OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How An Older Guy Gets In Shape For Public Lands.  (Read 5425 times)

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
How An Older Guy Gets In Shape For Public Lands.
« on: March 04, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »
OK, I am 60 now and have 30 Springs + 30 Fall Seasons under my Belt. To get in Shape for Spring Turkey Season, I hike year round,hunt Pheasant in the Fall ,lift weights 3 days a week, and , I am in my 39th year of Martial Arts.    For the older Turkey Hunter here, I think one of the best ways to get ready for Public Lands is to simply walk the Flats at a good place and every few minutes- add in a Slow Run for 100 yards or so. That's the key-- walk + Run. If you have not run in years-- you may want to just start out with a run of 20 feet or so.           Just increase your walk + run segments very slowly over time . This is actually Fun when you both " walk + run".Before you know it- you are done. I do this routine only Twicea week as, I also do what, I listed above.            The " Walk+ Run"-- pretty straight forward and easy enough to get the older Spring Turkey Hunter in Public Land Shape. Just don't overextend yourself. Currently, I will go a good 5 miles with the walk + run. I can easily get up to 2 miles back if, I  need to in New York + Northern New Jersey. I am not seeing any 20 year olds back here with me. This works for me. Currently at 119 Turkeys Taken and 49 Longbeards . Hope to connect on the 50th this late April on Public. Luck out there!

Offline hotspur

Re: How An Older Guy Gets In Shape For Public Lands.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:41:36 AM »
You must be in good shape, I hunt public swamps ,I'm 54  I'm getting stoked for turkey season , I have been doing the 12 oz curls
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:04:58 PM by hotspur »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 10:29:01 AM »
Before my rotator cuffs got torn I was doing weightlifting ever day, working different muscle groups ever other day (Split routine) I have not been able to do that the last 3 years though, hoping to get back to it, I really do miss it but have to finish rehabbing the left shoulder. I hope to be good enough to shoot bow this Fall, not sure that is going to be a reality though.

So I am getting my exercise taking the dog out right now. Wanting to walk more but am having problems with the right knee which is the good knee so just going to walk the dog until after I see what the doctor says next week. I may have to get another shot in that knee, did last year and it helped. They did say it is going to have to be replaced sometime soon as well as the other.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online randy6471

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »
 I’m 58 and walking long distances to cover lots of ground while turkey hunting has always been a big key to my success. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and I had a prostatectomy. Walking was a big part of the recovery process and the timing was in the weeks leading up to turkey season, so it fit me perfect.

I’m now cancer free and walk/hike many miles per week in the winter, which I use as an opportunity to do more scouting. I’ve found that it may take me just a little longer to get where I’m going now vs 30 years ago, so I just leave a little earlier. Plus I walk far enough so that even if it takes me a little longer to get to the spot that I want to hunt....there usually isn’t anyone there but me and the turkeys anyway. Works for me.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 11:40:45 AM »
I’m 58 and walking long distances to cover lots of ground while turkey hunting has always been a big key to my success. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and I had a prostatectomy. Walking was a big part of the recovery process and the timing was in the weeks leading up to turkey season, so it fit me perfect.

I’m now cancer free and walk/hike many miles per week in the winter, which I use as an opportunity to do more scouting. I’ve found that it may take me just a little longer to get where I’m going now vs 30 years ago, so I just leave a little earlier. Plus I walk far enough so that even if it takes me a little longer to get to the spot that I want to hunt....there usually isn’t anyone there but me and the turkeys anyway. Works for me.
Glad to hear you have beaten it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 01:26:47 PM »

Congratulations on being cancer free.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 02:59:59 PM »
I'm 62 in good shape,,but hey guys think about using a mountain bike most public areas don't allow atv but bikes are fine,,sling the gun over your shoulder and go has far has you can in. They are quiet If you oil em.

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 04:12:55 PM »
In the gym twice a week and i walk a lot. Try to keep a routine and it has payed off. I cut back the gym deal during hunting season and do calisthenics and less lifting. I found this out as a couple years ago i was burning myself out with the gym and field. My muscles were not recovering. To many folks go in the woods physically unprepared,not good. Be smart, stay safe and have a good season! Old Timer

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 05:22:18 PM »
I am 57. Walk as much as possible daily. Judo and JiuJitsu twice a week . The Martial Arts  have been a part of my life for 45 years.. Now it's a way to stay healthy, flexible and remove some stress from my life. Need to get back to swimming. It's great low impact cardio for old farts.
Royal Slam 2008

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 05:45:28 PM »
I am 57. Walk as much as possible daily. Judo and JiuJitsu twice a week . The Martial Arts  have been a part of my life for 45 years.. Now it's a way to stay healthy, flexible and remove some stress from my life. Need to get back to swimming. It's great low impact cardio for old farts.
Judo was one of the hardest ones on on older body, at least for me, constantly getting thrown like that could easily lead to an injury. Jiu Jitsu is pretty easy going though, that's what I do.

Online randy6471

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 06:40:17 PM »

Glad to hear you have beaten it.

Thank you

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 06:41:16 PM »
Marshall arts, weight lifting, exercise regimens,...   Dayamm!  You guys make me feel like a real slacker!   I thought I was in pretty good shape for a 68 year old dude, but you guys put me to shame. I guess I better get with the program,...whatever that might be!     

Online randy6471

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 06:42:16 PM »

Congratulations on being cancer free.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thank you

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 07:41:01 PM »
Glad to see this post. I try to keep my weight down. Use a tread mill every other day. I have  weights in the basement along with the treadmill but find bunches of reps really boring. Instead I cut fire wood on public land all summer. Cutting, rolling and loading a truck load normally takes about four hours and all wood is cut on hill sides (the upper side). I find this does a great job conditioning the legs and ankles. Consuming a lot of water to stay hydrated is good to cleanse the body. I cut all summer and the heat can be from 60 to 100. Normally cut from daylight and finish up about 11 am. Do this for two days a week and you will not only have your winter firewood but  be in good shape. Nothing like working a chain saw.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 08:18:22 PM »
At 64 years old I walk about 25 miles a week, weather permitting,   in the big woods. Additionally working around the family property keeps me busy.

randy6471 Congratulations  on being cancer free.