Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Scouting Reports.

Started by bornagain64, March 01, 2020, 10:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

I made it out to my WMA this morning. My brother and I split up and we located about 7 different Gobblers. Two of them were a pair out strutting in a cutover all by themselves. I'm hoping they'll hang around until Saturday. I'm taking my little girl out on a youth hunt Saturday and I feel like we'll have a good shot a these unless we get some public interference.  I'm ready!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birdman67

Here's an update for you guys. I didn't have much time to go last week. I got out a couple times but the weather has been awful. I'm a teacher, so I got the call Thursday that we would not be returning to school until at least April 17th. I will have to teach my students using different internet resources. The good news is, I should have plenty of time over the next four weeks to get out and get us some points. The outdoors is probably the safest place to be at this time. Good luck guys and I will update again soon.
Loving God's Creation!

bornagain64

I hunted the last 2 days. I had a gobbler around me for over an hour and could not get a shot.
He came in behind us and, I only saw him for a couple seconds. By buddy could have shot him several times. The Tom would not come into our set up, he is obviously had his butt kicked several times and did not want any more.
Today I had no action at all. I will be back out there on Tuesday. I am not sure how many more times we will get with the way the world is going right now. The corona virus is effecting everything and it is hard to focus on hunting with so much going on.

I am not even sure this contest will last thru the spring season. Everyone stay safe.

turkey harvester

Our school is out till April 7th. We're doing all we can too considering the type of hands on classes we teach. Did hear 4 this morning and 2 Friday morning.
I hear ya John, with the way things are going we may have no choice but to call it. But until then I'll self isolate in the big woods lol.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

dzsmith

I got up this morning at 3am. It was raining. I left about 5 and drove to my camp an hour away. It rained the entire way there, and continued to rain until I walked out about 10 this morning. The rain did slack off but it never technically stopped. Never heard a gobbler, but I don't know if I could have heard one through the rain. It wasn't worth getting my gear wet, but I checked the forecast last night and when I left as always it was just flat out incorrect. Yes there was a chance of rain but not that much for that long. I went this afternoon for about 2 hours on public. the woods I hunted were pretty flooded. I heard a gobble in here a couple weeks ago before season, an old gobbler. To my surprise this gate didn't have a lot of fresh human activity around it, but in the 2 hours I stayed there I heard nothing. It wasn't raining, but with all the water rushing from the woods and the swollen creek I still couldn't hear as good as id like. Oh well better luck next time, I only stayed 2 hours because I had to go back to work. I really had no intention of hunting anymore public being I killed 2 there already, but I really wanted to hear a gobble today...
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

aclawrence

I've been out twice with my kids for our youth hunt. What really sucks is I saw two gobblers in a cutover the other day so I took my girl out early and we got set up in the cutover. At daylight a few birds gobbles but not very close to where we were. I called to them a got responses. We got up and moved closer to one bird but didn't have any luck and left. My brother drove by an hour after we left and he said the gobbler was out there right where we were. The next day my son and I drive to the cutover. We don't see any birds and drive on to a spot where I know a gobbler is. After a hard walk we sneak in to the spot and a turkey flys out of a tree behind us. This was around three in the afternoon. We sit there a little while then go back to the truck and drive back by the cutover. Yep the gobbler was out there again. So twice if I would have just went out there and sat down and stayed put we would have had a shot at a gobbler.

bornagain64

Hopefully he will be in that cutover next time you make it out there.
Keep at it.

turkey harvester

Third time will be the charm. Got 2 weeks till our youth season. With school being out and all of our contest canceled, I'll actually get to take my nephew on opening morning instead of working, lol. I'm walking without my crutches or a cane but still ain't 100 percent but givin it 100 percent in my effort lol.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA

Dmason3

Found one good group, about 40 total still flocked up. Hanging out right where I can get to them. Cameras up on Saturday so hopefully I'll have some good pictures this weekend

birdman67

Got a midday bird today. I went this morning and heard nothing. So I went to the house and took a break for a couple hours. I decided to go to a spot I hunted yesterday morning. I was on a bird that was henned up pretty bad. I was hoping he would be lonely today. I sat down in a small line thicket over looking a field. After about 30 minutes of soft calling, I heard a gobble in the distance. I sat and listened for a few minutes and could tell he was fired up. I gathered my things and headed his way. I got to within about 150 yards of him and sat down. It was tough to find a good spot to sit. He was in some rough stuff. I sat on the edge of a road with my back to a steep hill. After a few soft calls, he fired back. I thought he would walk straight up the road to me. Things went silent, then not one but two birds gobble right behind me up on top of the steep hill. I eased to my left and repositioned a little. One more soft yelp and here they came down that steep hill.....soon as they got to the bottom I dropped the first one. The other one ran out about 30 yards and started hammering again. It's good when you can save one for later. Looked at my watch and it was 12:40.

10 inch beard, 1 inch spurs, 14 lb 15 oz.
Loving God's Creation!

dzsmith

aclawrence

Congrats. Is that a typical weight for birds in your area?  I killed a couple two year olds last year over here in Alabama and they weighed in the 18's.

dzsmith

Im not gonna say its not because hes in another part of the state than me, but I would say that's a little below average for this early in the season for the sip. Ive killed 2 year olds that were 13lbs and ive killed 2 year olds that were 23lbs. id say they average 16-18lbs in southwest ms. really depends on if they are field birds or if they are ridge runners that run a circuit all day. Them field birds tend to get heavy.

birdman67

dzsmith is exactly right. Most birds in my area are heavier than this one. He was definitely smaller, but he was a runner. He had a wide area that he stayed in and never roosted in the same spot twice. He worked some of his weight off I'd say. He had sharp 1 inch spurs so I'm gonna say he could've even been 3. The biggest I've killed weighed 24 but most around here are 16-18.
Loving God's Creation!

bornagain64