OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Clover plots and more  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Struttntom

Clover plots and more
« on: March 01, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »
I’m about to plant some clover plots. My question is what is y’alls favorite clover for turkeys and what time would you plant for AR to be ready by April. I’m thinking now

Offline Lucky Goose

Re: Clover plots and more
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 01:10:35 PM »
For annual nutrition and attraction you need to consider planting a variety.  Arrowleaf, Crimson, ladino, and red clovers all peak at different times and will provide for turkeys nearly year round. 

you can plant the crimson and arrowleaf together (they are better for full sun/drier upland sites)
and ladino and red clover can be planted together as they handle shadier/moist sites better.

You can't establish a food plot in just a month and certainly not by April as killing frosts are the issue.  These clover varieties should all be planted in the fall.  But you are absolutely on the right track.  There is no better planting for turkey than clovers.  They provide green browse and attract the insects that poults need in their first few weeks of life.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:25:34 PM by Lucky Goose »

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 07:00:58 PM »
Struttn, here's my 2 cents on starting and establishing a clover plot.  IMO a clover plot should be started in the fall with a cover crop of winter wheat or winter rye.  Here is why: 1. clover is a cool weather crop and will grow better in the fall and spring 2. clover doesn't compete well with weeds 3. most clovers do better when established with good moisture not summer drought 4. if you haven't done a soil test and need lime you are setting yourself up for a BIG failure this spring.  I have had Excellent success with Durana clover.  This clover is a intermediate white clover that will grow to 15-18 inches with good moisture, fertilization and PH at 6.5 and deer and turkeys love it.  PH is a BIG factor when it comes to a plot failure.  Your PH needs to be around 6.5 with a high concentration of P and K in the soil (this is why a soil test is a MUST).  If you plant clover in the spring, drought, weeds and poor soil will almost assure you of failure.  My recommendation is get a soil sample right now, apply the lime ASAP, spray the plot with glyphosate in May and again right before you plant around the 1st of September.  Disc the plot, cultipack or run ATV tires over the plot to pack the soil down firmly, sow the seed and cultipack pack down again and pray for some soaking rainfall.  DO NOT drag or disc the seed in.  Clover seed is VERY, VERY small and only needs to be in contact with the soil to germinate and grow.  Check out Durana clover on the net and see what you think.  It should grow well in Arkansas.  Good Luck!  PM me if you have any further questions. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:40:58 PM by bbcoach »

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:39:46 PM »
Struttntom: I am in N Miss and planted some Whitetail institute Imperial Whitetail Clover last September. Did the soil test and my ph was 5.5 but I could not get a lime truck to my plot due to bad roads. So, I skipped the lime and planted anyway. It didn't grow much all winter and the deer kept what did grow mowed down very low. Once the weather warmed up in March it has taken off and is thick as carpet and 10 inches high. I have recently mowed and sprayed it for the first time and I have more clover than all the deer and turkeys in a mile radius can eat on just a 1 acre plot. I know it would taste better to the animals if it was limed properly and ph raised but all I can do is throw bagged lime on it. Now that it is established I don't have to do anything but keep it mowed and sprayed for at least 5 years.

Offline Sasha and Abby

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 07:12:09 AM »
Struttn, here's my 2 cents on starting and establishing a clover plot.  IMO a clover plot should be started in the fall with a cover crop of winter wheat or winter rye.  Here is why: 1. clover is a cool weather crop and will grow better in the fall and spring 2. clover doesn't compete well with weeds 3. most clovers do better when established with good moisture not summer drought 4. if you haven't done a soil test and need lime you are setting yourself up for a BIG failure this spring.  I have had Excellent success with Durana clover.  This clover is a intermediate white clover that will grow to 15-18 inches with good moisture, fertilization and PH at 6.5 and deer and turkeys love it.  PH is a BIG factor when it comes to a plot failure.  Your PH needs to be around 6.5 with a high concentration of P and K in the soil (this is why a soil test is a MUST).  If you plant clover in the spring, drought, weeds and poor soil will almost assure you of failure.  My recommendation is get a soil sample right now, apply the lime ASAP, spray the plot with glyphosate in May and again right before you plant around the 1st of September.  Disc the plot, cultipack or run ATV tires over the plot to pack the soil down firmly, sow the seed and cultipack pack down again and pray for some soaking rainfall.  DO NOT drag or disc the seed in.  Clover seed is VERY, VERY small and only needs to be in contact with the soil to germinate and grow.  Check out Durana clover on the net and see what you think.  It should grow well in Arkansas.  Good Luck!  PM me if you have any further questions.

Ditto

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 08:23:53 AM »
Clover is good all around, in WI we do "Frost Seeding" here in about 3-4 weeks.

MK M GOBL

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »
I always keep perienal clover chicory plots going and just frost seed a bit after the snow melts.

Also put a bit of clover with my fall planted brassicas so that the next spring there's something coming up there for the turkey and deer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>