobbler sounding off and your too tired to walk another 1/4 mile to kill him.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Howie g

Happy

At 39 I realize the need to stay in shape. Especially for the terrain I hunt. I try to lift weights and run at least 2 miles, 5 days a week. I dont care about being overly muscular but having a low body fat percentage and good stamina is my goal. Since I am primarily seated at work it is a priority that I eat well and take care of myself. It all pays off and I can hang with most 18-20 year olds if not outdo them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club